Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:57 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,790,047 times

Advertisements

Jesus said His disciples continue in His word. This to me is using His words and teaching as He taught not acting in a way that the words are interpreted. He said that those who continue in His word will know what those words mean so those who do not teach with the words He used and the word of God from all the prophets cannot possibly know the meaning. He says it again when He says His sheep hear His voice because they follow Him. Not only that but Jesus says it is His sheep that He gives eternal life to not people who just put faith that He died for their sins. Paul made up a theology that did not have the teaching of Jesus at it's core because Jesus did not teach Him.

"If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

"My sheep hear my voice, I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish."

Paul never said those words yet many accept him. I continue in His word and you do not accept me. What does that say?

I come to you in my Father's name and you fail to accept me but let someone come to you in his own name and him you will accept.

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,432,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus said His disciples continue in His word. This to me is using His words and teaching as He taught not acting in a way that the words are interpreted. He said that those who continue in His word will know what those words mean so those who do not teach with the words He used and the word of God from all the prophets cannot possibly know the meaning. He says it again when He says His sheep hear His voice because they follow Him. Not only that but Jesus says it is His sheep that He gives eternal life to not people who just put faith that He died for their sins. Paul made up a theology that did not have the teaching of Jesus at it's core because Jesus did not teach Him.

"If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

"My sheep hear my voice, I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish."

Paul never said those words yet many accept him. I continue in His word and you do not accept me. What does that say?

I come to you in my Father's name and you fail to accept me but let someone come to you in his own name and him you will accept.

Comments?
Actually Paul spoke in agreement with Jesus on this.

Hebrews 13:20 20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting cove

As did Peter: 1 Peter 2:25 25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

There is no requirement to use the exact words, just speak in agreement with them, and Paul did as did Peter,unless you reject Peter too as he accepted Paul?

Old 06-26-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Actually Paul spoke in agreement with Jesus on this.

Hebrews 13:20 20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting cove

As did Peter: 1 Peter 2:25 25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

There is no requirement to use the exact words, just speak in agreement with them, and Paul did as did Peter,unless you reject Peter too as he accepted Paul?
Jesus said He gave the words given to Him to His disciples. He did not say He gave the meaning of the words to His disciples. He said they are sent as He was sent.

It has not been done yet except by me. I have done and do those words.

I am the light of the world. No one who follows me shall ever walk in darkness because he shall possess the light of life.

Possessing the light of life is possessing the word of the Lord because the word is the life. In order for one to possess it the disciple has to proclaim it. Not the meaning of it but the verses which are in scripture. The words of Jesus and the words of the prophets before him.

Peter did not use the words of Jesus nor did Paul so they did not understand. I have so I know.

Paul said to follow him as he followed Jesus but he did not follow Him.

Follow me and you follow the son of man.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,432,644 times
Quote:
Jesus said He gave the words given to Him to His disciples. He did not say He gave the meaning of the words to His disciples. He said they are sent as He was sent.

It has not been done yet except by me. I have done and do those words.

I am the light of the world. No one who follows me shall ever walk in darkness because he shall possess the light of life.

Possessing the light of life is possessing the word of the Lord because the word is the life. In order for one to possess it the disciple has to proclaim it. Not the meaning of it but the verses which are in scripture. The words of Jesus and the words of the prophets before him.

Peter did not use the words of Jesus nor did Paul so they did not understand. I have so I know.

Paul said to follow him as he followed Jesus but he did not follow Him.

Follow me and you follow the son of man.
Uh, if that is the case we would not have the gospels quoting Jesus saying slightly different words, with the same meaning. Where did Jesus ever say use ONLY the words I do?

After all that would mean the only prayer we could say would be the Lord's prayer and in Hebrew too boot. OK, maybe Hebrew or Koine Greek. Whenw e speak English we use the "meanings" of the original words, not the exact words. Your quotes are simply a translation giving the meaning. In effect you are doing what you say Paul did.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Uh, if that is the case we would not have the gospels quoting Jesus saying slightly different words, with the same meaning. Where did Jesus ever say use ONLY the words I do?

After all that would mean the only prayer we could say would be the Lord's prayer and in Hebrew too boot. OK, maybe Hebrew or Koine Greek. Whenw e speak English we use the "meanings" of the original words, not the exact words. Your quotes are simply a translation giving the meaning. In effect you are doing what you say Paul did.
Translating a word is far different than summing up a theology in your own words. If Paul spoke the same language Jesus did there was no need to change the words. You say "Where did Jesus say use only the words He used."

He said to continue in His word. He said to abide in His word. He said that He gave His words to those who accept them and keep them. With Jesus it was all about the words. The truth, the word of God.

If disciples are sent to all the nation's do you think Jesus wanted His followers to speak a language the natives could not understand. Of course not. Translating a word should not change the meaning.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:34 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,195,206 times
The gospel of grace that Paul wrote of is substantiated throughout the entire bible (if you have eyes to see it).

Jesus was speaking to a people who were endoctrinated to the law of Moses, and only through His words would they be set free from the law (as Paul wrote).

Old 06-26-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The gospel of grace that Paul wrote of is substantiated throughout the entire bible (if you have eyes to see it).

Jesus was speaking to a people who were endoctrinated to the law of Moses, and only through His words would they be set free from the law (as Paul wrote).
If Paul wrote of the words of Jesus why did he not use them.

Paul misunderstood the grace of God as sinners do.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:03 PM

45,650 posts, read 27,275,817 times
Quote:

Comments?
Do you believe Jesus' ministry ended when He died His earthly death? You seem to be stuck in this three year span of Jesus' life as though His life and ministry ended on the cross.

Jesus is alive... today. He is able to communicate to people from heaven through the Holy Spirit as He said He would - and that includes communicating to Paul in his day, which was captured in part in the Scriptures.

I don't understand why you are having a hard time with this.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:24 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,038,708 times
Just like the other thread on John 8:31 people who listen to Jesus and keep in His Word ..... See Jesus Spirit will converse with these people as this is the heart and plan of God from the very beginning to interact with man and make Him the image of God ................... Even though these people will also hear the voice of the demons , Jesus spirit will discern thee spirit for their protection in His blessing ................... People of the world who have no protection can have indwelling of these demons and think their ideas and talk their ideas , where Jesus sheep identify these indwelling demons and remove these through Jesus blood prayers of binding and loosening where Holy Spirit will rip them out ......See God allows thee demons to bother everyone including His sheep but gives the tools of Gods power to His sheep and Holy Spirit will cleanse people through Jesus identity

Old 06-27-2015, 05:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,259,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Just like the other thread on John 8:31 people who listen to Jesus and keep in His Word ..... See Jesus Spirit will converse with these people as this is the heart and plan of God from the very beginning to interact with man and make Him the image of God ................... Even though these people will also hear the voice of the demons , Jesus spirit will discern thee spirit for their protection in His blessing ................... People of the world who have no protection can have indwelling of these demons and think their ideas and talk their ideas , where Jesus sheep identify these indwelling demons and remove these through Jesus blood prayers of binding and loosening where Holy Spirit will rip them out ......See God allows thee demons to bother everyone including His sheep but gives the tools of Gods power to His sheep and Holy Spirit will cleanse people through Jesus identity
And His word(s) were LOVE GOD and LOVE NEIGHBOR..By do these all things are fulfilled...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity