Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:58 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,851,637 times

Advertisements

My expectations were tainted by those unreliable Hollywood critics who panned this excellent, character-extolling movie and its director Angelina Jolie. I should know by now that when they say a movie is "good", they mean it is full of special effect noise and explosions, along with gratuitous sex and violence... AND the more these Hollywood critics pan a movie; the more it is usually in-touch with the lives and interests of mainstream America.

Don't listen to the critics 'drinking their own bathwater.' See this movie! You will not be disappointed. The Christian content was well handled in the context of the movie. From what I hear, this was more extensively handled in the book, but, it wasn't ignored in the movie (which may actually result in more non-Christians wondering if they would have the faith and courage to withstand the spirit-crushing brutality faced by Zamparenni. Remember, there are more ways to get to matters of life and faith - than hearing a good sermon).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:49 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,816,379 times
Yep I believe in coincidences. It speaks entirely of the production. The fear of the Lord? They were so scared to even mention anything about God. Wow is this really happening.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:43 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,533,375 times
Default Unbroken - An Al Kresta Interview with Luke Zamperini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DssJBo5jnE

Old 01-09-2015, 01:50 AM

Default Faith: Louis Zamperini reads his Letter to the Bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rHWZQdjfHQ

Old 01-09-2015, 02:17 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,475 times
The Pope met with Angelina Jolie and watched the movie. There was an article on yahoo about it. I didn't read the article, just saw the title, so I don't know the details.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:13 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,075,267 times
There are great Buddhist teachers on the cure of love and the self-poisson of hate, perhaps Jesus learned from Buddhist or Buddhist inspired sources.
Who curses those they merely pretend-not-to-hate to hell unless they belong to the same belief club? Abandonment and Ignoring is a most severe form of hate, I think.

When you come to the end of your rope, you should find some dignity and seek enlightenment, Thankfully Jesus taught that one needed that if they wanted to live forever in heaven. Those war criminals were put in prison on no prayer of his, but on the unfolding of the world, all of these are worldly things. His guilt over not wanting to meet his end of the bargain he made while cast away at sea probably tormented him greatly in his PTSD.

He didn't even like what Billy Graham said, it could have been any fool having concerts about Jesus and it would have reminded this WWII veteran hero about what he liked about what Jesus actually said in the writings and his promise during his bargaining-with-the-highest-power attempts in WWII.

I think there would have to be a second movie explaining all of this, perhaps with flashbacks. With everyone in America pushing Christian Capitalism after WWII and during the Cold War, he would have remembered Jesus' teaching on hate and the bargain he made during those trying times.

"Jesus will solve all your problems" not true, in fact, expect that your life will be the same or worse because of righteous tribulation. Graham preached: "I don't believe that any man can solve his problems of life without Jesus Christ" "All across Europe, people know that time is running out," (...) "Now that Russia has the atomic bomb, the world is in an armament race driving us to destruction.

Quote:
After Hamblen's conversion, William Randolph Hearst sent a telegram to all his newspaper editors: "Puff Graham."[3] As a result, within five days Graham gained national coverage.[14][15] With such media attention, the crusade event ran for eight weeks—five weeks longer than planned. Graham became a national figure.[16] Henry Luce also promoted Graham with coverage at this time, and by 1954 featured him on the cover of his magazine TIME.[15] According to The Prince of War, by Cecil Bothwell, Hearst and Luce supported Graham because of his anticommunist message

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-09-2015 at 04:24 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 11:25 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The New Film “Unbroken” Left out a Huge Part of the Story it’s Based on

Did you see the movie, "Unbroken"? Here is an interesting article and video with Louis Zamperini.
I saw it this past weekend. I had read the book and wanted to see the movie. I thought they did very good job, and accurately portrayed the story his book told.

As for the question of his conversion to Christianity later in life, I respect how they did it for a couple reasons:

1. They could have easily have spent another hour showing his post-traumatic stress, his alcoholism, etc...but that wasn't the scope of the movie. This movie was already 2 hours long and it was billed as a story of survival.

2. Everything Hollywood touches that is religious in nature, they seem to screw it up. We have seen this repeatedly with the Jesus movies recently, the Noah movie, the recent Exodus movie, etc. I have not seen Angelina Jolie claim to be a Christian. I don't believe she would have intentionally mocked Zamperini's conversion (she knew him personally as a friend), but I don't believe she knew how to do it justice. This sort of thing is sacred to Christians. I'd rather them not even go into it than to screw it up.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:09 PM

I wonder how many in LA would turn out today for a revival meeting?

Old 01-09-2015, 04:15 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,816,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I saw it this past weekend. I had read the book and wanted to see the movie. I thought they did very good job, and accurately portrayed the story his book told.

As for the question of his conversion to Christianity later in life, I respect how they did it for a couple reasons:

1. They could have easily have spent another hour showing his post-traumatic stress, his alcoholism, etc...but that wasn't the scope of the movie. This movie was already 2 hours long and it was billed as a story of survival.

2. Everything Hollywood touches that is religious in nature, they seem to screw it up. We have seen this repeatedly with the Jesus movies recently, the Noah movie, the recent Exodus movie, etc. I have not seen Angelina Jolie claim to be a Christian. I don't believe she would have intentionally mocked Zamperini's conversion (she knew him personally as a friend), but I don't believe she knew how to do it justice. This sort of thing is sacred to Christians. I'd rather them not even go into it than to screw it up.
I thought the life of Pi nailed it.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I wonder how many in LA would turn out today for a revival meeting?
Los Angeles? Tens of thousands. They're multi-day events held in places like Angel Stadium (the home of Greg Laurie's annual Harvest Crusade) and the Hollywood Bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity