Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can one be born again without being a disciple of Jesus?
Yes, they're two separate things 4 19.05%
No, being born again means you become a disciple of Jesus 17 80.95%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Either way, it dismisses this easy believism doctrine. Jesus' disciples continue in His word and they obey.
There is nothing easy about believism, whatever that term is you take to mean. We come to faith, or rather receive faith, by the gracious work of the Holy Spirit upon us. That faith was accomplished for us (those who believe) by Christ on the cross. It was anything BUT easy my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 05:52 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
Quote:
Either way, it dismisses this easy believism doctrine. Jesus' disciples continue in His word and they obey.
What's the time limit? How long do you have to be sinless before you die so you can get into Heaven?

I'm being serious.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
What's the time limit? How long do you have to be sinless before you die so you can get into Heaven?

I'm being serious.
I agree. Look, if it takes our work and righteousness to get us to heaven (it doesn't, but lets pretend here for a moment), I say confess all sins now and jump off the nearest bridge. I'm obviously being sarcastic here, but why take a chance for something that will last for eternity if you mess up for a moment?

Also, does anyone actually do any good works perfectly? I mean with absolute perfection, just like Jesus did? That is what it takes. Absolute perfection, with not a trace of imperfection. If you know of someone, I would like to meet him/her.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:00 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
There is nothing easy about believism, whatever that term is you take to mean. We come to faith, or rather receive faith, by the gracious work of the Holy Spirit upon us. That faith was accomplished for us (those who believe) by Christ on the cross. It was anything BUT easy my friend.
Jesus' disciples keep His word, which have His commandments. If one does not keep His commandments, then they are not His disciples.

1 John 2
[3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
[4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
[5] But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
[6] He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Keeping His commandments requires faith in Jesus, not mere belief in Jesus.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I'm being serious.
What kind of sins are you talking about? Willful sins or ignorant sins?

As we walk in the light, the Holy Spirit will expose one's wrongdoing or ignorant sins to be corrected. If one is willfully sinning, then they are not saved at all. They need to repent with godly sorrow.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:17 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
Quote:
What kind of sins are you talking about? Willful sins or ignorant sins?

As we walk in the light, the Holy Spirit will expose one's wrongdoing or ignorant sins to be corrected. If one is willfully sinning, then they are not saved at all. They need to repent with godly sorrow.
Willful.

So if someone sins willfully, they are not saved? The moment they become saved they stop sinning willfully? I have yet to see this. I've seen a great reduction in the sinfulness of people who are saved, but not stopping completely.

You honestly NEVER sin willfully? Not one more piece of cheesecake or one more glass of wine? Ever?

Of course we need to repent w/ Godly sorrow when we sin, but that wasn't really my question. How long do you have to be in this sinless state to qualify? How long was the thief on the cross sinless?

And why would the Holy Spirit even bother with us if He knows the end result? I've personally seen some people totally delivered from some sins w/ no effort on their part at all, the HS just took it away (I'm speaking of addiction in this instance), but they struggle with others.

I'm not trying to argue w/ you, just trying to understand better.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Of course we need to repent w/ Godly sorrow when we sin, ...
If one has repented with godly sorrow, then they won't go back to their sins; it's like a dog returning to his vomit. Afterward, however, if they happen to fall to sin under temptation, Jesus will forgive them if they are sincere about not committing sin anymore. Jesus is patient with us leading us into His perfection, if we are sincere-hearted. When we are sincere-hearted, we know that committing sin puts us in the image of the devil; this is godly sorrow.

1 John 3
[6] Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
[7] Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
[8] He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
[9] Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Through faith, feast on the Word in prayers and fastings, and watch the deliverance from all sin occur. Jesus said you can't be His disciple unless you deny yourself. But of course, some will call denying yourself "works".

Old 09-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Jesus' disciples keep His word, which have His commandments. If one does not keep His commandments, then they are not His disciples.

1 John 2
[3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
[4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
[5] But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
[6] He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Keeping His commandments requires faith in Jesus, not mere belief in Jesus.
This is all well and good, and I don't deny that those born of the Spirit are also those lead by the Spirit. However, that is not what justifies or saves us. Let's consider what the word faith and believe mean:

The word Faith (Greek: πίστις) means:

to win over, persuade. Faith.
Subjectively meaning: firm persuasion, conviction, belief in the truth, veracity.
Objectively meaning: that which is believed, doctrine, the received articles of faith.

The word Belief or Believe (Greek πιστεύω) means:

faith. To believe, have faith in, trust.

A person either believes (has faith and trust) that God in-fact justifies sinners, the wicked, the ungodly, the impious by Christ ALONE, or they do not believe it.

Those who believe, and have faith in this truth, are said to have the Righteousness of Christ imputed (reckoned) to their account. If they do not believe, then they DO NOT.

It's really that simple. Here, read Romans 4:5 again:

Rom 4:5 and to him who is not working, and is believing upon Him who is declaring righteous the impious, his faith is reckoned--to righteousness:

The righteousness of Christ IS imputed to those who believe. However, those who are seeking to establish their own righteousness (by works, the law, or by anything other than Christ ALONE) obviously do not believe the good news (the Gospel), and are NOT imputed with Christ's righteousness.

If you want to refer to it as "simple believe-ism", so be it. But that is exactly what scripture proclaims.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:29 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:

I'm being serious.
"For when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled; we shall be saved by his life."

Reconciled by death, saved by his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity