Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 01:00 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
so in other words, you speaking out against those who quote God ( Matthew 11:24-25; Romans 1:18-32; 2 Peter 2:4-10; Jude 1:7) that it's not speaking about your faith, it is speaking out against what you do not approve of, ... that pcamps takes no faith.
What does take faith, however, is accepting people who are radically different from oneself. Something no fundamentalist can do.

But guess what, those nasty, ugly, gay-agenda homosexuals can do that--about YOU!!!

Quote:
Lesbian business owner, Courtney Hoffman, sympathized with the owners of Memories Pizza over the way the LGBT community attacked them. The O’Connors were targeted even though they explained that they would be happy to serve homosexual customers at their restaurant. Hoffman said the attacks were completely unwarranted.

“As a member of the gay community, I would like to apologize for the mean-spirited attacks on you and your business,” Hoffman expressed to the O’Connors in a message accompanying her $20 donation. “I know many gay individuals who fully support your right to stand up for your beliefs and run your business according to those beliefs.”

With unprecedented support, Memories Pizza reopened its doors last week to a full house with customers lined up to purchase pizza — without a protester in sight.

Hoffman noted her disgust for the way militant homosexual activists terrorized the Indiana Christian business owners for holding on to their sincerely held religious beliefs while running their establishment.
“We are outraged at the level of hate and intolerance that has been directed at you and I sincerely hope that you are able to rebuild,” Hoffman communicated to the O’Connor family on behalf of likeminded homosexuals supportive of their stance in the wake of the Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
Happy to see Memories Pizza of Walkertown, Indiana, reopen Wednesday, Hoffman went public with her expression of support for the O’Connors, especially being a business owner herself. She owns a kettle corn company with her lesbian partner.

“We know so many gay individuals that fully support the freedom of living your life according to your beliefs and feel that freedom extends to everyone, even the people that we don’t agree with,” Hoffman said with the backing of her lesbian partner on CBS San Francisco’s The Jeff Adams Show.

A lesson of real tolerance

Hoffman said the LGBT activists should be practicing the very tolerance that they demand from others — teaching them a lesson of tolerance of her own.

“If we can remember that differences don’t equal maliciousness, and try to find what we have in common — you know, the and instead of the ors, maybe we can move beyond threats of violence and have open discussions of the things that we don’t agree on,” ventured Hoffman, who has received accolades from the conservative talk show’s viewers and online audience.

Even though many LGBT advocates don’t see eye-to-eye with Hoffman’s response to the O’Connors, an increasing number from the homosexual community have contributed money to reopen Memories Pizza since she donated her $20.
Why a lesbian donated to keep pro-family pizzeria open

And guess what, the kind of Christianity I practice affords me the freedom to quote people who disagree with my view.

Your christianity is too limited to allow for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:06 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,984 times
Quote:
but ... according to pcamps, your attacks takes no faith and to attempt to change those who you disagree with is bigotry.
God does not allow my silence on this matter. I own every one of my words ,and my actions.
I do not need, or require your approval for any of it.

Your attempt to drive a wedge between those of us supporting LGBTQ rights is rather silly. Our goals are the same.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
so in other words, you speaking out against those who quote God ( Matthew 11:24-25; Romans 1:18-32; 2 Peter 2:4-10; Jude 1:7) that it's not speaking about your faith, it is speaking out against what you do not approve of, ... that pcamps takes no faith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They are being attacked for speaking about their faith. The LGBT community attacks them, and it is indeed shameful.

You guys will make the scriptures say whatever you want it say when it comes to condemning that which you do not approve of. I will repeat, scriptures do not speak of faith as going after sinners and condemning them, especially those whom you seemingly have singled out to be worse sinners than others.

The faith i am talking about twin, is scriptural faith which expresses itself through love not condemnation of those and that you do not approve of.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:10 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Ok twin, i will play along, where is the scripture that states "by faith i called out sinners for their sin?"
in other words you put your foot into it, discovered that the shoe fits and now suddenly your going to change where sinners were called out for their sin when shown .... right

talk about a bigot's hypocritical trap question

Old 04-17-2015, 01:11 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
in other words you put your foot into it, discovered that the shoe fits and now suddenly your going to change where sinners were called out for their sin when shown .... right

talk about a bigot's hypocritical trap question
Hey ?.

Where are the scriptures to support that by faith you call sinners out for their sin?. You have no idea whether i approve of homosexuality or not, i will never give a fundamentalist that satisfaction, the LGBT folk have my complete support while they are being singled out by christian bigots, not by faith, just because i know it is right to do so.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:12 PM

Default A different LEGAL take on the pizza owners words

SAY IT, DON'T DO IT

Quote:
In answer to a hypothetical question raised during the Religious Freedom Restoration Act debacle in Indiana, Crystal O’Connor of Memories Pizza stated that she wouldn’t deliver pizzas to a gay wedding. Partisans reacted in dismally predictable ways. The O’Connors were subjected to nasty comments—apparently including death threats—from one side; on the other, a crowd-funding effort raised more than $800,000 for the O’Connors, who’d been intimidated into temporarily closing up shop.

But what if she’d instead said something like this: “We welcome all customers, including members of the LGBT community. But we do have a strong religious objection to same-sex marriages, and we’d hope that anyone thinking of using our shop to cater their wedding would take that into consideration in making their decision.”

See the difference? In the actual case, O’Connor announced that she’d discriminate. That’s illegal in states that offer LGBT protection in places of public accommodation, and should be barred in the Hoosier State, too (although, outside of a few cities, this kind of discrimination is still permitted despite the recent “fix” to the law). But the second, entirely made-up statement is simply a proclamation of belief, however offensive to however many people. It’s therefore protected under a guarantee of the First Amendment—freedom of speech—that’s just as central as the protection for freedom of religion.

his distinction between belief and action snapped into sharp focus in the mid-aughts in Philly. Joey Vento, the owner of Geno’s Steaks, didn’t like illegal immigrants—and especially didn’t like that the area around his South Philadelphia establishment had recently become populated by Spanish speakers. So in 2006, he slapped a sign on the window where orders are placed: “THIS IS AMERICA. WHEN ORDERING, PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH.”

Just as in the Memories Pizza case, outrage and counter-outrage ensued. By some accounts, business actually picked up at Geno’s as a result of the publicity caused by Vento’s venting. (Vento himself said that his business was booming before he posted the sign—Philadelphians do love their cheesesteaks.) And those who were offended simply walked across the street to Geno’s biggest competitor, Pat’s King of Steaks, or perhaps underwent an overdue angioplasty.

Vento was hauled before the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, and charged with discrimination against non-English speakers. He won, because there was no proof that Geno’s actually refused service to anyone who didn’t speak English. (According to Mary Catherine Roper of the ACLU, many “testers” had been sent to the joint to see whether they’d be refused service; they weren’t.) In effect, the Commission vindicated Vento’s argument that he was making a protected political statement, however crude and nasty.

So, announcing distaste for certain clientele is protected, but actually denying those same customers service isn’t. To stay in the clear, business owners can follow a simple rule: “say it, don’t do it.” An owner of a B&B isn’t comfortable with same-sex couples honeymooning at his establishment? Post something like this on the website: “The Fusty Inn Specializes in Traditional Weddings!” Most same-sex couples will avoid the place like the plague—though they needn’t do so—and so will many liberal opposite-sex ones. Others will be attracted like iron filings to Magneto.

Read more: Business Owners Must Serve Gays - John Culhane - POLITICO Magazine

Old 04-17-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
God does not allow my silence on this matter. I own every one of my words ,and my actions.
I do not need, or require your approval for any of it.

Your attempt to drive a wedge between those of us supporting LGBTQ rights is rather silly. Our goals are the same.
That's fine ... I wasn't seeking for your need or requiring of my approval.

And as far attempting to drive a wedge, that's laughable when you can't distinguish between a wedge and pcamps throwing a boomerang.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
It isn't those who quote the verses that are the problem, it is the ignorant and prejudiced interpretation of the verses that draws fire.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:23 PM

Default A gay man responds to the hypocrisy of the christian pizza owner

Quote:
So if the O’Connors—or others—would sell pizza to a gay couple on a regular basis, just not for a wedding, they’re really only claiming a symbolic opposition to gay marriage.

A wedding isn’t a marriage, and most of us wouldn’t want pizza as an integral part of our weddings anyway. But as an integral part of our marriages? You bet.

That day when both parties to the marriage are tired and have to get children to the next event and neither wants to cook? Order pizza!

That night when you both just want to snuggle down in front of RuPaul’s Drag Race or Orange Is the New Black and laugh and be, well, gay together? Order pizza!

The day you get back from a long day at the hospital wondering if your partner will survive the next week and you haven’t eaten? Order pizza!

Pizza, for better or worse, keeps many American families functional on a weekly basis. It allows the time for us to sit around a table, or in front of a television, or on the back deck, and to just enjoy being a family. It gives us time to feel the love we have for each other. Perhaps it even allows us to focus on and talk about difficult issues that could lead to the end of the marriage.

So selling us that pizza absolutely supports our marriages.

If it’s our same-sex marriages you object to, O’Connor family, you really should be arguing that you should never have to sell us pizza.

But if all you’re worried about is the symbolism of being a part of our weddings? You’re showing that perhaps these religious beliefs are perhaps not as “deeply held” as you profess.

Or that you don’t understand what marriage is and why we’re fighting so hard to get it. Or both.

My people have come down on you hard for that, so I feel sorry for you. I’m sure what is happening to you online and elsewhere feels like bullying. To a large extent it is—particularly the invidious name-calling and the online hijacking of your business name. And I say to those who are picking on the O’Connors, stop it. Now. Let’s be bigger than that.

But understand that many of us just don’t buy that you have a deeply felt religious objection to gay marriage. In many of our eyes, you’re hiding behind the Bible to cloak an anti-gay bigotry that is as much or more cultural than it is theological.

I, for one, will take a slightly different tack. I think you’re caught in a period of rapid social change that you never anticipated. It must be confusing, and challenging, to see the swiftness with which much of America has turned against Indiana, and your family, as the state’s proxy. This isn’t the world you grew up in.

It must be somewhat alarming to see all these people from the big city and the coasts coming after you. Many of us have, I fully admit, looked down our noses at people like you, folks from small towns and in conservative churches. And now we are calling you out as bigoted and backward, and dragging your good name through the mud.

Even the more than $800,000 that has come your way in online donations in the past few days can’t erase the sting of being condescended to and judged as immoral by people you haven’t even met. Trust me, this is a feeling that gay people know only too well.

After all, you are just trying to make a living, have a loving family, and live faithful lives. Just as me and mine are.

But if you and others can’t support our marriages and our families, then you should really hold fast to those convictions, and refuse to sell us pizza at any time. At least that would be consistent. I don’t want my civil rights and my human dignity violated for something that’s only a symbolic protest. My life means much more to me than that.
If Memories Pizza won't cater a same-sex wedding, it shouldn't serve gay people at all.

Near as I can tell, it is gay people who are being more tolerant and respectful than anyone, including myself, that is posting on this thread.

I've shown the differences to the sad, proud, resistant, judgmental fundamentalists. They neither can nor will change. But the words of GAY PEOPLE should haunt them consistently -- that it is fruitless to make refusing to sell to a gay wedding of some importance if they would sell to a gay couple coming into their restaurant. It's the kind of symbolism that is sheer nonsense.

That said, in the words of Jesus, "It is finished," at least for me.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 04-17-2015 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 04-17-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Hey ?.

Where are the scriptures to support that by faith you call sinners out for their sin?. You have no idea whether i approve of homosexuality or not, i will never give a fundamentalist that satisfaction, the LGBT folk have my complete support while they are being singled out by christian bigots, not by faith, just because i know it is right to do so.
really ... the supposedly higher intelligent pcamps can't read it for himself?
Look, per your ranting anyone who attempts to change another based on something you don't approve of takes no faith and is a bigot.

but just to show those who aren't bigoted and have faith (per your opposite definition) just one example is Hebrews 11:7
Hebrews 11:7
By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family.
By his faith he condemned the world
and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.
this Hebrews 11:7 is how we know who is in keeping with faith and who is the bigot and no has faith (according to your definition)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity