Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What style of music does your church play on Sunday mornings?
True Praise and Worship 1 8.33%
More of the contemporary music heard on the radio 5 41.67%
Primarily hymns 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times

Advertisements

It seems that today more and more churches are getting on the contemporary Christian music bandwagon in their church services. Sadly my church has taken that route as well. I've shared with a few friends that the church could save a lot of money by turning on the local radio station and just letting it play during the service, because that is really what we are doing anyway. I know it's a bit sarcastic of a comment but I'm so tired of standing there listening to music that does not connect us with God. Yes, it's great music that does touch people, but it's not meant as worship to God. Songs that talk about what God has done for me and talk about my feelings, and are all about me are NOT worship.

Songs that exalt God like, Awesome God, or Be Exalted and so on are ones that need to be brought back into the church service. And not just adding one song in to pacify the body as a courtesy, but to genuinely return to what worship is all about. It's about focusing yourself on God, who He is and thanking Him for all the He is. And worship is so much more. It's difficult to put into words what it's like to have your spirit in direct connection with the Holy Spirit, knowing that you have entered into true praise and worship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 04:35 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,402 times
I can find no difference between older hymns and Contemporary Christian Music. Just take a look at the words to the top CCM songs right now, such as MercyMe's 'Greater' or Lauren Daigle's 'How Can It Be' or Chris Tomlin's 'Jesus Loves Me'. All these lyrics can be found in many of the classic hymns you claim are the correct songs for worshipping God.

I know from experience that I have some of the best worship times on my daily commute listening to CCM.

As King David did, we are called to sing praises and thanskgivings to God, worhsipping Him always. We should dance, leap and play instruments to gve glory to God!

The notion that the only correct instrument to worship God is an organ played by a 75 year old woman is a wholly contrived one, a restriction put in place by men.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:54 PM

134 posts, read 239,383 times
If it works for you, then go for it. I do not see anything wrong with it but it is not my thing. I attend a traditional Anglo-Catholic Episcopal Church and we do not have any praise and worship services. We have traditional hymns, chants, ect.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:37 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
I miss the hymns, sung in four-part harmony.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:56 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
How can people enjoy music that's about the joy they get from the future pain and torment of the many non-believers? What kind of abusive upbringing would someone have had, they they would find that so joyful?

Because even if it's a "happy" song (or especially if it is) that is really the true other message in the song.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:08 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Define "TRUE"praise music? as opposed to "false" praise music? Would Twila Paris be more true than Amy Grant?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:21 AM

299 posts, read 263,875 times
Your poll does not give a Biblical option, so I chose the literal one.
Look what the New Testament teaches regarding worship through song:
Matthew 26:30:And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives
John 4:23-24:But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Acts 16:25:And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
Ephesians 5:18-20:And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ
Colossians 3:16: Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Hebrews 12:28:Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear
There are other verses in the NT, but these are a sufficient representative of the way we are to worship in the New Covenant in Jesus Christ. There is a difference between Old and New Covenants (Testaments), because Christ has brought a New and Living Way (Heb 10:20-21). The book of Hebrews especially makes it clear that the Old Testament was a book of shadows; pictures of what was to come in Christ. These shadows/pictures were physical representations of the spiritual. Hence: a physical land (Israel) with a physical people (the Jews) vs. a spiritual land (heaven) and a spiritual people (the redeemed of the earth--the Church). A physical temple (in Jerusalem) vs. a spiritual temple (our bodies; a part of the Body of Christ). Etc. So to be faithful to the New Testament/Covenant relationship with God, you do not just pull everything from the Old and apply it to the New.
The same can be said about worship and its music.
Many say in defense of instruments (especially with drums, cymbols, etc.) that these were used in the OT so we should too. However, a careful inspection of those passages reveals that: a) they were shadow representatives that are now fulfilled in Christ; b) there is no command for them in the NT; c) there is no recording of them being used by believers in the NT or even in the first couple of centuries after the Apostles. Finally: instruments were added later as liturgies, formalities, etc. enveloped Christendom. Before that, the worship service was restful and reverent; with Psalms (from the Bible), hymns (based upon Scripture: which bring worship and adoration to God, the message of salvation to man, and basic Bible truths), and spiritual songs (reflections of one's joy in Christ).
This was the historic understanding of worship in song for all but the liturgical (Roman Catholic, Lutheran) churches. Even the Reformed/Presbyterian were without musical accompaniment for a long while before they accepted first the organ, then piano, then more instruments. Baptists, until the 20th century, were acapella. The churches of Christ were and many still are acapella; as are Plymouth Brethren,
Our church uses what I have just described: acapella (without musical instrument accompaniment) singing of psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. It is beautiful, heartfelt, joyful, reverent, and meaningful. You can hear all the words. No one needs earplugs to join us. Young and old alike enjoy it--even if they've never experienced it before.
So...really, we sing with true praise, according to the New Testament Scriptures.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I miss the hymns, sung in four-part harmony.
jimmiej,
I don't know where you live, but I encourage you to look for a small New Testament congregation. Whether you talk about Baptist, church of Christ, open Plymouth Brethren, or independent NT church like our own, you'll find hymn singing. Once in awhile, you'll even find 4 part harmony in acapella in a Baptist church, though they often like their pianos. The rest of the churches I mentioned you can find 4 part harmony acapella.
Here's a few songs to bless you, in various "flavors":
Taste #1: Deep Java

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk1b9w86ZYE

Old 02-27-2015, 09:30 AM

Taste #2: Vanilla Latte:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouIc...=RDl78HOLpj2j0

Old 02-27-2015, 09:33 AM

Taste #3: Smooth Espresso:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN8p...82B63B3218327A

My apology to anyone offended by my use of coffee language. It's early, and I haven't had enough of my morning cuppa yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity