Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 02:20 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Vizio's, you mean?
Yes.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes.
and, as I demonstrated, her own reasoning, too. Just as one cannot be a mormon without believing some basic mormon teachings, one cannot be a Christian without believing some basic Christian teachings.

The question that I have is...why does everyone get so worked up about being so inclusive in Christianity when we don't require the same thing of other religious groups? A mormon can get on here all day long and tell people that they are not mormons if they don't hold to certain beliefs...but if I try to do the same thing in defending my faith, I get called a bigot.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:45 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The question that I have is...why does everyone get so worked up about being so inclusive in Christianity when we don't require the same thing of other religious groups? A mormon can get on here all day long and tell people that they are not mormons if they don't hold to certain beliefs...but if I try to do the same thing in defending my faith, I get called a bigot.
Christ was inclusive . . . NOT exclusive. He did NOT create a set of beliefs that He wanted his disciples to believe . . . or else. He repeatedly instructed His disciples to love God and each other every day and repent when they didn't. THAT is how you follow Christ and THAT is who are Christians.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:46 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Originally Posted by twin.spin
right ... God doesn't go by "silly labels" yet you're sure he does of your labeling.

so who is labeling you as a Christian?

As far as something that you never done in your life, whose fault is that for not watching out for false prophets \ false teachers as Jesus revealed and as God also revealed the same in Jeremiah 14:14 and Jeremiah 23:26 ?

Just what do you think a false prophet says .... Hey lookie lookie, don't listen to me cause I'm a false prophet and don't worry cause I would never call myself a Christian !!
Quote:
Lots of people. A lot of other people label, including you, have labeled me as a "non-Christian."
What did you say recently ...
"Whether you believe He is the same being as His own Father or a different being, you can still revere Him as your Savior and strive to live as He told us to. That's how I believe He is going to recognize the "real Christians."
and the opposite of not " to strive as he He told us to" is what? ... you really think insinuation isn't the same as saying it?

Don't bother, I know you actually don't want to see it anymore than wanting to see that the Bible reveals that God is Triune.

Quote:
Jesus warned His followers to watch out for "false prophets." He didn't say anything about watching out for "all prophets."
"you can still revere Him as your Savior and strive to live as He told us to. That's how I believe He is going to recognize the "real Christians."
Only a wantonly individual not desiring to know the truth would reason away Jesus' warning under the rational banner of "all prophets" that you're suggesting by not to validate that statement in bold.
It's prudent to do the Berean method alone like they did with Paul along with researching if others with the same affiliation has historically said such.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Christ was inclusive . . . NOT exclusive. He did NOT create a set of beliefs that He wanted his disciples to believe . . . or else. He repeatedly instructed His disciples to love God and each other every day and repent when they didn't. THAT is how you follow Christ and THAT is who are Christians.
The irony is that you are completely oblivious to the fact that you're attempting to make theological statements about doctrine to say that theology and doctrine don't matter. So you're basically stating that you are full of hot air.

I have already chosen to ignore you...but I couldn't resist pointing out the fact that you are self-refuting.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
.but if I try to do the same thing in defending my faith, I get called a bigot.
Personal attacks should be reported to our hard-working mods.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:57 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
and, as I demonstrated, her own reasoning, too. Just as one cannot be a mormon without believing some basic mormon teachings, one cannot be a Christian without believing some basic Christian teachings.

Well that's just it...who gets to decide what the boundaries are? What doctrines are "non-negotiable" for any given religion?

These days it's pretty much a free-for-all, for better or for worse. "Christianity" can mean almost anything...from a generic belief in a "higher power" to strict biblical literalism to little more than cultural identity.

That's one of the main reasons I left Christianity. I couldn't understand why "one true God" couldn't keep the "one true faith" from fragmenting to the point where the term "Christian" has become almost meaningless.

Now that I am an atheist it all makes perfect sense: Christianity is a product of human imagination and is not from a God. Therefore it makes perfect sense that Christianity would change and fragment over time, as does any other human cultural construct.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well that's just it...who gets to decide what the boundaries are? What doctrines are "non-negotiable" for any given religion?
Quote:
Moderator cut: delete
These days it's pretty much a free-for-all, for better or for worse. "Christianity" can mean almost anything...from a generic belief in a "higher power" to strict biblical literalism to little more than cultural identity.

That's one of the main reasons I left Christianity. I couldn't understand why "one true God" couldn't even keep the "one true faith" from fragmenting to the point where the term "Christian" had become almost meaningless.
Even in the 1st Century, Paul warned that there were impostors in the faith that were teaching a false Gospel. Of course, God saves--and he has preserved his church to today....even in the midst of false teachers.
Quote:
Now that I am an atheist it all makes perfect sense: Christianity is a product of human imagination and is not from a God. Therefore it makes perfect sense that Christianity would change and fragment over time.
Yet, as I said...it's managed to survive for 2000 years despite all sorts of attacks.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-24-2015 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: complaint about moderation

Old 06-23-2015, 04:30 PM

75 posts, read 51,412 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mayan Triad.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	152385

Name:	Egyptian Triad.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	152386

Name:	Hindu Triad.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	152387

Name:	Viking Triad.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	152388Which one...

Old 06-23-2015, 05:58 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
[quote=Vizio;40135862Even in the 1st Century, Paul warned that there were impostors in the faith that were teaching a false Gospel. Of course, God saves--and he has preserved his church to today....even in the midst of false teachers.[/quote]

Pretty ironic that Paul should say that, huh?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.