Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 03:05 AM

67 posts, read 92,742 times

Advertisements

Today about noon, two ladies from some denomination or another (it doesn't matter which one) drove up the hill to the house where my Mother and I live, and proceeded to ring the doorbell.

I was in the middle of getting Mother her meal. The curtains were wide open on the large picture window that looks out to the front of the house, and we watched them walk up to the door. I went back in the kitchen to continue monitoring what I was cooking, and Mother continued with her lunch. We ignored the doorbell. After a few minutes, we watched them walk back to their car.

There is a very neat and nice little sign right on the front door, that states: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." That sign could not fail to be seen by these ladies.

Why did they come unannounced, and when they got here and saw that sign, why did they ring the doorbell ANYWAY?

We are Christian here. We don't need someone to come preaching the Lord to us. And if we wanted to change denominations, we'd look into that and do so. In short, their entire way of thinking is really out of whack -- they can't have come to help us meet the Lord, the sign told them we already know Him. So they must have come to try to invite (persuade, proselytize) us to their denomination.

I really personally resent this. In my opinion, if churches want to pursue missionary work, they should pursue it where it is actually needed. Please don't come to MY house simply because your church or you don't have the courage to go to some foreign nation where the Word of God may not have been widely spread. Please don't come to MY house, when you could be ministering to the poor and the sick in the more difficult areas of town or in the local hospital.

In my opinion, if one wants to Walk as He Walked, go to places where you will actually get your shoes dirty. I'm sure I don't sound very charitable ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 03:30 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,415,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailin View Post
Today about noon, two ladies from some denomination or another (it doesn't matter which one) drove up the hill to the house where my Mother and I live, and proceeded to ring the doorbell.

I was in the middle of getting Mother her meal. The curtains were wide open on the large picture window that looks out to the front of the house, and we watched them walk up to the door. I went back in the kitchen to continue monitoring what I was cooking, and Mother continued with her lunch. We ignored the doorbell. After a few minutes, we watched them walk back to their car.

There is a very neat and nice little sign right on the front door, that states: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." That sign could not fail to be seen by these ladies.

Why did they come unannounced, and when they got here and saw that sign, why did they ring the doorbell ANYWAY?

We are Christian here. We don't need someone to come preaching the Lord to us. And if we wanted to change denominations, we'd look into that and do so. In short, their entire way of thinking is really out of whack -- they can't have come to help us meet the Lord, the sign told them we already know Him. So they must have come to try to invite (persuade, proselytize) us to their denomination.

I really personally resent this. In my opinion, if churches want to pursue missionary work, they should pursue it where it is actually needed. Please don't come to MY house simply because your church or you don't have the courage to go to some foreign nation where the Word of God may not have been widely spread. Please don't come to MY house, when you could be ministering to the poor and the sick in the more difficult areas of town or in the local hospital.

In my opinion, if one wants to Walk as He Walked, go to places where you will actually get your shoes dirty. I'm sure I don't sound very charitable ....

That's why any house should have a fence around its entirety perimeter preventing anyone from coming to your door directly, and with a large sign (or, even better, multiple signs around different points of the fence around the perimeter of the house) saying words to the effect of the following:

NO UNINVITED VISITORS OF ANY TYPE FOR ANY REASON.

If you were not previously invited to visit this house, do not ring or knock. No exceptions.

or however else you choose to customize the message to your needs.The police or fire department or your utility company, for instance, all implicitly know that they are an exception. And your friends, relatives, et al that you have ongoing relations with already know they they are (or likely are) an exception . . . although you should still tell them to not just drop over as a habit but instead call first on teh phone or contact via text message to ask permission to come over and not just drop by unannounced.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:55 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
"screw the dog"
beware of owner.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,852 times
Wonder if the Jews of Jesus day thought the same thing when He was preaching in their synagogue?

Just as in the days of Noah so shall it be at the coming of the son of man.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:07 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Just like those I meet on the bus or in the streets that want to preach to me about the resurrection and the great new life that awaits me if I am born again.

Annoying folks who have no personal or religious boundaries..

I thought of wrapping myself in barbed wire then realised razor wire is probably more effective.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:09 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
That's why any house should have a fence around its entirety perimeter preventing anyone from coming to your door directly, and with a large sign (or, even better, multiple signs around different points of the fence around the perimeter of the house) saying words to the effect of the following:

NO UNINVITED VISITORS OF ANY TYPE FOR ANY REASON.

If you were not previously invited to visit this house, do not ring or knock. No exceptions.

or however else you choose to customize the message to your needs.The police or fire department or your utility company, for instance, all implicitly know that they are an exception. And your friends, relatives, et al that you have ongoing relations with already know they they are (or likely are) an exception . . . although you should still tell them to not just drop over as a habit but instead call first on teh phone or contact via text message to ask permission to come over and not just drop by unannounced.

KNOCK..KNOCK..

It's Jesus...

Guess no one is home..

Walks away shaking the dust from His air jordans...

Old 03-12-2015, 09:16 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
OP, you sound like you believe all denominations accept all others and their interpretations of doctrine.

That simply is not true. The denominations are different not just in name, but some in doctrine. Some of those differences are major too (such as salvation through faith versus salvation through works).

So yes, Christians will preach to other Christians, particularly if they think the others are not really "saved Christians" due to the alleged mis-teachings of their denominations.

For example, I doubt many Baptist evangelists are overly accepting that the millions of Catholics in this country, with Christian/Catholic symbolism about their homes, are at all saved.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:21 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,561,614 times
The people who rang your doorbell had no interest in sharing about the Lord; they wanted to share about Jehovah.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:53 AM

67 posts, read 92,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
OP, you sound like you believe all denominations accept all others and their interpretations of doctrine.

That simply is not true. The denominations are different not just in name, but some in doctrine. Some of those differences are major too (such as salvation through faith versus salvation through works).

So yes, Christians will preach to other Christians, particularly if they think the others are not really "saved Christians" due to the alleged mis-teachings of their denominations.

For example, I doubt many Baptist evangelists are overly accepting that the millions of Catholics in this country, with Christian/Catholic symbolism about their homes, are at all saved.

Oh, I well realize denominations differ in doctrine and that some differences are major. But these folks who show up (about every 2 months or so) don't know what denomination we are -- for all they know, we could be "their" denomination. In my view, if they were being led by God in their work, they would not be so presumptuous as to assume we required their ministering, especially when there is a sign on the door.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:42 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailin View Post
Oh, I well realize denominations differ in doctrine and that some differences are major. But these folks who show up (about every 2 months or so) don't know what denomination we are -- for all they know, we could be "their" denomination. In my view, if they were being led by God in their work, they would not be so presumptuous as to assume we required their ministering, especially when there is a sign on the door.
Agreed. They should respect the sign on the door and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity