Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The optimist sees this world as "as good as it gets." The pessimist fears the optimist is right.
If you asked me, "Is the glass half-full or half-empty."
I would probably drink it, and say: Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:09 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Why choose when, as many believe, you can have both. Simply make a one time profession of Christ and then live however you like. You've had your ticket punched and you are going to heaven. Be as selfish as you wish and ignore the needs of others--they can pray just like the one-time decision maker. In fact the one time decision makes UR look positively inviting. That's the evangelical version of UR---you do have to do something---once!

A faith that requires work and decisions, and prayer to God about the most effective way to be a servant to others even as Jesus was a service to men, is simply too hard and doesn't appeal to our selfish natures.

And a better question still is---If there were no biblical assurances of heaven, would one still live in a manner pleasing to Jesus?

The optimist sees this world as "as good as it gets." The pessimist fears the optimist is right.
You know what? The question was hypothetical and was not intended to start another ET/UR war. Let's leave that debate out of this thread.

I am wondering if/why people value free will with its inherent risks, or if they'd prefer not to be given the right to choose for themselves and have a guaranteed entrance to Heaven.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:25 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, you just wanna have fun, don't you? But suppose your bad choices had bad consequences. Would that make a difference?

To do otherwise, is to live a life totally without serendipity - a prospect that makes me shudder.
So you'd take the risk rather than going for Door #2, even though with Door #2, you couldn't lose? Of course, your response is coming from a non-Christian perspective, so I'm not entirely sure it's telling me what I want to know. But thanks anyway. [/quote]

There are no "bad" consequences, when we have "Kobayashi Maru," just results we have managed to use to our benefit.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
There are no "bad" consequences, when we have "Kobayashi Maru," just results we have managed to use to our benefit.
I'm going to start reporting off-topic posts.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Are there more pros than cons to free will? Would coercion to be obedient with guaranteed success be preferable in your mind?

Old 02-04-2015, 10:18 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Interesting quote. I'd have said that with "Kobayashi Maru" there are no "good" consequences. How are your figuring?

Old 02-05-2015, 07:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He knows it . . . but since he always pretends he doesn't and perpetuates the lie about UR . . . it has to be deliberately deceptive posting to disparage UR.
Not really - no pretense here. We all have free will and either have salvation and eternal life, or we don't.

The 'LIE' of "Universal Reconciliation" is that all will ultimately be reconciled with God and spend eternity in heaven ... regardless of one's choices in this life. (door #3)

That simply isn't true, but, then, that's 'only' what the Bible says.

Last edited by jghorton; 02-05-2015 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The 'LIE' of "Universal Reconciliation" is that all will ultimately be reconciled with God and spend eternity in heaven ... regardless of one's choices in this life. (door #3)
Actually, my thread is about only two doors -- and my OP described only described a hypothetical choice anyway, I'd really appreciate it if the debate could be on my initial question.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:13 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He knows it . . . but since he always pretends he doesn't and perpetuates the lie about UR . . . it has to be deliberately deceptive posting to disparage UR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Not really - no pretense here. We all have free will and either have salvation and eternal life, or we don't.
That simply isn't true, but, then, that's 'only' what the Bible says.
That is NOT what UR says and you have been told this many times. You prefer the lie. We have free will and it has nothing to do with being saved or not. Only Christ had anything to do with our salvation. We are all saved . . . but we are not all sanctified under His agape love for us all. That is where our free will comes in. We can follow His instructions to His disciples to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't . . . or we can suffer the consequences of our free choices. We WILL reap whatever we sow . . . but no more and no less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, my thread is about only two doors -- and my OP described only described a hypothetical choice anyway, I'd really appreciate it if the debate could be on my initial question.
The debate IS on your initial question, Katz. UR has no effect on our free will choices or their consequences as implied in your hypothetical.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Since, presumably, everybody here hasn't committed suicide it's safe to assume they've all picked door #1 over the supposed perfect, mindless Heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity