Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:38 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Tell that to all the former born again Sola Scriptura folks that have found atheism. There is one on this forum that posts regularly.
None of that has anything to do with receiving Jesus. If someone regrets that, I'd like to hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:51 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Depends on what he means by receiving Christ. If that includes accepting the things that some versions of Christianity say you must believe about the bible, God, Jesus, faith, atonement, eternal hell, etc., I would have to disagree with Mr. Graham as I regret having "received" much of that into my mind and heart.

But as I now understand the Christ, no, I can't see how I could regret that.
I agree with you. It depends on whether one has met the Living Risen Christ or has believed and gone about passing on a lot of misinformation about Christ. Big difference.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I saw this quote from Billy Graham, on Facebook. "I've never met someone who received Christ, who regretted it."

Thoughts (about the quote)?
I think he probably met people who converted to a non-Christian religion or became non-believers...... but chose not to tell him. Faith is a very personal thing. There is no requirement to make a public proclamation about such things to Rev. Graham.... or anyone else.

Do you know the religious beliefs of everyone you meet? I don't. Billy Graham is an evangelist .... not Father Confessor.

"Billy.... remember the Boston crusade in 1967? There's something I want to tell you...."

Old 03-27-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think he probably met people who converted to a non-Christian religion or became non-believers...... but chose not to tell him. Faith is a very personal thing. There is no requirement to make a public proclamation about such things to Rev. Graham.... or anyone else.

Do you know the religious beliefs of everyone you meet? I don't. Billy Graham is an evangelist .... not Father Confessor.

"Billy.... remember the Boston crusade in 1967? There's something I want to tell you...."
The question is, did they regret receiving Christ?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
The question is, did they regret receiving Christ?
I've no idea. I'm not Mother Confessor and I've not met all the people Rev. Graham has met. (Which probably numbers in the tens of thousands in hand shaking alone. "Nice to meet you Rev. Graham".) Do all the people you meet tell you about their religious journey?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,226 times
Quote:

Made me laugh!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
I don't regret placing Christ in among those Humans Who I Consider Great (and quite possibly more-than-human) like Da Vinci, Shakespeare, Newton, Einstein, Florence Nightingale....

But I don't consider him any more a god than the aforementioned, or you, or me, or the lady across the street.

Or anybody who aspires to be better than they were yesterday.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I've no idea. I'm not Mother Confessor and I've not met all the people Rev. Graham has met. (Which probably numbers in the tens of thousands in hand shaking alone. "Nice to meet you Rev. Graham".) Do all the people you meet tell you about their religious journey?
I'm asking your opinion. Do you think someone could regret receiving Christ?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I'm asking your opinion. Do you think someone could regret receiving Christ?
Oh, sorry jimmie I misunderstood. I've never thought about it. That's a pretty deep question. I'll have to chew on that one a while.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:53 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Billy Graham's statement makes absolutely no sense. First, anyone who believes in that is obviously going to think it is meaningful. Who wouldn't?

Secondly, if someone were to understand it in a more spiritual and less fundamentalist way, why would the spiritual person feel it any less than the fundamentalist?

Thirdly, we don't know if Billy Graham was making that up, or, exaggerating, I really don't mean to be disrespectful but everyone exaggerates. But even if he wasn't, he is a special type of person. A celebrity. Most people who talk to him are not going to speak as freely as they would with a "normal" everyday person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity