Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 08:00 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,633,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, saying the truth is the enough.

And just because you do not agree with her views does not mean she is evil, or bigoted, it just means that's how she sees it.

It just means she is misguided. She is not evil. Bigoted, yes. But, minds can be changed, including her mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 AM

8,186 posts, read 6,962,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I actually agree with Finn Jarber in his gripe that the owners have the right to speak what they believe(they are being truthful, but most definitely not speaking truth)according to the letter, but 100% strongly disagree with the spirit of it. There is nothing of God about it whatsoever, nothing wholesome or gracious, and most certainly nothing that can be seen to be honoring God, just a standing up for your conviction about something you do not approve of.

I agree, pcamps.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 PM

64,020 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yes, we do. I see worship, whether formal or consciousness of God's presence in our lives as expression of that closeness rather than an attempt to attain it.
That is an excellent way to ensure that God is as much a part of our lives as possible, nate. I admire you for it.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 PM

64,020 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
I actually agree with Finn Jarber in his gripe that the owners have the right to speak what they believe(they are being truthful, but most definitely not speaking truth)according to the letter, but 100% strongly disagree with the spirit of it. There is nothing of God about it whatsoever, nothing wholesome or gracious, and most certainly nothing that can be seen to be honoring God, just a standing up for your conviction about something you do not approve of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I agree, pcamps.
I too agree. Finn keeps pretending it is all about what she SAID . . . but that is NOT what the concern is about. It is about what she would DO. It is all hypothetical anyway. AS for the threats . . . NO ONE condones them or tries to defend them. They are never justified . . . though Finn seems to think they are the main point.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:30 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,393,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I too agree. Finn keeps pretending it is all about what she SAID . . . but that is NOT what the concern is about. It is about what she would DO. It is all hypothetical anyway. AS for the threats . . . NO ONE condones them or tries to defend them. They are never justified . . . though Finn seems to think they are the main point.
I also believe bible fundamentalists have created this whole mess themselves. There would be no gay person going into a food establishment to trap a bible fundamentalist owner, if they had not brought judgement and condemnation up on gay folk.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,790,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I too agree. Finn keeps pretending it is all about what she SAID . . . but that is NOT what the concern is about. It is about what she would DO.
Not pretending, because she didn't do anything else but speak, so there it nothing else you can accuse her of. You pretend she did something else in order to add some "bite" to your accusations and judgment. You should not be offended by other people's desire to follow their God. Instead, you should focus on YOUR OWN walk with God. Didn't you make an emotional post about the importance of MYOB? What happened?

Old 04-22-2015, 05:02 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,393,674 times
Quote:
Not pretending, because she didn't do anything else but speak, so there it nothing else you can accuse her of. You pretend she did something else in order to add some "bite" to your accusations and judgment. You should not be offended by other people's desire to follow their God. Instead, you should focus on YOUR OWN walk with God. Didn't you make an emotional post about the importance of MYOB? What happened?
Focus on your own walk with God?. You don not believe that for one minute, you believe it is your duty to call out that which you do not approve of in others.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:08 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,307,035 times
Quote:
Focus on your own walk with God?. You don not believe that for one minute, you believe it is your duty to call out that which you do not approve of in others.
Years ago, when Domino's Pizza was at it height of popularity and looked poised to take over the Pizza World from Little Caesars, the owner, Tom Monaghan made a comment about being rewarded in heaven.
He was spending money lke crazy on all these faith based programs around the county and the world.

In Nicaragua (pretty sure it was there), he started builing some monsterous church. Right at the height of the Contra Wars in Central American. The church was blown up like 2-4 times? People were devastated by the war economically. There was no jobs, no education, few doctors and very little food, but Monaghan was dedicated to building this multi-million dollar cathedral.

I believe that once it was finally completed, it stood several years before it was blown up for the 4th and final time.

The point here is that so many people questioned the motives for spending so much time, money and resources on sometghing as useless as a brick and mortar building when the people needed everything else in the way of food, jobs, housing, education, and ALL the basics of life.

Monaghan commented that, what good was all that, if the people were living in sin and did not have the chance to repent and earn salvation?

When pressed further as to why he took on this futile task of contructing this cathedral, his response was--

"IT IS BETTER TO BE AT THE RIGHT SIDE OF GOD AT THE THRONE, THAN TO BE A DOORMAN IN HEAVEN.." (paraphrase, but the point was he believed he had a greater reward and would be side-by-side with God and that being a doorman was beneath him and not acceptable..)

This is kind of the impression I get when others run about yelling, "I SEE YOUR SIN!" (pointing accusatorily)
Aren't they actually saying, "SEE GOD, I AM NOT LIKE THAT! LOOK AT ALL THOSE WHO WILLFULLY SIN AGAINST YOU GOD!!" "AREN'T YOU PLEASED WTH ME GOD, THAT I ALONE HAVE READ AND COMPLETLY UNDERSTAND YOUR WORD!" (cue chest thumping)

And they immediately rush over to provide the ONE; THE ONLY; APPROVED ROUTE TO SALVATION, all the while hoping the "sinner" will reject it so they can say, "SEE GOD, I AM HATED FOR YOUR NAME..I AM A GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVANT, BECAUSE I DO NOT FEAR WHAT MAN WILL SAY ABOUT ME! (chest thump) I AM NOT ASHAMED OF YOUR NAME." (more chest thumps)

They active seek out situations where they have the greatest likelihood of being correct or admonished and start proclaiming how wonderful they are and that by their faith they are persecuted and oppressed when all the rest of us just want then to SHUT UP and go back to singing 100 year old hymns while reading their KJV bibles.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,790,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
This is kind of the impression I get when others run about yelling, "I SEE YOUR SIN!" (pointing accusatorily)
Aren't they actually saying, "SEE GOD, I AM NOT LIKE THAT! LOOK AT ALL THOSE WHO WILLFULLY SIN AGAINST YOU GOD!!" "AREN'T YOU PLEASED WTH ME GOD, THAT I ALONE HAVE READ AND COMPLETLY UNDERSTAND YOUR WORD!" (cue chest thumping)
Not at all, but ironically it is exactly what you are doing.

The pizzeria owner did not point out anything in anyone else, and nor did she compare herself to anyone else, or judge anyone else, she only indicated her own desire to do what she believed to be right in eyes of God. It has nothing to do with anyone else.

You are the one pointing out error in others (in Christians) by accusing them or being bigots, hateful, loveless etc.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,307,035 times
Quote:
Not at all, but ironically it is exactly what you are doing.

The pizzeria owner did not point out anything in anyone else, and nor did she compare herself to anyone else, or judge anyone else, she only indicated her own desire to do what she believed to be right in eyes of God. It has nothing to do with anyone else.

You are the one pointing out error in others (in Christians) by accusing them or being bigots, hateful, loveless etc.
IIRC, I did not even mention the pizza lady, saying anyone sins nor did I use the word BIGOT to describe any bigots in my post? Of course you PARSED it severly to alter the overall context of what I did post..since it was all in reference to what Tom Monahagn did and his actions as related to evangelicals..

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 04-22-2015 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity