Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
What would be the harm is someone did think the place had some spiritual value?
What spiritual value. It would be a house and that is it. Maybe later a prostitute lived there, would it still be of spiritual value, or a Pharisee who hated Christ, etc. It is a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 05:58 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What spiritual value. It would be a house and that is it. Maybe later a prostitute lived there, would it still be of spiritual value, or a Pharisee who hated Christ, etc. It is a house.
I believe certain places can have "spiritual value" or some kind of energy. People travel to certain areas to experience this.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:59 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It tends to give power to the people who control the relic.
That is true.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
I believe certain places can have "spiritual value" or some kind of energy. People travel to certain areas to experience this.
Only in their mind, and real faith does not need such.

KJV 2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith not by sight.

That idea was like many brought in from pagan beliefs and practices to make them feel comfortable.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:14 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:

I think any first century dwelling is an awesome find. It would not be without pottery and evidence of fire.

I hear you about spiritual energy. I feel it around certain times. Christmas comes to mind. The energy of peace on earth is a beautiful thing.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I am always interested in any indications that Nazareth existed as a town in the first century. Where there was one house, there are now two. But a house dug into a hillside doesn't sound very townlike, The tradition that it is where Jesus lived is a neat coincidence when the structure turn out to be of the right date, but I wouldn't be surprised that there all sorts of structures that are claimed as Jesus' house'.

I don't reject the idea as I am pretty sure that Jesus really existed and he for sure lived somewhere. It was just that there are doubts about Nazareth. with one farmhouse and hillside dug -out, I wonder whether it is any more probable than before?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
re:" I wonder whether it is any more probable before"

You know if we read the headlines one could get the impression that theyfound the actual home. And that is a big stretch. But as far as probability in my opinion it's logical to assume that what they found was a place where Jesus most probably lived a bit of his daily life.

As far as what was found in the Nazareth digs it suggested that the town was deemed wealthier and larger than often portrayed. But that seems to be at odds with what Nazareth was back in the 1st really a small village with a peasant Jewish cast and light years away from the way it looks now.

Archaeology in Nazareth has to be challenging because of all its 'layers' of life through the centuries and making sense of all that can't be easy.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:51 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
Saint Adomnan said the site was venerated as Jesus's House in the year
670, and that there was a Byzantine church built over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity