Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 09:40 PM

197 posts, read 86,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Are you sure you want honesty, or would you really prefer approval and acceptance of the homosexual act?
My position is simple. Being gay is my identity. Take it or leave it

If Christians really feel uncomfortable with my identity, I want to hear it. I will not argue or retaliate. I just need to know where they stand. They don't have to accept me. I still see them as civilized people. They may try to proselytize me anyway they wish. I don't care.

When Christians say "I respect you but I disapprove your lifestyle", that worries me. These people, in my experience, try to become friend with me just to pull me to their side. In my view, a friend doesn't tolerate me; a friend accepts me. People who try to be close to me with a hidden agenda are really insidious. I despise these Christians a lot more than honest fundamentalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:45 PM

197 posts, read 86,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Civilized, empathetic, educated, moral people want honest approval and acceptance of homosexuals.

And yeah, that would include acceptance of them following their hearts, minds, spirits and loins in matters of love.

Don't like it?

Don't care.

Yours is a dying breed. Fundamentalism is an evolutionary dead end.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
I think these people will never go away. On the plus side, my life is surrounded by a lot more people like you than people like fundamentalists. I feel very lucky, so I don't mind some provoking from these people. I am thick skinned enough to deal with their hate.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:22 PM

339 posts, read 194,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
I'm relieved to know that fundamentalist Christians don't love me. Their love scares me more than their hate if it actually exists.

In my opinion, "I hate your sin" is less offensive than "I love you but I disapprove your lifestyle". I want honesty, not sugar coating.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:33 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,920 times
Quote:
I think these people will never go away. On the plus side, my life is surrounded by a lot more people like you than people like fundamentalists. I feel very lucky, so I don't mind some provoking from these people. I am thick skinned enough to deal with their hate.
What I find to be sad is that you seem to equate disapproval with hate. I may disapprove of your lifestyle, but it's yours. Honestly, I used to be a hater. Not of any type of person specifically, just anybody who wasn't me. Once I began holding to the reformed/Calvinist doctrine, I learned more than I ever thought I knew. Colossians 1 clears up quite a bit. So I hope you don't mind, but you'll get no provoking or hate from me, but you won't get a thumbs on your lifestyle, either. And the cool part is, you shouldn't expect to. I don't expect a thumbs up from you, so we can at least agree on something.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:10 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Typical CD forum anti-Christian mud slinging. If you hear one person say such thing, then you come here and pretend all Christians agree.

Very dishonest, but it is sure to score some "amens" from the like-minded.
Typical ignorant comment. Somehow it's "anti-Christian" to point out where Christianity (and really, only certain Christianity) needs to improved. You call yourself a Christian, act like it.

Quote:
Luke 6:35

35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.
John 8:13

13 The Pharisees challenged him, "Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid."
Romans 12:9

9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.
Mark 12:31

31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."
Romans 13:10

10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
1 Corinthians 13:4-0

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
1 Corinthians 13:13

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Ephesians 4:2

2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
1 Peter 4:8

8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
1 John 4:7

7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
1 John 4:18-0

18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 19 We love because he first loved us.
John 15:13

13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
Ephesians 5:25

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
Ephesians 5:33

33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
Colossians 3:14

14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Proverbs 10:12

12 Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs.
If you're a Christian, act like it. These people you see as sinners... have they hurt you in any way? So why is it Christian to do harm to someone who has done nothing to you? Someone who is in pain every day, and can barely summon the courage to love themselves? I am your neighbor, laying by the roadside. You'd like to think you are the good samaritan, but as things stand, you are no christian but rather the people who attacked me. And yet, my job is to love. To hope for a world where the likes of you are part of Christians. It's not there yet, though.

http://feministelizabethan.blogspot....nequality.html

Quote:
When Christians say "I respect you but I disapprove your lifestyle", that worries me. These people, in my experience, try to become friend with me just to pull me to their side. In my view, a friend doesn't tolerate me; a friend accepts me. People who try to be close to me with a hidden agenda are really insidious. I despise these Christians a lot more than honest fundamentalists.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 11-06-2015 at 12:26 AM..

Old 11-06-2015, 03:09 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Jesus does not support “Hate the sin, love the sinner.” In fact, it flies in the face of everything Jesus said – like, love the sinner, period. Actually, he took away our permission to call people sinners and said, love your neighbor. Also, everyone is your neighbor. If we want to hate sin, it must be our own sin.

Let’s Be Honest… “Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner” is Really Just Hate

Gandhi does not even support “Hate the sin, love the sinner.” Gandhi, the one who said it, does not support it. Because here’s what he actually wrote (in his 1929 autobiography). “Hate the sin and not the sinner is a precept which though easy enough to understand is rarely practiced, and that is why the poison of hatred spreads in the world.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, Salt Lake City just elected its first openly lesbian mayor. Maybe that shows some baby steps towards non-discriminatory behavior among Christians.
Well, good for the voters of SLC!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:10 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, Salt Lake City just elected its first openly lesbian mayor. Maybe that shows some baby steps towards non-discriminatory behavior among Christians.
Well, maybe it is baby steps for people as individuals, but too bad your church just did this...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...l-they-are-18/

Old 11-06-2015, 10:24 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
My position is simple. Being gay is my identity. Take it or leave it.
As a Christian, I couldn't care less what your identify is. All that matters to me is how you treat other people. Your moral choices are between you and God (if you believe in Him), not between you and me.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:45 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Well, maybe it is baby steps for people as individuals, but too bad your church just did this...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...l-they-are-18/
You really do detest Mormons, don't you? When your post gets deleted on zthatszmanz's thread, you turn around and continue the rant elsewhere. Since you "couldn't wait to hear the Mormon excuses," allow me to oblige...

Churches have every right to set standards of conduct for their own members. I personally have no issues with same-sex marriage, but I support the right of the Church to exclude same-sex couples from membership. Just to clarify the church's stance...

When a baby is about a month old, he or she is typically "given a name and a blessing" during an LDS Sunday worship service. This assures that the child is added to the records of the LDS Church -- not as a baptized members, because that comes later -- but as an as yet unbaptized child. It would essentially be what some churches refer to as a "christening." As a part of this blessing there, is an inherent acknowledgement by the parents that they will raise their child by LDS standards, which would include the belief in the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman. A same-sex couple are hardly going to do this, so to perform this blessing would be a complete farce.

Mormons typically baptize their children at the age of eight. This new ruling actually safeguards the rights of the same-sex parents of a child who may, because their friends are all getting baptized, want to do the same. I know that if I were a lesbian, married to another woman and we had a child together, I would not want that child to be able, at the age of twelve or fourteen, to choose to be baptized and confirmed as a Mormon. I probably wouldn't want this to happen when the child was of age, either, but at some point, parents (whether straight or gay) no longer have the option to make choices for their child.

So, it's not "too bad [my] church just did this." It's a church and it has the right to expect certain things of its members. This is why I am so strongly in favor of a separation of church and state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity