Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:35 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times

Advertisements

Jesus taught repeatedly that sin bottled up on the inside, hidden from everybody's view, carries the very same guilt as sin that manifests itself in the worst forms of ungodly behavior. People who hate others are as guilty as those who act out their hatred in public. Those who indulge in secret lusts are as culpable as wanton adulterers (Matt. 5:21-30).

Do you agree that Christians are not to think of secret sins as somehow less serious and more respectable than the sins everyone sees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 12:49 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,852 times
Jesus, when speaking of sin, said it was because the world does not believe in Him, the son of man.

John 17:7-11

it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.
And when he comes, he will prove the world wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:
about sin, because they do not believe in me;
about righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will see me no longer;
about judgment, because the ruler of this world has been condemned.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:24 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,314,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Jesus taught repeatedly that sin bottled up on the inside, hidden from everybody's view, carries the very same guilt as sin that manifests itself in the worst forms of ungodly behavior. People who hate others are as guilty as those who act out their hatred in public. Those who indulge in secret lusts are as culpable as wanton adulterers (Matt. 5:21-30).

Do you agree that Christians are not to think of secret sins as somehow less serious and more respectable than the sins everyone sees?
Antredd -
I agree wit you, since God sees what is in our hearts and judges accordingly. We must have the
Spirit of Christ dwelling within us to be able to have pure thoughts and actions.
Paul says in Rom. 8:[5] For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
[6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
[7] Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
[8] So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
[9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:53 AM

299 posts, read 263,935 times
Thanks, Robert. Good set of verses!
It is the Spirit of Christ who lives in every believer, empowering us to live for Christ. His fruit makes lasting changes in our character, so that we can do acts of mercy, kindness, and speaking His truth in ways that please Him. Those things done in faith by the Spirit of God will be acknowledged by the Father in the last day. Those who do not have the Spirit of Christ may do some very good and helpful things in this world (ie: help the poor, protect the elderly and children from harm, etc.) but as good as those things are, they have no eternal value.
Secret sins can remain "secret" for awhile, but the Lord has a way of making what is done in secret shouted from the housetops. If a Christian falls into sin, the Holy Spirit will convict and deal with that erring child of God. If they do not listen and repent, the Lord will allow someone/something in their lives to cause them to face their sin. If they still do not listen, it will be a mighty big fall for them. Even so, it is that God might turn that erring one around.
Because God does not usually hit hard on a Christian's sin immediately, some weak Christians tend to minimize their sins. It is the temptation the evil one hits all believers with; but those walking closer to the Lord recognize what is happening and work to avoid the temptation.
So, whether the "secret sin" is hiding lust in the heart, gossip, meddle into other people's business, greed, etc. God will confront His child, and work to bring them to repentance.
Those who do not yet know Him, He in love will point out their sin through the Bible being preached, a Christian speaking the gospel truth to them, a Christian song proclaiming truth, etc...God is faithful to continue to confront people with their need for Christ; because He is not willing that any should perish.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:00 PM

322 posts, read 243,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus, when speaking of sin, said it was because the world does not believe in Him, the son of man.

John 17:7-11

it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.
And when he comes, he will prove the world wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:
about sin, because they do not believe in me;
about righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will see me no longer;
about judgment, because the ruler of this world has been condemned.
I am not sure what translation you are using but I know that is not John 17:7-11. You may want to change that to chapter 16 if memory serves me.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT897 View Post
I am not sure what translation you are using but I know that is not John 17:7-11. You may want to change that to chapter 16 if memory serves me.
Yes, it is John 16 NRS

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.
8 And when he comes, he will prove the world wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:
9 about sin, because they do not believe in me;

Jesus was saying that those who believe in the son of man have no sin. This is another fault of mainstream Christianity in that they believe that believers are sinners. A true believer has no guilt, no sin.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:56 PM

322 posts, read 243,350 times
Quote:
Yes, it is John 16 NRS

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.
8 And when he comes, he will prove the world wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:

Jesus was saying that those who believe in the son of man have no sin. This is another fault of mainstream Christianity in that they believe that believers are sinners. A true believer has no guilt, no sin.
Well it does address the sin of the world but it does not say that the believers cannot sin or has no sin. We do sin, just as Peter did, and as scripture tells us any who claim they have no sin is a liar. But that sin is already taken care of by Jesus so no need to live in guilt over it. Just accept that you are forgiven and move on.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:53 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post

The key to understanding this section of the Sermon on the Mount is to put it in context. Immediately prior to this Jesus reiterates the importance of following Mosaic Law and then says:
Matthew 5:20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Elsewhere, e.g. Matthew 15, Jesus berates the Pharisees and scribes for concentrating on man-made rules to the detriment of even the Decalogue. Jesus is now saying that it is insufficient to just follow the letter of the (legitimate God-given) law but it is necessary to obey the spirit as well. Do not murder anyone of course – a prime commandment - but even before that avoid having the hate in your heart that fosters such acts as murder. Likewise avoid all the internal feelings that foster the desire to do evil acts.

To ask if ‘bottled up sin’ is as bad as overt sinful acts is to miss the point. That is to fall into the trap of legalism- exactly what Jesus is preaching against. One must not merely follow ‘the rules’ of the law but actually live the law from inside ourselves. That is the true righteousness that brings the Kingdom of God.

My reading of the passage anyway.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:01 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
Quote:
Yes, it is John 16 NRS

I guess that you have not spent much time with a group of "Believers". Just normal human observation shows us that WE ARE ALL SINNERS!!!! I'm a sinner that has been saved by the grace of God.

It's also totally unbiblical to say that you are without sin. The bible calls those who would make such a claim, "Liars".

Old 01-20-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I guess that you have not spent much time with a group of "Believers". Just normal human observation shows us that WE ARE ALL SINNERS!!!! I'm a sinner that has been saved by the grace of God.

It's also totally unbiblical to say that you are without sin. The bible calls those who would make such a claim, "Liars".
That is a flawed theology. Jesus said to be perfect. The son is perfect. I am perfect in the eyes of my heavenly Father.

It is impossible for man to be saved but everything is possible for god.

The son is a god. As in "I said you are gods, all of you sons of the Most High."

"Rise up O god and judge the earth."

I do nothing on my own I only say what the Lord has taught me for the One who sent me is with me He has not deserted me because I always do what pleases Him.

I do nothing on my own I judge as I hear and my judgment is righteous because I am not seeking my own will but the will of Him who sent me.

The Lord who sent me commanded me what to say and how to speak and since I know His commandment is eternal life what I say is spoken just as He instructed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity