Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:11 AM

1,100 posts, read 798,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Several years ago, James Cameron did a documentary showing a scientific basis for the plagues.

I believe this is the the documentary DECODING EXODUS, but I am not sure.

In particular, the deaths of the firstborn were attributed to CO2 gas emissions from lakes under certain circumstances. The highborn slept on the ground level of the dwellings while the lesser children sleep high up. Kinda like bunk beds. The clouds of CO2 drifted in, sticking close to the ground, and the highborn suffocated in their sleep.

Regarding the conclusions of the documentary:

In the 2006 documentary Exodus Decoded, filmmaker Simcha Jacobovici [produced by James Cameron] hypothesized the selectiveness of the tenth plague was under the circumstances similar to the 1986 disaster of Lake Nyos that is related to geological activities that caused the previous plagues in a related chain of events. The hypothesis was that the plagues took place shortly after the eruption of Thera (now known as Santorini), which happened sometime between 1650 BCE and 1550 BCE, and recently narrowed to between 1627–1600 BCE, with a 95% probability of accuracy. Jacobovici however places the eruption in 1500 BCE. According to the documentary, the eruption sets off a chain of events resulting in the plagues and eventually the killing of the firstborn. Jacobovici suggests that the firstborns in ancient Egypt had the privilege of sleeping close to the floor, while other children slept at higher levels or even on roofs. This view, however, is not supported by any archaeological or historical evidence. As in Lake Nyos, when carbon dioxide or other toxic gases escape the surface tension of a nearby body of water because of either geological activity or over-saturation, the gas or gases, being heavier than air, "flood" the surrounding area displacing oxygen and killing those in their path.

PS the Lake Nyos of 1986 disaster showed the plausability of the water turning to blood, as well as the CO2 hypothesis, if I recall correctly. Those who write off the ten plaques as pure fantasy should be aware tht we have at least two modern examples. and plausibility for several of the others.
SOURCE
Interesting, but one would think if that be really the case, the instructions to avoid death would be to keep all the children & adults from sleeping on the ground level instead of putting blood over the doorposts. There has to be some significance to these instructions since this event was carried over as a Jewish tradition called Passover. One would think never sleeping on the ground to avoid death would be the Jewish tradition carried over, but not so.

I doubt they had any warning that this event was about to happen other than from God; and so one has to wonder if there wasn't something supernatural to all of this other than a natural explanation.

Thanks for sharing though. I can see how God can use nature to fulfill His will, but I think He had more of a hand in it than just setting nature in motion to accomplish it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
Didn't they run through that list in The Reaping
Thanks for sharing that link to that fictional movie. It looks interesting.

One has to wonder how Moses knew about that sequence in that list that it favoured his cause to get the Pharoah to finally let the Hebrew slaves go.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT Fellowship View Post
Its always interesting to see these "discoveries", isn't it?
I will slightly improvise a quote attributed to Robert Jastrow: "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled over the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak. Pulling himself over the final rock, he begins his slow ascent up the Mountains of Wisdom. At the peak of the Mount, he is greeted by a band of Bible believing Christians who have been sitting there for centuries."
God's truth is like that when seekers find out that the so called "facts" they have been relying on were from fallible men using fallible devices in a fallen world which was making the obvious truth hard to find.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Did you all even read the article? It claims that said disasters were the result of volcanic eruptions and climate changes, not a deity.

I guess that means little to folks who desperately WANT TO BELIEVE.
Care to explain how the Pharoah would finally let the Hebrews slaves go as a result of these plagues?

Or how about how Moses knew this series of catastrophic events was coming to aid his campaign to force the Pharoah to let his people go?

It can hardly be called a coincidence or a happy happenstance.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
This is old news to me...
Sometimes, people will overlook a significant news break in the past as they do with alot of discoveries that confirm the people, the places, and the events in the Bible since we do still have people citing that the Bible is a fairy tale, and still do in spite of it.

Haters are gonna hate;

Mockers are gonna mock;

Deniers are gonna deny;

But seekers that seek the truth will find the truth and be set free as this is a promise from God.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Jastrow said the scientist is met by a band of theologians. There is a HUGE difference between a band of Bible believing Christians and a band of theologians. Huge.

Improvising, IMHO, is best left to jazz musicians
But seeking the truth in finding it, is best left by trusting God in His promise that seekers will find the truth in spite of misinformation and the lies that are in the world that has crept into the churches.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. 21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth....26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. 28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

1 Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: 21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:07 AM

37,512 posts, read 61,545,240 times
Quote:
Did you all even read the article? It claims that said disasters were the result of volcanic eruptions and climate changes, not a deity.

I guess that means little to folks who desperately WANT TO BELIEVE.
The point is that:

'Biblical Plagues Really Happened Says Scientists'

Old 02-07-2015, 12:49 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
Why am I so stupid? Why do I work 40 hours a week in a cubicle when I could make a fortune selling books that confirm what gullible people want to believe. There's a huge population of suckers out there with money to spend. Why spend time trying to refute nonsense when I could be cashing in on it??
Because you're a morally centered person.

The dudes who take advantage of the intellectually impoverished are not.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:16 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,999,699 times
Quote:
Why am I so stupid? Why do I work 40 hours a week in a cubicle when I could make a fortune selling books that confirm what gullible people want to believe. There's a huge population of suckers out there with money to spend. Why spend time trying to refute nonsense when I could be cashing in on it??
Maybe because it takes someone to do original research like Simcha Jacobovic? Just saying.
You should talk. There's a huge population of suckers out there who think evolution is actually true, if you can believe that. Even people who work in cubicles actually believe in the unproven evolutionary lie. But hey, it takes all kinds.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:50 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,999,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
Interesting, but one would think if that be really the case, the instructions to avoid death would be to keep all the children & adults from sleeping on the ground level instead of putting blood over the doorposts. There has to be some significance to these instructions since this event was carried over as a Jewish tradition called Passover. One would think never sleeping on the ground to avoid death would be the Jewish tradition carried over, but not so.

I doubt they had any warning that this event was about to happen other than from God; and so one has to wonder if there wasn't something supernatural to all of this other than a natural explanation.

Thanks for sharing though. I can see how God can use nature to fulfill His will, but I think He had more of a hand in it than just setting nature in motion to accomplish it.
I think the blood represents the blood of Jesus.
Interesting also is the fact that just one person of each household applied the blood and his faith saved his whole family from the angel of death. In Acts a person is told if they believe he will be saved and his household as well (Acts 16:31).

Also, in the future, John, in his prophetic book called Revelation, saw all the plagues to come upon the earth. One is caused by an asteroid. Another by sword, plague and death. Another in 6:12 has a great cataclysm in the heavens in which the sun and moon are darkened and meteorites bombard the earth (it will look like the stars are falling to the earth). In chapter 8 hail and fire mixed with blood falls to the earth. Then something like a huge mountain is cast into the sea and the sea becomes blood. Is this a nuclear device which kills so many fish that the ocean turns to blood?
Then in chapter 9 a well is opened and fumes come out darkening the sun and moon again. And the locusts come and destroy crops. And on and on it goes. But all these things will occur by divine decree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity