Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Let me help you out a bit mike. There's really only one major reason religious adherents are dropping out of the pool:

Education. People know more today than any previous generation and that knowledge is spanning the globe at the speed of whatever your internet connection is.

DAN 12:4 "But you, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."

DAN 12:10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

The increase of knowledge is not a sign of morality and without humility it increases arrogance. It is written, "Knowledge puffs up but love edifies." Knowledge is a wonderful thing because God put so much here for us to delight ourselves with but without righteousness, the proud and the tyrants use to lord it over others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:59 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
I submit that Adam fell from revelation down to education, from discerning to learning.

We should be a much higher order.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
DAN 12:4 "But you, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."

DAN 12:10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

The increase of knowledge is not a sign of morality and without humility it increases arrogance. It is written, "Knowledge puffs up but love edifies." Knowledge is a wonderful thing because God put so much here for us to delight ourselves with but without righteousness, the proud and the tyrants use to lord it over others
The bible is hardly a good go-to book for learning about moral behaviour.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have 3 college degrees. I'm hardly uneducated. Yet, I have a belief in Christ. I know a lot of very educated people that also believe in God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I gotta ask. Are any of those degrees from a bible college or seminary?
That's just it. I wouldn't consider a degree from (for example) Liberty University or Oral Roberts University to be a sign of a reality-based education.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:49 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That's just it. I wouldn't consider a degree from (for example) Liberty University or Oral Roberts University to be a sign of a reality-based education.
My neighbor "gad-ee-ated" from Benny Hinn University and has a degree in psychopathy from Jimmy Swaggart State....and he is really edge-u-ma-cated

Old 07-17-2015, 11:01 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
There is a growing spirit of renunciation of religious faith based on a mirad of factors ,which I cannot
100% identify as its a work in progress plus I don't wish to judge especially as there is a broad base
of exceptions. The spectrum begins in less obvious levels of lack of nurturing by philosphical parents,
behavior ( etiquette/rudeness), drugs( medications), emphasis on mother earth (storing treasures here rather than heaven), biblically disconnected , evil good and good evil,hate, immorality, breaking God covenants, social influences ( disconnect), media, robotic personality disorder ( smart /cell phone based) .
yup. good observation mike. there are five types of people that we have to try and use knowledge base claims with. Four of them are not open to any suggestions that counter the safety of their world view via statements of belief and not knowledge. But we have to keep trying.

"faithless" to me just means unfocused. so the breaking apart of a single goal will cause war and what not and maybe sometime in the future it will find a single goal again. It has done so in the past. Even if 'atheism" is the baseless focal point at least it is one to me. Fundies are all the same to me.

But I really think we are starting the next evolutionary step. well, I hope anyway. And in the grand scheme of things earth doesn't matter, only life matters. And the data is showing that the universe may be life itself.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:11 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have 3 college degrees. I'm hardly uneducated. Yet, I have a belief in Christ. I know a lot of very educated people that also believe in God.
The point is that the counter to the religious claims was never given until the Internet. Then the likes of Cliff Walker and Farrell Till got to a wider audience. In all your three college degrees i'll bet you never had the sort of arguments posed that we put (and don't say they are not a poser for you - I NEVER got a reply from you on the Nativity - nor from your pinch -hitter) and this is the education that is getting across for the first time.

It may not be why there is a slide away from organized religion. if it is really happening, there may be other reasons altogether. I would like to think that our efforts are not entirely unrelated to it.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:24 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post

From personal experience, knowledge - real knowledge, not faith claims - increases humility. Because of how much we don't know and how often new information obliges a rethink (just the other day I had to admit that my Pluto was a comet idea was blown out of the water by the photos). It is those who claim to know on Faith (1) and reject any data that doesn't fit that faith, that increases the arrogance.

I take your point about 'without righteousness' (not your Daniel quotes, which relate to a 1st c BC that never happened) but humanist morality is far better than Bible -based righteousness which merely gives authority to those what want to lord it over others.

They don't all, not saying they do. but the nature of the beast is that the decent and moderate get pushed aside by the loudmouth and the demagogue.

(1) to me 'Faith' means maintaining that something is so without a sufficiency of valid evidence. Belief in something with convincing evidence for it is not the stuff of fundamentalism.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-17-2015 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 09:08 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
We have to be careful not to be bullied underground as christians. We need to also have charity for a wave of homosexual liberism even in the church by standing firm on the marriage covenant ,but not persecuting homosexuals who we must love and provide credibility that we are Godly not hate mongers.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:42 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
You posters are too smart for me, but I get your take on religion although a segment of christian religions as diverse as many are offer a morality check on a fickle human race drawn in to distracting affluencia, sin inappropriate behavior, lack of nurturing of children in good vs evil not withstanding the parent(s). All that said is the OTHER portion left over from the partial or segment of religion is doctrinal manmade nonsense. So a direct relationship with God via the likes of a evangelical nondenoms might provide the key in escaping the "club" the " organization" of those "only way" religions and their bondage ( some exceptions based on "real " pastors who are out there to tap.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity