Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

For some NO, it cannot be done.

Others, rationalize and accept microevolution.

Others accept evolution and understand genesis is an allegory.

A FEW CHRISTIANS THAT ACCEPT SCIENCE

Quote:
John Polkinghorne
Royal Society Member, theoretical physicist, theologian, Anglican priest

"Science cannot tell theology how to construct a doctrine of creation, but you can't construct a doctrine of creation without taking account of the age of the universe and the evolutionary character of cosmic history."

John D. Barrow
Cosmologist, theoretical physicist, mathematician

“If a ‘religion’ is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Gödel has taught us that, not only is mathematics a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one.”

William Phillips
Physicist, 1997 Nobel Prize in Physics

"As for the age of the earth and the universe, within the usual limits of any scientific conclusions, I believe that the present calculations of about 4 billion years for the earth and 14 billion years for the universe are not far wrong, and I see no conflict with that understanding and my understanding of the Bible."
I suspect that some hard core Sola Scriptura literalists feel they must take the creation as truth because otherwise their belief system crumbles. However, plenty of Christians that are highly educated see no conflict.

Why are so many forum members afraid to admit that Genesis may be an allegory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
I guess it depends on the definition of "Christian." The term "Christian" can mean almost anything, from atheists who are "culturally" Christian (on one end of the spectrum) all the way to the stereotypical bible-thumping biblical literalists (on the other end).

It's very hard (if not impossible) to reconcile evolution with a literal reading of Genesis and a literal reading of Paul's "as in Adam all die, so in Christ" theology in 1st Corinthians 15. That's why many biblical literalists reject evolution. It contradicts the whole notion that death is God's punishment for the Original Sin of Adam and Eve.

I grew up with that stuff, so I know it all too well.

Look up the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod online for more information. Theology and doctrine are very important in that church, so they have most of their doctrinal statements available under the "about us" tab.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:50 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Lots of Christians accept science, including evolution. Same with many other religions being accepting that science is not a threat nor an attack on their religions.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Sensible, educated Christians have no problem reconciling God-belief with the fact of evolution.

And despite what seems to be evidence to the contrary in this forum, most Christians are sensible and educated.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:58 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
The point seems to be that for some, there IS no difference in literary forms or styles: everything is to be taken as history or presentation of factual events.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The point seems to be that for some, there IS no difference in literary forms or styles: everything is to be taken as history or presentation of factual events.
Is that a safety blanket? Could it be they haver enormous fear to face the obvious?

What concerns me is the shyster style of most creation websites and creation speakers.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:19 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Sensible, educated Christians have no problem reconciling God-belief with the fact of evolution.

And despite what seems to be evidence to the contrary in this forum, most Christians are sensible and educated.
True. I know a number of well-educated Christians who not only accept but understand evolution. Turning our brains to "off" isn't a prerequisite for being a Christian. Thank goodness.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:20 AM

This content of this guy lecture is awful and he comes across as a shyster talking to a very naive audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DXs3B9uEuI

He makes a couple million dollars a year with this farce. He also has a Christian dinosaur park.
And has been indicted for fraud.

Quote:
Kent Hovind

It has been a tough month for Kent Hovind. Doctor Dino, as he is known, needs no introduction to my regular readers, but I ask for their patience, as I give newcomers a little background. Kent Hovind is one of the leading lights in Young Earth Creationism. YEC follows a hyper literal reading of the Bible to arrive at the world being roughly 6,000 years old. There is no such thing as prehistoric in the YEC view – just antediluvian. Antediluvian means before the Flood, which is used to account for the geologic evidence of a much older earth. One of the implications of YEC is that people and dinosaurs must have been running around at the same time, a concept dear to Kent Hovind’s heart, giving him the Doctor Dino sobriquet and inspiring him to have his ministry, Creation Science Evangelism, create a theme park called Dinosaur Adventureland.

Tax Adventures In Dinosaur Adventureland

CSE and the park were the focus of Kent’s tax problems which earned him a long sentence in federal prison. He considered the ministry to be tax exempt and had taken a vow of poverty. He considered the people who worked there to be missionaries and paid them in cash without filing payroll tax returns. In his criminal prosecution, the greatest number of counts was for something called “structuring” – systematically keeping cash deposits and withdrawals below $10,000 to avoid currency reporting requirements.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Yes. Not easy perhaps, but quite possible. I say not easy as you have to do quite a lot of rationalizing mental gymnastics to reconcile part of the Bible as myth with the NT as fact (even with the rather speculative opinions of Paul taken as life -changing authoritative -textbook quotable fact) but if you are determined to keep both what can't reasonably be denied and what can't willingly be dismissed, then it is possible.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes. Not easy perhaps, but quite possible. I say not easy as you have to do quite a lot of rationalizing mental gymnastics to reconcile part of the Bible as myth with the NT as fact (even with the rather speculative opinions of Paul taken as life -changing authoritative -textbook quotable fact) but if you are determined to keep both what can't reasonably be denied and what can't willingly be dismissed, then it is possible.
I suspect most theoretical physicists that remain Christian are likely cultural Christians that require a bit of spirituality.

And Richard Dawkins likes to sing Christmas Carols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity