Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 02:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,244,899 times

Advertisements

Speaks for its self..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rHh...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 02:47 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,721,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Zman, this is truly a great message in a bottle. I particularly liked Pastor Smith's words:

"You can't antagonize and then evangelize. You can't insult and then inspire."

DrRob4JC needs to view a real sermon from an inspired black preacher. More than that, he needs to have it sink into his heart.

Too soon, etc., but a big thumbs up!!!

Old 07-25-2015, 03:08 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,721,807 times
To my knowledge the tune to the following hymn, written by a homosexual pastor more than a decade ago, is unavailable from any source. Not certain, but I think the tune is to "Stand Up for Jesus" by George James Webb. The words are terrific, and I understand it was sung frequently in the Metropolitan Community Church in Boston, I believe:

1. When Israel camped in Sinai, then Moses heard from God:
    "This message tell my people, and give them this, my word:
    From Egypt I was with you, and carried on my wing,
    The whole of your great nation from slavery I did bring.
  2. Just like a mother eagle, who helps her young to fly,
    I am a mother to you, your needs will I supply;
    And you are as my children, the ones who hear my voice,
    I am a mother to you, the people of my choice."
  3. If God is like an eagle who helps her young to fly,
    And God is also Father, what then of you and I?
    We have no fear of labels, we have no fear of roles--
    If God's own being blends them, we seek the selfsame goals.
  4. Our God is not a woman, our God is not a man;
    Our God is both and neither, our God is I Who Am.
    From all the roles that bind us our God has set us free.
    What freedom does God give us? The freedom just to be.
Rev. Laurence G. Bernier

Old 07-25-2015, 03:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,209,252 times
Interesting that he thinks God speaks to him.

But he makes a great point. I absolutely agree that we gloss over the sinful behavior of many people in the church. But why the false dichotomy? We are to call people to repentance regardless of the sin. I agree that the church has completely failed in that regard.

But he also demonstrated a lack of understanding of the Mosaic Law. He seemed to dismiss homosexuality as a sin because it's from Leviticus, but completely ignored the fact that Jesus did preach the Biblical definition of marriage.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,244,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

But he makes a great point. I absolutely agree that we gloss over the sinful behavior of many people in the church. But why the false dichotomy? We are to call people to repentance regardless of the sin. I agree that the church has completely failed in that regard.

But he also demonstrated a lack of understanding of the Mosaic Law. He seemed to dismiss homosexuality as a sin because it's from Leviticus, but completely ignored the fact that Jesus did preach the Biblical definition of marriage.
Does God not speak to you reverend?

GOD still speaks today, do you not believe that?

He was speaking about DIVORCE..Jesus never said SSM was a sin. JESUS never ever mentions SSM..He talks ONLY about DIVORCE. Then he adds that some were BORN EUNUCHS (LGBTQ)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP twisting scripture and taking contextual liberties to fit fundie oppression.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:53 PM

16,701 posts, read 15,697,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Does God not speak to you reverend?

GOD still speaks today, do you not believe that?

He was speaking about DIVORCE..Jesus never said SSM was a sin. JESUS never ever mentions SSM..He talks ONLY about DIVORCE. Then he adds that some were BORN EUNUCHS (LGBTQ)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP twisting scripture and taking contextual liberties to fit fundie oppression.
I've asked several times for somebody to quote the Biblical DEFINITION of marriage, but all I ever get are references to a wedding, a bride, etc. No definition. I thought one of these people who know the Bible so well would know where the definition is.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:01 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:

Yes, he pretends Leviticus is the only book where it is mentioned. That is deceptive.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:02 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,320,738 times
Quote:

Interesting that you believe he doesn't. Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Just to remind you the mouth of God is not the bible, but that which he does say can be heard by those who have an ear to hear.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:07 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,320,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, he pretends Leviticus is the only book where it is mentioned. That is deceptive.
Are you serious? Did it go right over your head the point he was making. Enjoy your shrimp sandwich, they taste better by the way up here in New England.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:12 PM

25,974 posts, read 22,154,119 times
Calling Evil Good and Good Evil - I recognized what the OP was bringing to our attention right away:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhyeopJEurw

It has been said so many times here on C-D and dragging the same thing up again and again will not change the word of God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWw5ySpB7Y It was written. The law of God doesn't change. Yes, some churches are trying to keep up with the times in their social club fashion rather than honoring God by calling evil good and good evil. All those that support this deny the God of Abraham but that is why God gave men freewill so that they could prove themselves or not.

We are all tempted by sin. We all sin. We do not however try to force others to support our sins. We do not try to change the word of God to fit our personal agendas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity