Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 12:59 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times

Advertisements

I see it in this and other forums time and time again. Secular humanists, atheists what-have-you people come in over and over again posting their arguments against "religion" specifically in the field of homosexuality and abortion to stir things up and get tempers flaring. They are like a drunken person with a 10-second memory that asks over and over again "Why am I being arrested"? "Because you are drunk and disorderly"! "I 'm not drunk and disorderly blah, blah, blah...". Then, ten seconds later "Why am I being arrested"? Does anyone that posts against religion/Christianity really think they are going to change anyone's mind in this forum or out? Do you really think that you are going to wear anyone down? Are you that naïve? If anything, you are solidifying Christian/religious convictions by your relentless persecution. Some of you are probably bored no doubt and think this is a fun thing to do. Some of you just like to go in and pick a fight and lambast others so you can feel good about yourselves. Some of you do believe in God/Jesus, you just hate him. And I am sure some are trying to create rifts and fights between various groups so you can divide and conquer or just get things going so you can sit back, watch the battle and feel proud of yourself. Really. Are you serious? Do you really want everyone to be the same? Do you really think that YOU'RE belief system is that perfect that it gives you a right to attack everyone else's? I just have to laugh and shake my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 01:09 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,333,755 times
some of their posts may actually be a form of "reverse evangelization" in which they attempt to convert Christians to their version of the "truth"---there is no "god" of any sort and/or the Christian God is capricious, evil, or (as in the case of the nun being raped thread) unwilling and unable to help His worshippers (and therefore unworthy of worship or respect). some atheists might even consider this a helpful and merciful thing on their part to heal Christians of their foolish obsession with what they consider the non-existent spiritual worries and concerns. assume they might accuse believers of sometimes infiltrating some of their discussions as well and this may be a form of "payback", LOL.

and yes, some of them IMHO are true "trolls" at heart wanting to really stir those silly "theists"/conventional religious types up by tossing a conversational bomb into various threads just to yank folk's chains.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-20-2015 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: more info.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:33 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
So why do the Christians respond? Why do they not let others know that a post is merely trolling and that it should not get a response within the thread that is being trolled?

Old 03-20-2015, 01:56 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So why do the Christians respond? Why do they not let others know that a post is merely trolling and that it should not get a response within the thread that is being trolled?
A common ploy is to deflect responsibility away from the attackers, by blaming those being attacked. Suddenly, "Why do anti-Christians do what they do?" becomes, "Why do Christians respond?" IMO, it's in the fleshly, non-Holy-Spirit-guided 'nature' of the world to attack the things of God. Scripture repeatedly speaks to their nature, which has apparently not changed much in 2000-years, for example:

1 Cor. 2:14-15 14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

2 Cor 3:14-16 - But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. 15 Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. 16 But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.

A big part of carnal, worldly thinking, is that it only understands 'religion', not a true, living relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Thus, it only sees Christianity as "just another man-made religion." Surprisingly, even a number of true, God-seeking Christians, have not yet, made the relationship transformation ... and sometimes remain 'baby Christians' for years.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
I mostly do it to correct and rebuke.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:03 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,333,755 times
IMHO, some are easily taken in and assume that the "troll" is serious and wants to at least engage in some kind of meaningful dialogue that leads at least to some kind of mutual understanding and respect (if not acceptance) of either side's basic philosophical, intellectual, and theological concepts.

others really want to "convert" the other side (rarely happens), some really and truly enjoy a frank and "robust" exchange of ideas (and occasional insults and accusations) in their internet equivalent of a (relatively) "friendly" free for all, AND some folks on BOTH sides seem to get a really perverse delight in flat out "flame wars" and just plain fighting with basically total strangers from the safety of their comfortable computer room!!!

in any case, the resulting threads no matter how long may or may not be really edifying for either many of the posters or readers and often give off more heat than light to a sincere and charitable person of either a belief or an unbelief system seeking "truth".

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-20-2015 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: more info.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:58 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
While it's true that if one doesn't feed the troll, they will eventually go away....it's soooooo incredibly difficult to starve said troll in practice.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I mostly do it to correct and rebuke.

lmao

I thought I was the only know-it-all

Old 03-20-2015, 04:52 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao

I thought I was the only know-it-all
Everybody likes a little....nobody likes a smart.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
amen to that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity