Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 PM

757 posts, read 1,025,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But shouldn't we do what Jesus said, if we truly value him. he said to commemorate his death, not resurrection. It is a positive message to expose a negative celebration.
You need to study more and understand not just the words but the meaning behind them, and try not to get too hung-up on dates and other worldly stuffs. You can argue all you want with quoted scriptures but you will never get it. Why not refresh your attitude on this Good Friday? It will do you much good spiritually.

Last edited by R. Crusoe; 04-02-2015 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your posts have not shown the slightest understanding of Jesus and the Spirit of agape love He unambiguously taught and demonstrated. Your posts do not reflect any understanding of what "love God and each other" means. you are too focused on rituals and THINGS that have no importance. What is in our hearts and minds is what is important to God . . . not what you think things mean from some ancient texts.
Excellent point! Very well said.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
“Why did Jesus die on a cross?”

Jesus died on a cross to show us what love looks like in action.
I'm touched. It's a poetic and soul warming way to look at His ultimate sacrifice for us.

Last edited by R. Crusoe; 04-02-2015 at 11:28 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
Preparation Day(Good Friday)
Exodus 12 King James Version (KJV)
12 And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt saying,
2 This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you.
5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:
6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.
7 And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it.
8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.
9 Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.
10 And ye shall let nothing of it remain until the morning; and that which remaineth of it until the morning ye shall burn with fire.
11 And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the Lord's passover.
12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the Lord.
13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.
14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the Lord throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.
15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.
16 And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you.
17 And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever.
When I look back to exodus it is a wonder to know that it was Jesus speaking to Moses and Aaron.
John 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Matthew 26 King James Version (KJV)
17 Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?
18 And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.
19 And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover.
20 Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.
21 And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
22 And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?
23 And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me.
24 The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.
25 Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said.
26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.
30 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I do not always have the words, so forgive me for borrowing...

I don’t think I have the words to explain it properly, but you know when you accept Jesus and you’re saved, and you are told you don’t have to sin anymore because you have the power of Jesus in you? And then you go and screw up again, so it’s like you spit on the cross and the sacrifice Jesus made in atoning for your sins.
But then you try not to sin and pray not to sin, but do it anyway and come to believe that you just aren't actually saved. And you basically suck because you keep screwing up, and you pray for help and it doesn't come.
Accepting Jesus doesn't give you a pass to sin. Salvation doesn't work that way.

Accepting Jesus is a personal affirmation that you don't want to be sinner and sin anymore. Human is fallible and evil forces are surrounding us. It is inevitable some of us will fall back and get pulled down just like some sheep will inevitably wander off from the herd.

However, it doesn't mean that that particular sheep is no longer valued. In fact, it is the one that is valued the most exactly because it is lost to the shepherd. It will be the dearest one to God. Don't get despair because you are not strong enough. Don't pray to God for just help if you are spiritually weak. Pray to God for strength and guidance so that you don't fall for the traps set by Satan ever again.

"Go on and sin no more."

Have a great Easter, my friend.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
When I look back to exodus it is a wonder to know that it was Jesus speaking to Moses and Aaron.
It is amazing. Isn't it? He is always there from the beginning of time. He is the Son of God coming down from heaven to us as a sacrificial lamb to wash away our sin with His blood so that we can be clean and innocent once again standing tall in front of our Father in heaven.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
I always make it a tradition to have a large steak dinner on good Friday with all my friends. It's turned into a really fun night of us all getting together.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:22 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Accepting Jesus doesn't give you a pass to sin. Salvation doesn't work that way.

Accepting Jesus is a personal affirmation that you don't want to be sinner and sin anymore. Human is fallible and evil forces are surrounding us. It is inevitable some of us will fall back and get pulled down just like some sheep will inevitably wander off from the herd.

However, it doesn't mean that that particular sheep is no longer valued. In fact, it is the one that is valued the most exactly because it is lost to the shepherd. It will be the dearest one to God. Don't get despair because you are not strong enough. Don't pray to God for just help if you are spiritually weak. Pray to God for strength and guidance so that you don't fall for the traps set by Satan ever again.

"Go on and sin no more."

Have a great Easter, my friend.
But isn't this the point? One simply does not SIN NO MORE do they? Then we are right back at step one--FORGIVE ME JESUS FOR I HAVE SINNED--Yet again..

Old 04-05-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I always make it a tradition to have a large steak dinner on good Friday with all my friends. It's turned into a really fun night of us all getting together.
That's the idea. It doesn't has to be fish & chip on Good Friday. Faithful Christians can do all that and still have the deepest love for Jesus Christ and our Father in heaven. Human ritual and traditions are not always relevant. What is in one's heart is far more significant than what one eats on Good Friday. That's not how our loving Father judges us.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
But isn't this the point? One simply does not SIN NO MORE do they? Then we are right back at step one--FORGIVE ME JESUS FOR I HAVE SINNED--Yet again..
But that doesn't happen to absolutely ALL of us. Many Christians have strong spiritual backbone and are able to maintain it once they've accepted Jesus Christ in their lives. Unfortunately some weaker ones do get fallen behind and have relapses. But their previous efforts have not all gone wasted.

It may be the case of one step forward two steps back, but the progress is definitely there, though painfully slow. They need additional encouragement from their fellow Christians. Above all, they need to pray for extra strength and guidance from God. Abusing Jesus's generosity in forgiveness and use it as an excuse to sin again and again is a sign of weakness in one's character, not just a spiritual flaw. Those who act that way have something else to work on in addition to gaining spiritual strength.

Have faith and be optimistic that most of us will make it. We have a good shepherd to guide us Christians. We are not just bunch of lost sheep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity