Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,824,888 times

Advertisements

Christianity used to practice widespread censorship, torture, and slaughter of anyone deemed a blasphemer, but it has been tamed - domesticated, if you will - by secular society.

Now, Christian terror is mainly limited to gunning down the occasional physician at a clinic, and the odd bombing here and there.

The Abrahamic religions control and kill until they are brought to heel. Christianity (and Judaism, for that matter) have mostly been brought to heel. Islam? Not so much.

That said, just as I don't blame all Christians for Eric Robert Rudolph bombing the Olympics, I don't blame all Muslims for what has happened in Paris. I do blame, however, those who not only carry out such atrocities but who enable, rationalize, justify and minimize them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 AM

23,182 posts, read 10,474,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Is that a reference to your own experience? You follow Messianic Judaism, correct? Does that happen to every Messianic Jew? (Seems to me you've stated you aren't a Christian.) It certainly doesn't happen to the average Christian. Unless that person left a tremendously conservative sect that believes in shunning.

Yes, it's what happened to me when I began following Jesus.

My wife left me over it, I lost my job, the house I had built, everyone of my friends and my entire family looks at me like I am lost, heading to hell.

I have no friends at all because of my decision to believe in the Passover of Christ, the Sukkot of Christ and his feast days.

I expected almost as much when I made the decision, but it was surprising just how many friends and family turned on me. It is really true what Jesus says, you pick up your cross and follow the same walk, and everyone will really hate you.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:19 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,207,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Christianity used to practice widespread censorship, torture, and slaughter of anyone deemed a blasphemer, but it has been tamed - domesticated, if you will - by secular society.

Now, Christian terror is mainly limited to gunning down the occasional physician at a clinic, and the odd bombing here and there.

The Abrahamic religions control and kill until they are brought to heel. Christianity (and Judaism, for that matter) have mostly been brought to heel. Islam? Not so much.

That said, just as I don't blame all Christians for Eric Robert Rudolph bombing the Olympics, I don't blame all Muslims for what has happened in Paris. I do blame, however, those who not only carry out such atrocities but who enable, rationalize, justify and minimize them.
What verse from the Bible can you use to support terrorist activities? What tenet of Christianity do you believe teaches that?

Old 01-09-2015, 11:20 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,597,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post

My wife left me over it, I lost my job, the house I had built, everyone of my friends and my entire family looks at me like I am lost, heading to hell.

I have no friends at all because of my decision to believe in the Passover of Christ, the Sukkot of Christ and his feast days.

I expected almost as much when I made the decision, but it was surprising just how many friends and family turned on me. It is really true what Jesus says, you pick up your cross and follow the same walk, and everyone will really hate you.
You expecting tells me something. either you stopped being a jerk and settled down or you got all preachy on them. my guess it is a little different than just "believing" in Jesus. Ima going out on a limb and gone say it may be because what you have done things that are not "Christ like" or something a group told you to do.

If it was because of them then you are right. When you walk with Jesus you are not allowed to do what you want when you want. I walk with Washington, lee, and grant types myself, but Jesus is ok too. And that idea to limit people's actions for the good of the group makes many Waco far lefts very angry.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:24 AM

430 posts, read 482,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post

Jehovah's Witnesses would behave like that against a member who walks away. So would a few other minor flavors of christianity.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
thats because of racism. i'm talking about jesus, man. when was the last time they killed people for drawing jesus in an obscenely funny sexual pose.

christianity has thousands upon thousands of sects, surely there is one murderous fringe group out there who would defend jesus' honor to the death! its not fair if there is none!
I remember Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ caused quite an uproar with a few fundies calling for Martin's head on the end of a post...

Old 01-09-2015, 11:39 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,207,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I remember Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ caused quite an uproar with a few fundies calling for Martin's head on the end of a post...
Did it happen? Were there a bunch of riots, with Methodists and Lutherans bombing movie theaters and killing people over it?

Old 01-09-2015, 11:43 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,188,100 times
All that "live by the sword die by the sword" nonsense.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:44 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,317,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Did it happen? Were there a bunch of riots, with Methodists and Lutherans bombing movie theaters and killing people over it?
Not so much, but you gave great exposure to something folk would of probably otherwise not have been interested in.

There will come a day when the concentration will be on what we are for rather than what we are against, then maybe folk might start listening and taking you a bit more seriously.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:47 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Here ya go:

"Anti-Christian" film met with violence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity