Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can one be born again without being a disciple of Jesus?
Yes, they're two separate things 4 19.05%
No, being born again means you become a disciple of Jesus 17 80.95%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:29 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times

Advertisements

We should all know that one must be born again to inherit eternal life.

Jesus said, "...Ye must be born again." - John 3:7

So, the question is: can one be born again without being a disciple of Jesus?

Last edited by scgraham; 09-12-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 12:59 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,467 times
Luke 6: 46 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?"
A definition of disciple is a follower of person or idea -- somebody who believes in and follows the teachings of a leader, philosophy, or religion.

Many people think themselves to be disciples of the Messiah, but they don't have any idea how to follow Him -- meaning do what He said to do and what He did.

I blame these main factors:
  • The church in general is more interested in entertaining than in teaching.
  • The church is more interested in entertaining because that is where the bucks are.
  • The church in general itself is uneducated in the Bible and thus don't know what he did.
  • The church in general is more interested in its traditions than in the Truth.
  • The people are more interested in entertainment than in learning Bible.
  • The people want more bang for their buck.
  • The people don't study the Bible.
  • The people will not give up their traditions for the Truth.

Interested in being a disciple? Start reading the Bible with an eye for:
  1. What Messiah did
  2. What He said to do
  3. Do it.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Luke 6: 46 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?"
A definition of disciple is a follower of person or idea -- somebody who believes in and follows the teachings of a leader, philosophy, or religion.

Many people think themselves to be disciples of the Messiah, but they don't have any idea how to follow Him -- meaning do what He said to do and what He did.

I blame these main factors:
  • The church in general is more interested in entertaining than in teaching.
  • The church is more interested in entertaining because that is where the bucks are.
  • The church in general itself is uneducated in the Bible and thus don't know what he did.
  • The church in general is more interested in its traditions than in the Truth.
  • The people are more interested in entertainment than in learning Bible.
  • The people want more bang for their buck.
  • The people don't study the Bible.
  • The people will not give up their traditions for the Truth.

Interested in being a disciple? Start reading the Bible with an eye for:
  1. What Messiah did
  2. What He said to do
  3. Do it.
Given your logic here, wouldn't that make "once saved always saved" a false doctrine?

John 8:31 - Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed

Continuing in Jesus' Word is a requirement to be His disciple.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Given your logic here, wouldn't that make "once saved always saved" a false doctrine?

John 8:31 - Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed

Continuing in Jesus' Word is a requirement to be His disciple.
No.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
No.
Jesus put a condition on being His disciple. That condition is "continuing in His word". If we don't do that, then we won't be His disciples. If we aren't His disciples, then we aren't born again anymore; we've whithered up and are ready to be tossed into the oven. Let's hope we wake up and repent before we're thrown into the fire!

Old 09-12-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Jesus put a condition on being His disciple. That condition is "continuing in His word". If we don't do that, then we won't be His disciples. If we aren't His disciples, then we aren't born again anymore; we've whithered up and are ready to be tossed into the oven. Let's hope we wake up and repent before we're thrown into the fire!
Yes, I hope people do wake up and repent!

Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,892 times
The 2 go hand in hand.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,955 times
Ok. I think that if you are not a born-again Christian, then perhaps that you are not a disciple of Jesus? People can (insert pretend) to be a Christian but not be a disciple of Jesus. Again, it leads back to, "was there true repentence?"

Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
The difference or distinction in the expression of born "again" has the meaning of born "anew" without the concept of repetition.
Thus, through the Spirit of Christ shall all be revived and restored to newness of life.

"All correction for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, subsequently, yield the peaceful fruit of righteousness."

Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
I don't think I've ever met a true disciple of Christ (?).

Most will resist if someone hits them in the face.

Most will kill (if attacked) in order to save their own lives.

Most turn away (at least some of) those who would borrow from them and carefully weigh their options before giving "to him who asks of thee".

Most give - but make sure they write it off on their taxes.

Mahatma Gandhi is one account I've heard of someone who actually lived the sermon on the mount.

I'm sure some missionaries also qualified for the title, those in the story "The end of the Spear" for instance.

http://www.endofthespear.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity