Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:28 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Okay, I'll bite.

Why do we as Christians have such pity on poor people? Didn't Christ say "Blessed are the poor, for the Kingdom shall be theirs"? So if we give money to the poor and make them un-poor, how can they inherit the Kingdom? "The love of money is the root of all evil", so if a poor person wants money, isn't that a sin and isn't the person that gives them money contributing to that sin.

I say, let us celebrate poverty. When we suffer, we are drawn closer to Christ. Let us be poor in this world and wealthy in Eternal Life.

Jesus didn't go around giving money to poor people.
He didn't have money. Instead He healed the sick and raised the dead--that might be a lot better than money, you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Who was he talking to and why? What happened after he said that? Look at the context of it. Was there a reason he told that person that? What was illustrated by it?
Vizio, it is astonishing that you will talk about "context" with regard to this situation and completely ignore context with things like gay or plural marriages. Does context only count when you need to make something appear more rational?

Old 07-07-2015, 01:42 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Who was he talking to and why? What happened after he said that? Look at the context of it. Was there a reason he told that person that? What was illustrated by it?
Well that is true. One must consider the context. But it has been generally accepted throughout the history of Christianity that what Jesus taught the people of his time was intended for the people of all time. It's not like we should expect him to have said "On July 7, 2015, I command Vizio and Retroit to have a respectable conversation on the City-Data forum". We can assume that that was his intention when he told his apostles to "Love one another" (John 13:34 ).

Old 07-07-2015, 01:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Well that is true. One must consider the context. But it has been generally accepted throughout the history of Christianity that what Jesus taught the people of his time was intended for the people of all time. It's not like we should expect him to have said "On July 7, 2015, I command Vizio and Retroit to have a respectable conversation on the City-Data forum". We can assume that that was his intention when he said "Love one another" (John 13:34 ).
In the story you were referring to, it was a rich young man that loved his money more than God. By telling him to do that, Jesus exposed it. The point is, there is nothing wrong with having money, as long as it doesn't get in the way of your faith in God. Think about it...what America considers "poor" would be considered extremely wealthy in some countries. Who gets to decide how much money is too much?

Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Vizio, it is astonishing that you will talk about "context" with regard to this situation and completely ignore context with things like gay or plural marriages. Does context only count when you need to make something appear more rational?
I've always said we need to speak about context. That includes the topic of homosexuality. The issue is that you and I disagree in regards to the context.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
In the story you were referring to, it was a rich young man that loved his money more than God. By telling him to do that, Jesus exposed it. The point is, there is nothing wrong with having money, as long as it doesn't get in the way of your faith in God. Think about it...what America considers "poor" would be considered extremely wealthy in some countries. Who gets to decide how much money is too much?
What about using context with other verses of scripture?

Matthew 6:19-21- Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: (KJV)

Matthew 6:24- No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.(KJV)

I Timothy 6:10- For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. (KJV)

Luke 16:11-If, then, you have not been true in your use of the wealth of this life, who will give into your care the true wealth? (BBE)

Mark 10:23-25 - And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, "How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!" And the disciples were astonishedat His words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, "Children, how hard it is for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (KJV)

Which of these verses have a context of speaking to one person specifically about money? It seems to have been a very GENERAL message from Christ about wealth. Nowhere does He praise wealth--instead, over and over, there is a general warning.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I've always said we need to speak about context. That includes the topic of homosexuality. The issue is that you and I disagree in regards to the context.
The context of the Levitical injunction was not in the idolatry practiced by other religions?

The context of Romans 1 was not in the context of Roman idolatry and temple prostitutes?

What context have you used? It was good enough for Moses so it's good enough for me?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:45 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Okay, but I think the point was not simply that this one man's love of money was interfering with his love of God, but rather that anyone's love of money interferes with their love of God. If we only accept the Bible as Jesus' teachings to the people he was directly talking to (i.e. "in context"), then the Bible has no relevance for us or anyone other than those specifically mentioned in the Bible.

But my point was/is that if giving money to poor people is considered "doing good" (in the words of the OP), then aren't we saying that the transfer of money is more important than the love of God (regardless of wealth)? We have made poverty something that rich people should have shame or pity about, when I think Jesus was trying to teach us that poverty is a beneficial quality we should all strive to attain. In other words, poor shouldn't be given money so that all are rich (or at least non-poor), but rather we should all strive to be poor.

And I realize I am contradicting the teachings of Christ to some extant because Jesus did command us to help the poor, but I'm pointing out an inconsistency in his teachings. On one hand, he is saying that being poor is a blessed, honorable condition that we should all strive for, but how can you be poor if rich people are always giving you money? I think he would have been better off saying something along the lines of what you said: "It doesn't matter how much money you have, what matters is that you put your love for God first and not let the accumulation of money or things become the focus of your life. So don't be ashamed of being poor or being rich."

But who am I to tell God what to say?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:40 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Now just a few verses away in Luke, we find the story of Zacchaeus. When Zacchaeus ' money was mentioned, he was immediately willing to abandon it. No excuses, no urging needed, displaying the difference between his heart and that of the rich young ruler.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:49 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll bite.

Why do we as Christians have such pity on poor people? Didn't Christ say "Blessed are the poor, for the Kingdom shall be theirs"? So if we give money to the poor and make them un-poor, how can they inherit the Kingdom? "The love of money is the root of all evil", so if a poor person wants money, isn't that a sin and isn't the person that gives them money contributing to that sin.

I say, let us celebrate poverty. When we suffer, we are drawn closer to Christ. Let us be poor in this world and wealthy in Eternal Life.

Jesus didn't go around giving money to poor people.
Actually he did, or rather he asked others to do so since Christ was basically dirt poor.

We also do it because when we do, we do it for Him (Jesus)

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?
When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?
When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

Sound the least bit familiar? Or has the evangelical fundie fallen to the corporate idea that greed is good and the poor are lazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity