Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 03:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,616,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The God I believe in (I'm not comfortable saying *my* God) is spelled L O V E.
"love" I am ok with that. Love is not a verb tho, I like verbing, its a science thang. So "loving" is/maybe more complete I think also, we have loveing there for it would too.

anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Mark Twain said the difference between the right word and the almost right word.
Is "the difference between lightning; and a lightning bug."
amen to that.
Smart is knowing when we are the lighting bug.
and markie was a smartie foo shoo

Old 03-03-2015, 03:34 PM

63,942 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The point about punishment is not without merit, but believing that punishment without end and for no purpose but revenge is from God is manifestly self-contradictory, and that's only one way that perceptions ABOUT God are held to that standard that says God IS love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If you guys care to neglect part of who God is because you don't like what you see... that's your choice.
We do not neglect part of who God IS because God IS love. We reject the parts that come from our human nature and desire for vengeance or retribution or retaliation for wrongs. Agape love does not seek those things and call it justice . . . agape love pities those who are so confused and misguided that they do evil even without remorse. They are failing and agape love does NOT rejoice in anyone's failures.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:34 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,419,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
"love" I am ok with that. Love is not a verb tho, I like verbing, its a science thang. So "loving" is/maybe more complete I think also, we have loveing there for it would too.

anything else?
Nope. . You?

Old 03-03-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah... I got that. Like you said - very simple.
Why does it seem like you mean that as an insult?

Quote:
I got it just fine. Trust me.
No, friend, based on what you said you think I believe, you really haven't gotten it.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Nope. . You?
I don't know. I can't see it being just one thing. I don't know of anything more complex than us being one thing. We would see something vastly different around us I think. although If it is just love-ing then Buddha's stream of desires would fit. And god would not be all things for me. I am ok with "loving' in that it would fit more human conditions than just "love". And "love-ing" can look like hate. just ask my kid.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I don't know. I can't see it being just one thing. I don't know of anything more complex than us being one thing. We would see something vastly different around us I think. although If it is just love-ing then Buddha's stream of desires would fit. And god would not be all things for me. I am ok with "loving' in that it would fit more human conditions than just "love". And "love-ing" can look like hate. just ask my kid.
I don't know either, but as far as I'm concerned love us a good place to start.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:02 PM

124 posts, read 118,807 times
A lot of replies, a lot of good advice here, accept for some like go see a doctor for anti depressants. Those do not work, and that only solves the symptoms, not the causes of my disbelief.

I know we are supposed to believe, trust, and love God. But why? Why do we need to become humble, beatin down, and weary just to have God help us? If anything I can see a good perfect loving God wanting us to stand tall in life, walk tall, smile and know how awesome we are. But if life is trials, pain, confusion, uncertainty, broken promises, why do we trust?

Old 08-19-2015, 06:34 PM

63,942 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We do not neglect part of who God IS because God IS love. We reject the parts that come from our human nature and desire for vengeance or retribution or retaliation for wrongs. Agape love does not seek those things and call it justice . . . agape love pities those who are so confused and misguided that they do evil even without remorse. They are failing and agape love does NOT rejoice in anyone's failures.
Quote:
Again - love is never the standard. God is the standard... who is all love... and all holy... and immortal... and sovereign. If you or I can't comprehend Him (not "love"), that's not His problem - that's our problem.
But I understand where you are. Love is what makes sense... and good deeds. Because if we are good in our own eyes - God has to accept us, right?
You contradict yourself, just as the Bible does, yet you seem oblivious to it. Love IS the standard because God IS the standard and God IS love. You, like Clinton, seem not to understand the meaning of the word "IS." You definitely do NOT understand Pleroo or anyone else who is not indoctrinated with the "precepts and doctrines of men" into the words "written in ink" while ignoring the principle that actually underlies the words . . . agape love.
Quote:
The bible you believe says God IS love. Therefore, anything else that God is will not contradict the bible's own definition of love, at the very least. It is that simple to me.
No, you don't understand. I have never expressed such a belief because it is not my understanding. It isn't about God accepting or not accepting anyone. As I see it, it is about keeping one's focus on the God who is love.
You are correct, Pleroo . . . but you are dealing with unreasoning credulity in a static book of words . . . not someone who is in touch with the Living Word of God and Spirit.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:09 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,410,443 times
Quote:
The bible you believe says God IS love. Therefore, anything else that God is will not contradict the bible's own definition of love, at the very least. It is that simple to me.
It's not complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity