Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 03:11 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
what political cause is express or implied in the gospels or acts or anywhere else (again..."render unto Caesar..." and "My kingdom is NOT of this world" or "what does it profit a man to gain the whole world but loose..." (Jesus) or for that matter "the powers that be are ordained by God" (Paul)?

it just as easy to find justification or "proof" that any "revolution" advocated by Jesus would be an internal and spiritual one starting from each individuals transformation in Christ to a life of love and service which becomes the individual small bit of "leaven" that ultimately makes the whole "dough" of society "rise" and become a closer (but never perfect) approximation of the "kingdom of God and His righteousness".

the revolution is from the bottom up and involves not a slogan or a program of "free Isreal" or even "workers of the world unite" but instead "love one another as I have loved you"----considering the imperfect/fallen human nature we all seem to share perhaps the most revolutionary agenda of all wouldn't you say?

most all of us eventually build a world view/a belief system/an ethical guideline for dealing with others and the universe in general on something---science, philosophy, enlightened self-interest, the universal law of karma--sometimes even a religious doctrine based on "infallible" sayings or writings which contain the "truth" which the "believer" conforms themselves to so at some point we generally all have to make a decision which path is the right one and how that path should be followed and where is the roadmap for that path to be found.

of course, if you wish to regard all or part of the various early Christian writings as "religious fiction" you are free to do so just as I am free to declare myself "emperor of the united states and protector of mexico" (somebody once long ago did just that, BTW) and with probably almost as much justification, LOL---luckily we are free to think and say and do as we please on a whole lot of subjects. that said, what if anything is NOT fiction in the new testament (or any other part of the bible) in your opinion---how do we know which is "true" and which "not true" and in so far as we live our lives why should we (you, I, anybody) care in the first place?
When Jesus talked about a "kingdom" he was saying that it started inside of us. Most Christians even today are looking for a super-Jesus of great miraculous physical strength and magical powers.

But Jesus' real message seemed to be that the true kingdom is found within. And when more and more people become aware of that, this will ensure that mankind will live in peace, love, and harmony.

From this point of view, the message of Jesus was not that different from other "enlightened" spiritual leaders. But is there any reason it shouldn't be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 03:29 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
When Jesus talked about a "kingdom" he was saying that it started inside of us. Most Christians even today are looking for a super-Jesus of great miraculous physical strength and magical powers.

But Jesus' real message seemed to be that the true kingdom is found within. And when more and more people become aware of that, this will ensure that mankind will live in peace, love, and harmony.

From this point of view, the message of Jesus was not that different from other "enlightened" spiritual leaders. But is there any reason it shouldn't be?
You are completely missing the most important aspect. "You must be born again". Then the Holy spirit comes and dwells within. This is not something that is possible to do but is a "gift of God". It's the indwelling Spirit of God that leads us to desire righteousness in our lives. Christianity is not some theoretical theory in any sense. It's a supernatural action performed by God on His chosen people.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:30 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
abiding within does not mean from within.
there is a major difference.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:33 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:

Not really, no. All the great spiritual masters brought the same essential message to the world, and each spoke in a way that made sense to his culture.

"The kingdom of God is within you" -- seems fairly straightforward to me, although true believers will strain to find meaning within it that suits their beliefs.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:45 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,333,122 times
OzzyRules, think we are essentially in agreement since that's what I thought I said in paragraphs 2 and 3 of my post you quoted---how cool is that, LOL.

that said, FWIW, rightly or wrongly, Christians believe that Jesus was more than just a wise or even an inspired teacher---He is really and truly the Son of God and so whatever He said is not accepted simply because it makes sense to you or me on it's own or seems to agree with other teachers or gurus good advice but because He is uniquely in and of God and teaches with His authority---"who hears you hears ME and the One who sent Me." IOW, it kind of boils down (to traditional Christians at least---for others not so much) something like

"I AM the way, the truth, and the light---no one comes to the Father EXCEPT thru Me"

----a hard saying indeed and one any believer has to really wrestle with because then we have to do something to put that belief into action in some way every day and the "law of love Jesus preached--loving God and loving others as we love ourselves has all sorts of potentially difficult implications that may cause our needs and concerns to take a seriously second place to somebody else's---but hopefully dazzling possibilities as well to become all we both CAN and SHOULD be (with God's help).

God bless you and help you (and me and everybody) to do what is truly right

Old 03-04-2015, 04:07 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:

no, his message is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity