Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 11:08 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Well, I'm not gay. Now, that said, gays do not effect me nor do they concern me in any way. I am only responsible for myself and what anyone else believes or thinks is of no concern or responsibility of mine. I preach nor attempt to convert no one at all. I was only curious as to why atheists seem to be so concerned about how what Christians believe effects them? Why is it really any of their business at all?
Religious beliefs affect everyone especially with regards to law. Some states even make it illegal (albeit against the constitution) for an Atheist to hold a position of power.

Atheists are considered one of the most distrusted and disliked groups and in some studies are even at the very bottom behind Muslims.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:11 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times
Offended by the cross/truth:

Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you? Why does the truth offend?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:17 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,341,225 times
Quote:
Actually, I would claim they are simply those who must dictate to others how they should live and what they should believe. They are meddlers in other people's affairs.
You mean like calling out homosexuals, calling folk sinners and telling them they need to repent or face the wrath of God(yes i know you believe in UR) ?. It seems to me that you want(and you have) the liberty to say what you want and not to expect a response unless it is agreeable to you. Jesus had to put up with folk resisting his message where ever he went(no prizes for guessing where it was coming from), then these same folk calling him Beelzebub, water off a ducks back to Jesus...

Offended because what you are saying is rejected? and your responses smack of it, you should study how Jesus handled it.

Last edited by pcamps; 01-16-2015 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 11:17 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
Quote:
Spelling of proper nouns is not my area of expertise.
Whatever. You can actually learn how to spell the name of the man who is responsible for the success of our space program ....or you can guess. Your choice.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:23 AM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

Yeah, it's a wild world out here.
You ever see The Matrix (movie)? I sometimes feel like the guy who "took the red pill."

Old 01-16-2015, 11:26 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You ever see The Matrix (movie)? I sometimes feel like the guy who "took the red pill."

Very apropos! You are definitely in the process of freeing your mind.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:29 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,012,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's pretty obvious the OP and many respondents are misinformed about atheism and fear and loathe atheists. But it's also understandable.

It's mostly the fundamentalists who resent the incursions of the godless. Fundamentalists prefer a black and white worldview. It keeps things simple, which is important to them.

Atheists introduce doubt where there was certainty. They introduce objective, scientific truths which contradict biblical stories and are difficult to deny.

In short, atheists make fundamentalists' brains hurt. And, since they don't believe in God, they most certainly must be minions of Satan.
Sir, your "nutshells" are always enjoyable to read.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:33 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,337,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It takes a lot of faith to be an atheist, so I think the obsession is about looking for re-assurance from the like-minded.

The other reason is that they are simply offended by the cross

It takes no faith to be an atheist. If I was relgious I would not be a believer in the cross anyways, at least if I stayed with the religion of my forefathers.

My memory of the Catholic Church for example was the preist was my Little League baseball and Tiny Mites and Pee Wees hockey coach and an all round great guy and not interested in little boys in the negative meaning. No reason to be offended by your symbols. Nor I am here looking for reasurances. In some of the atheist forums the Christains come there to attack and make so many false claims and the regulars on those forums strick back hard. So I came here where there are civil and sensible discussions on my quest to find out what makes a certain portion of any the dominate religious belief to believe and think how they do.

And to the OP trying to learn what others think or what makes them think the way they do is called curiosity not a mental disorder, nor is not believing in your God an act of cowardness. I did look up the titles on the first page of thread under Christainity and there were two I would consider as maybe anti-Christian threads, in the Atheist forum here a similar number but less threads on the page. If my memory is correct the last time I looked on the Islam page there was a higher percentage of anti-Islam threads than there are on this forum.

Most of the Christians I have have converstation with on this forum have been polite and seem to enjoy the exchange of views and that has included fundamentalists who although I cannot agree with much of their positions I do not hate them nor would I resort to name calling or insulting their mental state nor their intelligence. Perhaps their lack of knowledge or proper education on some subjects but the same could be said for everyone else too if you broaded the subject matters.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:37 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,484,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I spent about 30 years of my life either as a cultural Christian or as a dedicated Christian. I met some rather good friends and had some good times here and there, but for the most part, after escaping from the grip of Christianity, I realize how traumatized I really was/am. I literally HATE church. While there are some Christians songs I still love, when I hear some of them, they take my mind back to a mixture of good emotions (hanging out with friends and taking trips) and bad emotions (being bored out of my mind at times, being horrified at times among other things). I literally try to distance myself from ANYTHING to do with my Christian past and try to deal with the regret of practically wasting much of my life chasing a pipe dream.

All of that being said, just yesterday, I was speaking to an old friend from my Christian days and from a past conversation, he was made aware that I am no longer a Christian and have no reason for Church nor do I go. So I was telling him about my new path in life and how happy I am with it. He was able to ascertain that I am the SAME person (without the religion) and yet, as the call was ending, he pleaded with me to start going back to church and to reconsider "God." Ugh!

I am a black man and like folks in the U.S South, there is just this assumption that I MUST be a person who believes in God. Other black folks talk to me in Gospel speak because it is just assumed that I pray, that I believe in God, that I believe in heaven and hell and that I believe "God is gonna work it out." When I start to hear the "Gospelese," it makes me cringe and I am left with this weird situation of not knowing how to answer or react. The assumption is forced on me and if I speak up and saying anything remotely close to not believing in the hocus pocus, it steers the conversation in an entirely different direction and the analyzing starts.

A family I know from my Christian days is about to lose their eldest sibling to cancer and so I called to offer support. In the course of the conversation I heard:

"We are praying for the best."

"God is good and he knows best."

"Just keep us in your prayers."

"God is a god of miracles."

Then the conversation went off to asking me about what church I attend and blah blah blah. This conversation came after a conversation the week before with another former church friend who started talking about church life, changes in his theology and the death of his father and then telling me all about heaven.

For those moments when I have had an opportunity to say something dissenting, I have been talked down, not given a chance to get a word in edge wise and essentially threatened. My own mom got wind of the fact that I use Facebook as a platform to gently tell my sphere of friends I no longer believe. As a result, I got a call, that was actually a scolding, in which she told me I was embarrassing her and that I should stop telling people I don't believe in God. For an entire hour, my mother went in on me to the point where she told her I stressed her out with the thought that I might go to the "other place."

When I come to these type forums, I get a chance to learn a few things and also to hone my ability to speak my position and not be afraid or feel that I am alone. Also, as with Alt Thinker, I actually appreciate the bible because I am a history buff and find it fascinating to see how religious beliefs shaped the course of history or how history shaped religion. I don't HATE "God" or the Bible, but I do believe there is some real flawed thinking out there, ESPECIALLY among my own black folks who, in there disenfranchised state, still look for a sweet chariot to swing low and carry them home.
Sounds to me like personal problems most adults would readily handle themselves in privacy.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:37 AM

322 posts, read 243,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It takes a lot of faith to be an atheist, so I think the obsession is about looking for re-assurance from the like-minded.

The other reason is that they are simply offended by the cross
I don't have enough faith to be an atheist. Even with all the other here to reassure me.

Nail on the head! It's the cross that offends so many just as foretold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity