Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
John,
Your whole dissertation is as beautiful as it is true. Keep nurturing the Spirit.
I find him to be a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction - no offense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I find him to be a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction - no offense.

I find him to be one of the truly lost. And sadly, they can infect others.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:41 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I find him to be one of the truly lost. And sadly, they can infect others.
He has unfortunately tied his genuine zeal for righteousness and decency to the ancient ignorance and superstitions of our ancestors as a sign of faith in God. It is a typical position taken by far too many Christians in the apostate anti-Christ churches of these "latter days" . . . a decided majority as prophesied.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:18 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,014 times
Quote:
Yes. I can.

"Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth."
So in other words, God does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth? I tend to hate evil. I know there are scriptures that say God hates evil. Are you saying we need to stop HATING evil because hating something corrupts us or consumes us? I've been thinking a lot about forgiveness lately and even thinking about posting some insights I've had lately on forgiveness. I do believe we should pity those who are bound by evil, just as God does. Sometimes it's hard when the evil is personal though. I was the recipient of some "unlove" from some so-called friends recently and it grieved me. And of course my flesh wants them to "be punished" but I know that is not my higher self.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:21 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
So in other words, God does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth? I tend to hate evil. I know there are scriptures that say God hates evil. Are you saying we need to stop HATING evil because hating something corrupts us or consumes us? I've been thinking a lot about forgiveness lately and even thinking about posting some insights I've had lately on forgiveness. I do believe we should pity those who are bound by evil, just as God does. Sometimes it's hard when the evil is personal though. I was the recipient of some "unlove" from some so-called friends recently and it grieved me. And of course my flesh wants them to "be punished" but I know that is not my higher self.

I believe it is a good sign when you are thinking a lot about forgiveness.
Our Savior left us the ultimate example when He prayed for those who were crucifying Him, "Father, forgive them, for the know not what they do."

Old 03-03-2015, 09:37 AM

339 posts, read 334,444 times
......and waiting....................

ZZzzz.............

Old 03-03-2015, 12:44 PM

335 posts, read 219,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
HEZAKIAL--

I am just wondering what makes you think you have the inside track on what is required to attain Salvation? Or to receive god's grace and thus enter the kingdom of heaven?

In other words: how are you any different than any of the other countless christians, or buddhists or muslims who believe they know god's will and are worthy of heaven?

How are you not just another mortal, flawed human. Like san pablo told us in Romans: we all have sinned and fallen short and missed the mark. (the definition of "sin.") So how are you special?

Jesus said it is arrogance to believe you know the mind of the Father. Arrogance is a sin. You claim you know the mind of god. Thus, you are a sinner. SO why should we listen to you at all?

Jesus also spoke of false prophets. And how if anyone claims to know the Way then he is actually more of a sinner than someone who admits arrogance.

You OP reminds me of something one of the pharisees would say. Or perhaps a member of the Sanhedrin. And we know what jc thought about them! LOL.

But if you can prove that you do have an inside track I will be glad to hear it.

I will be waiting. Patience is a virtue. Hubris is not.
Don't focus so much on the person. Focus on what is being said. If there is any truth to it, then it is from the Holy Spirit. Weigh what is said against the Bible and ask God to make Himself known to you.

On an internet forum, how can we truly know the person who is speaking? How can we determine if they truly live what they preach?

We can only judge if what they are speaking is truth or not.

The will of God is that we become loving and obedient from the heart.
That the Holy Spirit would conform us to Christ and free us from slavery to sin.
Not slavery to sin, but honest freedom from sin.

When the a person is born again, they become obedient to God's laws not out of fear, but out of love.
Breaking the commandments is the opposite of love.
Lying, stealing, disrespect, coveting, lust, fornication etc...

These commandments were made for those who do not have the Holy Spirit in them conforming them to Christ,
to keep them from committing evil deeds. Those who are born again and walk by the Spirit, will not break these commandments.

It is not possible to be completely free from all sin, as we are still in the flesh.
However we do not choose to do evil deeds with our bodies, and if an evil thought does arise.. We do not entertain it but submit it to the Holy Spirit.

When we are born again, it is a work of God that makes us a new creation with new desires.
We are no longer slaves to sin, living under the law. We become slaves to righteousness and produce the fruits of the Spirit, against which, there is no law.

Galatians 5
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

1 Corinthians 13
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

John 3
Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Last edited by john233; 03-03-2015 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 03:30 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Yes, Heartsong. It is the effect that those negative states of mind have on our Spirit that is of concern to God. It is our animal nature that seeks vengeance and retaliation . . . NOT God. Agape love pities those who are so confused or misguided by their animal nature that they do evil . . . perhaps even without remorse. Agape love does not take pleasure in the failures of others.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:55 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john233 View Post
I don't see it as difficult or obscure. Though it does fall short in some ways, but I see it like this:

If you really are God's friend, then stop sinning against Him. Sin and the flesh are wicked and leads you and the people in your life to destruction. Love God, love His ways and love people enough to become a mature Spiritual being. We are supposed to be like God, He gives us what we need to make that happen because He loves us. It's not all about us, there is alot of work to do in this short life. A lot of people who need guidance and need encouragement. The sinful mind is self centered and cannot please God. We have to reject our flesh and become holy like God is holy.

If you claim to follow Jesus, then actually follow Him. You first have to stop your sinning before you can move on to the greater things. The greater faith, the greater works which save people from perishing.

Don't run around and try to save people from perishing while you yourself are still perishing. That is what a hypocrite is. Just repent and actually turn from wickedness and He will draw near to you and guide your steps, He will prune you as a gardener prunes a tree to make it more fruitful.

The alternative is that you take advantage of Him and His mercy. That will not benefit you or anyone else.
Do what is good simply because it is good.

This is a very good post

Old 03-03-2015, 04:05 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
some interesting study questions...

Was Samson saved? How to we know? Was his deeds overall righteous or unrighteous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity