Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:22 PM

1,100 posts, read 796,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I understand people get mad, we all do, but is it possible to actively hate a group of people and still be christian? There seems to be many people that consider themselves devout christians these days that spend a awful amount of time actively hating others which comes across as completely antithetical to actual christian values. Isn't hatred much more representative of the devil than of Christ?
Hatred is a work of the flesh which is not to be confused with anger since it is written be angry, but do not sin.

Ephesians 4:26Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

Hate the sin but love the sinner is often tempted to hating the sin & the sinner at the same time. It is a war of principality which is why we need to trust Jesus Christ as our Good Shepjerd in helping us to follow Him; and believers may need reminders of that as any one does when facing a storm in their lives.

Believers that hate others are still saved, BUT they are not abiding in Him as His disciples when they hate people. This is critical in their walk with Him because Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners; and that sinner that the christian may hate, may be saved later on and go to Heaven; in which case; God's requirement for that believer to forgive others as God in Christ has forgiven us is essential because no one will be allowed to hate any one up in Heaven. If they do not deal with the "hatred" now, then they run the risk of being left behind when the Bridegroom comes for the abiding bride of Christ at the pre tribulational rapture event to attend the marriage Supper above.

How can there be any celebration in Heaven for what Christ has done for that believer and the other believer if their is hatred coming from one or both of them? That is why the unrepentant saved believer may find himself/herself left behind.

So every believer is saved, but each should take heed on how they build on that foundation. Hatred can defile the temple of God and leads to other sins like maliciousness; actually doing something to the person he hates to cause them harm in some way.

But as it is, hating a group of people is evidence that these christian brothers & sisters need Jesus to help them to love them, but hate the sin or whatever iniquity that sets those group of people apart from them. Loving others is not compromising on sin, but having fellowship with those that are living in sin, is.

Not having fellowship with those that are astray or those that do not believe but live in sin, is considered abiding in Christ as His disciple. We are to love others, but not turn a blind eye to sin when those they profess to love are going to get a comeuppance from God, one way or another, and they know it, but they sacrifice godly love for the worldly love of unity; and there really is no such thing as it is a false peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Of course, it is possible. There is nothing about being a Christian that eliminates ANY of our human failings. Are we doing what Christ taught and demonstrated when we hate . . . absolutely NOT!
Well, I'm not really talking about failings, every human has those. I'm talking about hatred that is ongoing of an individual or group. Is that inline with christian values? I suppose you could call that a failing but at some point if it defines who you are it can't be considered a mistake. That's why I put "active" in the post heading.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
I think we know hatred when we see it. Is it:
a : intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury?
b : extreme dislike or antipathy?: loathing <had a great hate of hard work>

If so it's hate. Especially if it is systematic and ongoing.
So, where do you see this kind of behavior? Do you have examples from this board?

Is it possible for a Christian to experience hate? Yes.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,078 times
Christians arent perfect and they also have a free will. Christ is to be their example but humans while in the flesh can still sin. Non the less its God who does the judging and no one else. We are commanded as christians to love the sinner but hate their sin. Doesnt mean wicked people just get a free pass as the judicial system set up by God in the Bible.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:33 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
I understand people get mad, we all do, but is it possible to actively hate a group of people and still be christian? There seems to be many people that consider themselves devout christians these days that spend a awful amount of time actively hating others which comes across as completely antithetical to actual christian values. Isn't hatred much more representative of the devil than of Christ?
I don't think it's hate; it's probably more self-preservation. Is it okay to tell/ask your children to date within their own *race?

*Most people are not pure anything.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:38 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, where do you see this kind of behavior? Do you have examples from this board?

Is it possible for a Christian to experience hate? Yes.
Well, the Westboro baptist church is as good as any I suppose.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
No a Christian should never hate a "group", rather hate what God has indicated is bad, not people.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
I'm not sure but saying you hate divorce is a bit different then saying you hate a divorcee or a divorced person. Especially if you become active in your hatred of that person.

Actually, that brings up a good point, are there any examples of Jesus hating a person?
You are on target.

It is the activity the God hates. It's the sin that exhibits a lack of faith in God. Just like when I hate when my kids are disobedient. I don't hate them - but I hate what they do.

The emotion is not sinful - as God has emotions. But how we react to our emotion can lead to sin. See the account of Cain in Genesis 4.

Genesis 4:6-7 - Then the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? "If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it."

Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Just read the posts here on C-d...there are too many who HATE and use Jesus as the reason..
Yep they hate Jesus and those who support him.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I don't deny that but doesn't that actually mean they are not true christians then? Everything I've read about Jesus and his life would mean that a person that actively hates in a systematic way would mean they are not actually christian.
Yep, or at the best learning what a Christian is and not quite there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity