Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:34 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since I believe Jesus that He is the Son of God and that He revealed the TRUE NATURE of God to us by His teachings and example . . . especially in death . . . of what consequence would it be WHAT I believe about anything in Acts 1? Since I believe He saved us all from eternal separation from God under the New Covenant and abides with us as the Comforter (Holy Spirit sent in His name) to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" . . . of what consequence would it be WHAT I believe about anything in Acts 1? Since I believe Christ's instructions to His disciples to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't . . . of what consequence would it be WHAT I believe about anything in Acts 1?
I guess your answer to the question in the OP is zero.

What consequence? Technically none - but there is a resume' growing with your unbelief of the events described in Scripture. It's good to know that He is at the right hand of God. And there are a couple of OT mentions of His future ascension (Psalm 68, Psalm 110).

What amazed me about the post is that you are concerned with Christ's message - but yet you don't believe the resurrection actually occurred - which is the cornerstone of the gospel... and you are complaining about human vanity and hubris even though you routinely call the people in the OT primitive savages and barbarians.

You say above that He saved us from eternal separation - how is that so if He is not alive from an actual resurrection? All of these events are important factors in the claims that Christians make about Jesus being living and active today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:38 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Angels are created beings. Jesus is the son of God and is on an equally divine basis with the Lord, and the Holy Spirit (the Trinity). How can he be an angel?

I have the same disagreement with people who claim that other people are angels, such as the ridiculous "God sends us angels to be with us, only they are known to us as friends" nonsense.

Angels are angels, people are people, and God/Jesus/the Holy Spirit are divine.
Men are created beings also - yet He became one of us.

The passages for debate are where the angel of the Lord is mentioned.

The angel of the Lord speaks as God, identifies Himself with God, and exercises the responsibilities of God (Genesis 16:7-12; 21:17-18; 22:11-18; Exodus 3:2; Judges 2:1-4; 5:23; 6:11-24; 13:3-22; 2 Samuel 24:16; Zechariah 1:12; 3:1; 12:8). In several of these appearances, those who saw the angel of the Lord feared for their lives because they had “seen the Lord.” Therefore, it is clear that in at least some instances, the angel of the Lord is a theophany, an appearance of God in physical form.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:41 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since I believe Jesus that He is the Son of God and that He revealed the TRUE NATURE of God to us by His teachings and example . . . especially in death . . . of what consequence would it be WHAT I believe about anything in Acts 1? Since I believe He saved us all from eternal separation from God under the New Covenant and abides with us as the Comforter (Holy Spirit sent in His name) to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" . . . of what consequence would it be WHAT I believe about anything in Acts 1? Since I believe Christ's instructions to His disciples to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't . . . of what consequence would it be WHAT I believe about anything in Acts 1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I guess your answer to the question in the OP is zero.
What consequence? Technically none - but there is a resume' growing with your unbelief of the events described in Scripture. It's good to know that He is at the right hand of God. And there are a couple of OT mentions of His future ascension (Psalm 68, Psalm 110).
What amazed me about the post is that you are concerned with Christ's message - but yet you don't believe the resurrection actually occurred - which is the cornerstone of the gospel... and you are complaining about human vanity and hubris even though you routinely call the people in the OT primitive savages and barbarians.
You say above that He saved us from eternal separation - how is that so if He is not alive from an actual resurrection? All of these events are important factors in the claims that Christians make about Jesus being living and active today.
You are a bad guesser. I believe the "resurrection" occurred and it is vital to our salvation . . . but I do NOT believe what you do about it. Your beliefs about it are carnal . . . NOT spiritual. Christ is alive as a Spirit in a Spiritual body as we will be when we die. 1 Corinthians 15:35-54 The fixation on a physical body is carnal thinking for the benefit of our carnal minded (natural man) ancestors who were deathly terrified of Spirits . . . NOT for the spiritual minded. None of the beliefs ABOUT Christ have any bearing on our fate or status as Christians. Believing Christ about the TRUE NATURE of God and the importance of agape love and following His instructions are what matter.

There is nothing arrogant about stating a truth, DRob. Our ancestors in the OT WERE primitive savages and barbarians. You do not need much of an education to know that it was true.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:45 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It's not a trick question.

I'd like to know if He ascended into Heaven once or more and please provide scripture. After all, I am a fundamentalist you know.
it is impossible not to be in heaven.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
It's not a trick question.

I'd like to know if He ascended into Heaven once or more and please provide scripture. After all, I am a fundamentalist you know.
He paid many visits as a Spirit when visiting Abraham, Daniel etc, and then ascended as Jesus as described in Acts.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-07-2015 at 06:59 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 06:26 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Okay, so some of you believe He ascended into heaven once and some of you believe He went many times to heaven.

What if I could prove to you He went twice by scripture?

Mystic, Christ ascended into heaven as flesh and bones. Being "Spiritual" does not mean one is a Spirit. Just as being "Soulish" does not mean someone is just a "Soul" without flesh and bones.

The word "spiritual" is the adjectival form derived from "spirit" and means "pertaining to the spirit." For instance, a "spiritual person" is not a spirit being but rather a person who understands spiritual matters and is alive to God. Just as a soulish person is one whose bent it toward fulfilling the lusts of the flesh etc.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:29 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Angels are created beings. Jesus is the son of God and is on an equally divine basis with the Lord, and the Holy Spirit (the Trinity). How can he be an angel?

I have the same disagreement with people who claim that other people are angels, such as the ridiculous "God sends us angels to be with us, only they are known to us as friends" nonsense.

Angels are angels, people are people, and God/Jesus/the Holy Spirit are divine.
You need to study a bit more about the word for angel and messenger which are the same. Notice how many translate it "angel" when it applies to Jesus AND what the word meaning is. Jesus is an angel, a messenger sent by God. Blindly following a theology leads to a lack of scriptural understanding.

KJV Malachi 3:1 Behold, I will send my messenger (John the baptist), and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant (Jesus), whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

DRA Malachi 3:1 Behold I send my angel, and he shall prepare the way before my face. And presently the Lord, whom you seek, and the angel of the testament, whom you desire, shall come to his temple. Behold, he cometh, saith the Lord of hosts.

LXX (Greek translation of the Hebrew Jesus used) Malachi 3:1 <1> Behold, I send forth my messenger, and he shall survey the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come into his temple, even the angel of the covenant, whom ye take pleasure in: behold, he is coming, saith the Lord Almighty.

NJB Malachi 3:1 'Look, I shall send my messenger to clear a way before me. And suddenly the Lord whom you seek will come to his Temple; yes,the angel of the covenant, for whom you long, is on his way, says Yahweh Sabaoth.

TNK (Jewish translation to English) Malachi 3:1 Behold, I am sending My messenger to clear the way before Me, and the Lord whom you seek shall come to His Temple suddenly. As for the angel of the covenant that you desire, he is already coming.

Hebrew 4796 Malak. messenger -- 1. messenger, a. one sent with a message, , messengers of peace. b. a prophet; the herald of the advent. c. priest. d. a messenger from God acting as an interpreter and declaring what is right, e. fig. ~y[ir' 'm messengers of evil; twm 'm messengers of death. 2. angel, as messenger of God, ~ykalm with God in theophanies, praising him; in his sight not without error; charged with the care of the pious; elsewhere sg. sent to a prophet; excellent, wise, powerful; encamping about the faithful; chasing his enemies; destroying by judgment of Yahweh. 3. the theophanic angel ~yhla (h) 'm : wynp 'm (referring to the ancient $alm); tyrbh35

Greek: aggelos (angel) , ou m angel; messenger, one who is sent
'm (referring to the advent of 'y for judgment). (pg 521)

Last edited by expatCA; 04-07-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Okay, so some of you believe He ascended into heaven once and some of you believe He went many times to heaven.

What if I could prove to you He went twice by scripture?
For a while I thought I was struck with a business idea of creating a board game called "Bible Trivia Pursuit", but when I looked I realized it already existed.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-07-2015 at 08:57 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 08:48 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
For a while I thought I was struck with a business idea of creating a game called "Bible Trivia Pursuit", but when I looked I realized it already existed.
I'm waiting for those who have no need of a teacher, tell us their *revelation* God gave to them outside the Scriptures telling us Christ ascended into heaven and how many times, once, twice, thrice?

Old 04-07-2015, 09:55 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
yep, they just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity