Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 06:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,059 times

Advertisements

Actually the way it was said did sound judgmental. I don't have a link at the moment to what exactly the pope said, but it had something to do with how people opt to have pets, and they really should be having kids instead. I know what the Catholic church teaches, so that is why I said it was not a surprise that the pope would be advocating for people to have kids, but the way it was worded sounded judgmental towards people who choose not to have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 07:02 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,745,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Pope Francis said that couples who opt not to have children are being "selfish" as he spoke of a "greedy generation" that's choosing not to procreate. The pontiff's remarks come just weeks after he seemed to send a contradictory message, telling Catholics that they don't need to breed "like rabbits."

Speaking at his general audience in St. Peter's Square on Wednesday, Francis talked on the joy of children and their importance in society, at one point reminiscing about his own mother.

Couples Who Choose Not To Have Children Are 'Selfish,' Pope Says : The Two-Way : NPR
Granted, he'd have a lot more room to talk if he weren't celibate and siring no children whatsoever. If couples who refuse to have children are selfish, then celibate priests are equally selfish.

Having said that, he's kinda right. Nobody wants to be called selfish of course. But if we're being honest, a great many couples who consciously decide to not have children do so for completely selfish reasons. The woman might not want to experience the damage childbearing does to the body. Both might wish to avoid all the dirty diapers, running noses, tantrums, teenage years and chaos that comes with being a parent. They are choosing to opt out mostly for selfish reasons, no matter how you spin it. As with anything, there are probably a few exceptions of course.

As a parent and having been there and done most of that, I can understand how daunting it must look from the outside looking in. I'm a much happier person because I have kids. But it certainly takes a lot of unselfishness to be a good parent.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
I've got to admit that's the first thing Francis has said that I haven't applauded, but I've heard my own church's leadership say much the same thing. Some people are not well-suited to be parents. If they recognize this, not having children is actually the right thing to do, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:07 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,386,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Some people are not well-suited to be parents. If they recognize this, not having children is actually the right thing to do, as far as I'm concerned.
It would be selfish to have children just for a tax deduction or credit.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:01 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It would be selfish to have children just for a tax deduction or credit.
I was thinking of having some kids so I can make them do labor around the house, and then when I get old they can take care of me. Is that selfish? haha!

Old 02-16-2015, 02:56 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,334,876 times
no, in fact that was one of the chief practical purposes for children for thousands of years in an "extended family" subsistence economies even in relatively advanced societies up to at least the 19th century---to help the family survive individually and collectively by helping out at home and in farm and field (later on in the factory), provide assistance to older members of that family when they were old and sick, and to continue the family bloodline---"so that (their) name might not die out in Israel"--Deut. 25:6. in many cases, having children (lots of them) was definitely not simply a "want to" luxury so that parents could be "emotionally fulfilled" or a macho trip for the man in some way but a practical necessity to make a functioning/surviving family and society---especially at a time when population was often low, most all labor and production was largely muscle-powered, and infant mortality was often extremely high, and the chances of invasion, civil strife, disease and natural disaster was an ever-present possibility for most everybody at every age everywhere.

if nothing else, children were the ultimate "safety net" for the individual and the nation.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 02-16-2015 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: more info.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:00 PM

78,523 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Pope Francis said that couples who opt not to have children are being "selfish" as he spoke of a "greedy generation" that's choosing not to procreate. The pontiff's remarks come just weeks after he seemed to send a contradictory message, telling Catholics that they don't need to breed "like rabbits."

Speaking at his general audience in St. Peter's Square on Wednesday, Francis talked on the joy of children and their importance in society, at one point reminiscing about his own mother.

Couples Who Choose Not To Have Children Are 'Selfish,' Pope Says : The Two-Way : NPR
Maybe the pope should let his priests marry.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Maybe the pope should let his priests marry.
actually, celibacy and the unmarried state in the "Latin Church" is a matter of discipline and not of doctrine for the church and it's priests so it can be changed. there are several churches in direct communion with and part of the Catholic Church where priests (but usually not bishops and all professed monks and nuns) may marry BEFORE ordination. married clergy from other Christian churches have been ordained as priests on a regular basis. the Eastern Orthodox Church has basically the same regulations for it's clergy as those "eastern" churches in communion with Rome---priests may marry before ordination but rarely if ever afterwards and bishops are single and celibate (being generally selected from the monastic clergy rather than ordinary parish priests).

that said, simply being married and having children does not necessarily give someone knowledge, sympathy, or judgment to raise or care for them well even for people who think they are ready, willing, and able to do so---simply look at the various child abuse, abandonment, and general mistreatment cases that may happen in traditional (and non-traditional as well) families intentionally or unintentionally.

if having to actually experienced this or that situation or condition was the only way to become an "expert" in various important things would anyone trust their lives to a physician who may not have had a heart attack, cancer, a psychosis or any other illness or condition that we have and need their treatment for?

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 02-16-2015 at 04:09 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 05:07 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,531,952 times
All couples are selfish, God would love us to be single.

Not everyone has the gift though.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
All couples are selfish, God would love us to be single.

Not everyone has the gift though.
FWIW, St. Paul in 1 Cor. 7 states his OPINION on the subject and seems to think that virginity (as a mark of dedication to God) is a pretty good thing to him: "....for I wish that all men were even as myself (unmarried)....but I say to the unmarried and to widows: it is good for them if they so continue, even as I...". the Church believes that there is need for BOTH the married life and the single life as equally valid vocations (a "gift" as you say in each case) for persons striving to live their Christian faith.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 02-16-2015 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity