Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:57 PM

1,100 posts, read 796,094 times

Advertisements

For those wondering if the Israelites deliverance by the hand of God really did happen, here is an example of non-believing scientists explaining the evidence away of His divine intervention.

Quote:
Researchers believe they have found evidence of real natural disasters on which the ten plagues of Egypt, which led to Moses freeing the Israelites from slavery in the Book of Exodus in the Bible, were based.

But rather than explaining them as the wrathful act of a vengeful God, the scientists claim the plagues can be attributed to a chain of natural phenomena triggered by changes in the climate and environmental disasters that happened hundreds of miles away.
More to the article at this link below.

Biblical plagues really happened say scientists - Telegraph

It is important to note the conclusion to the article.

Quote:
The problem with the naturalistic explanations, is that they lose the whole point.

"And the whole point was that you didn't come out of Egypt by natural causes, you came out by the hand of God."
I mean, really. How could Moses know of the series of events that were to occur unless God told him?

And if there really was such a natural explanation that would be observable at that time, why would the Pharoah ever let the Hebrew slaves go? He would simply laugh at Moses.

And there really is no way to explain the last plague naturalistically for how only the first born of each family will die unless they have the blood of the lamb over the door posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
One of the things that always plays-out in the Bible vs Science debate is that science inevitably 'proves' the Bible was true --- because it is! It's pretty difficult to indefinitely 'disprove' the truth. Wise men have more fulfilling lives because they trust God and scripture ... rather than waiting for 'science, politicians or philosophers' to eventually 'discover' the truth/s.

Similarly, the Bible provides the 'End of the Story', so that Bible-believing Christians aren't the one's wringing their hands in fear and despair over the terrible trends ('birth pains') evident in today's world.

Last edited by jghorton; 02-06-2015 at 07:31 PM..

Old 02-06-2015, 07:24 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Several years ago, James Cameron did a documentary showing a scientific basis for the plagues.

I believe this is the the documentary DECODING EXODUS, but I am not sure.

In particular, the deaths of the firstborn were attributed to CO2 gas emissions from lakes under certain circumstances. The highborn slept on the ground level of the dwellings while the lesser children sleep high up. Kinda like bunk beds. The clouds of CO2 drifted in, sticking close to the ground, and the highborn suffocated in their sleep.

Regarding the conclusions of the documentary:

In the 2006 documentary Exodus Decoded, filmmaker Simcha Jacobovici [produced by James Cameron] hypothesized the selectiveness of the tenth plague was under the circumstances similar to the 1986 disaster of Lake Nyos that is related to geological activities that caused the previous plagues in a related chain of events. The hypothesis was that the plagues took place shortly after the eruption of Thera (now known as Santorini), which happened sometime between 1650 BCE and 1550 BCE, and recently narrowed to between 1627–1600 BCE, with a 95% probability of accuracy. Jacobovici however places the eruption in 1500 BCE. According to the documentary, the eruption sets off a chain of events resulting in the plagues and eventually the killing of the firstborn. Jacobovici suggests that the firstborns in ancient Egypt had the privilege of sleeping close to the floor, while other children slept at higher levels or even on roofs. This view, however, is not supported by any archaeological or historical evidence. As in Lake Nyos, when carbon dioxide or other toxic gases escape the surface tension of a nearby body of water because of either geological activity or over-saturation, the gas or gases, being heavier than air, "flood" the surrounding area displacing oxygen and killing those in their path.

PS the Lake Nyos of 1986 disaster showed the plausability of the water turning to blood, as well as the CO2 hypothesis, if I recall correctly. Those who write off the ten plaques as pure fantasy should be aware tht we have at least two modern examples. and plausibility for several of the others.
SOURCE

Last edited by chuckmann; 02-06-2015 at 07:39 PM..

Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,125,890 times
Didn't they run through that list in The Reaping

Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 PM

299 posts, read 263,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
For those wondering if the Israelites deliverance by the hand of God really did happen, here is an example of non-believing scientists explaining the evidence away of His divine intervention...And there really is no way to explain the last plague naturalistically for how only the first born of each family will die unless they have the blood of the lamb over the door posts.
Its always interesting to see these "discoveries", isn't it?
I will slightly improvise a quote attributed to Robert Jastrow: "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled over the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak. Pulling himself over the final rock, he begins his slow ascent up the Mountains of Wisdom. At the peak of the Mount, he is greeted by a band of Bible believing Christians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,154,471 times
Did you all even read the article? It claims that said disasters were the result of volcanic eruptions and climate changes, not a deity.

I guess that means little to folks who desperately WANT TO BELIEVE.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:15 PM

19 posts, read 21,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Did you all even read the article? It claims that said disasters were the result of volcanic eruptions and climate changes, not a deity.
Did you ever hear of using a tool to perform a task? The OT is full of instances if you'd care to take a look.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:18 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
For those wondering if the Israelites deliverance by the hand of God really did happen, here is an example of non-believing scientists explaining the evidence away of His divine intervention.

More to the article at this link below.

Biblical plagues really happened say scientists - Telegraph

It is important to note the conclusion to the article.

I mean, really. How could Moses know of the series of events that were to occur unless God told him?

And if there really was such a natural explanation that would be observable at that time, why would the Pharoah ever let the Hebrew slaves go? He would simply laugh at Moses.

And there really is no way to explain the last plague naturalistically for how only the first born of each family will die unless they have the blood of the lamb over the door posts.
This is old news to me...

Old 02-06-2015, 08:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT Fellowship View Post
Its always interesting to see these "discoveries", isn't it?
I will slightly improvise a quote attributed to Robert Jastrow: "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled over the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak. Pulling himself over the final rock, he begins his slow ascent up the Mountains of Wisdom. At the peak of the Mount, he is greeted by a band of Bible believing Christians who have been sitting there for centuries."
Jastrow said the scientist is met by a band of theologians. There is a HUGE difference between a band of Bible believing Christians and a band of theologians. Huge.

Improvising, IMHO, is best left to jazz musicians

Old 02-07-2015, 07:03 AM

1,100 posts, read 796,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
One of the things that always plays-out in the Bible vs Science debate is that science inevitably 'proves' the Bible was true --- because it is! It's pretty difficult to indefinitely 'disprove' the truth. Wise men have more fulfilling lives because they trust God and scripture ... rather than waiting for 'science, politicians or philosophers' to eventually 'discover' the truth/s.
I agree.

Quote:
Similarly, the Bible provides the 'End of the Story', so that Bible-believing Christians aren't the one's wringing their hands in fear and despair over the terrible trends ('birth pains') evident in today's world.
Unfortunately, that is true in spite of the warnings from Jesus towards saved believers in not being found abiding in Him and His words as His disciples by trusting Him as their Good Shepherd to guide them in discerning & departing from all iniquity in running that race for the high prize of our calling so that they are the chosen to attend the Marriage Supper.

Luke 12:40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not. 41 Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all? 42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season? 43 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. 44 Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath. 45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken; 46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. 47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more. 49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?

John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples....13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. 16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. 17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Luke 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. 34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. 35 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. 36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

May every saved believer having His seal trust Jesus as their personal Good Shepherd, and not the pastor, nor their church, nor their "visiting spirit" thinking that is the Holy Spirit or an "angel", because there are alot of false prophets and false spirits in the world.

The real indwelling Holy Spirit would lead them as the bride to the Bridegroom, in keeping their eyes on the Son because the Son is the One getting them ready and keeping them ready to go.

The pre tribulational rapture event is about God judging His House first due to the falling away from the faith. Those saints that did not look to Him as their Good Shepherd to depart from iniquity & keep them from iniquity daily may find themselves left behind to be gathered later on as the prodigal sons when He comes back as the King of kings to judge the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity