Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:35 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
What if we modify your analogy and it is the executioner who becomes opposed to the death penalty. Does the executioner get to keep their job? I have no problem with them objecting, but the expectation that they could keep their job is unreasonable.
In the clerks example it wasn't her who changed, it was the law which suddenly changed and demanded her to do things which she believes would dishonor God. This is why I used the same example in the prison guard scenario.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is not about a single person. The pope's opinion applies to every person, be is a baker, prison guard, doctor, priest or clerk.
And when did the pope become part of the US government? Because we have anti-discrimination laws in every state, and federally. We also have rules and oaths of office for government employees.

If you take a job, and can no longer do that job because of your personal beliefs, then it is your responsibility to find another job, or work something out so that the job gets done, and that applies to the baker, prison guard, doctor, florist, and the county clerk. I don't care what the priest does, that is between him and the church.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And when did the pope become part of the US government? Because we have anti-discrimination laws in every state, and federally. We also have rules and oaths of office for government employees.

If you take a job, and can no longer do that job because of your personal beliefs, then it is your responsibility to find another job, or work something out so that the job gets done, and that applies to the baker, prison guard, doctor, florist, and the county clerk. I don't care what the priest does, that is between him and the church.
Did someone say he is a part of the US government? He gave his opinion from the Christian view point. He is the pope.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Frankie got this one wrong but no biggie.

I mean, it's not like he's infallible.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Frankie got this one wrong but no biggie.

I mean, it's not like he's infallible.
I see what you did there. Oh, sly one.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:38 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Those who are willing to make things work, usually find a way. If a prison guard has a problem putting death row inmates to death, then the prison manager might ask someone else. Posters here seem to think the only option is to fire guard on the spot, which is evidence of a mindset where you want to hurt people who do not agree with your views.
They don't just grab a guard that happens to be walking by and say "kill this person."

Old 09-28-2015, 05:42 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
He was speaking generally that people have the right to be COs. That has been happening for generations. They do have to pay the price for that right.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:28 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Your accusation is baseless, as I said nothing dishonest.

A job as a prison guard may not initially include the task of putting people to death, but when the State decides they will start executing people, it might become a part of the job description. However, a decent prison manager will not fire everyone who has a problem with such work, and instead will try to find someone who can do it. After all, you just need one or two people to perform such tasks. Same with signing marriage licenses for gays. It can be arranged that one person signs 99% of them, which are for straight marriages, and someone else signs the gay one.

The problem here is that people are so eager to attack her because of her beliefs, that they are not at all interested in finding other solutions to the problem. They are only interested in tearing her down.
No exception should ever be made for someone receiving tax money for a salary. Can we cut her pay based on the number of homosexuals in the state?

What if every single employee wants to practice her bigotry? Should the office no longer issue any licenses at all? That would at least be equal treatment?

If she can do that should nurses be able to refuse to treat HIV patients because God is punishing those sinners?

There is simply no reasonable accommodation to be made. If she wants a prayer closet--give her one. If she wants to wear a cross--wonderful. But if she wants to not sign marriage licenses for anybody at all then fire her butt since she lacks the moral fortitude to resign.

And since I chose to resign from a $100,000 per year job to take one making $10.50 per hour over a moral issue, I don't make that statement lightly. I have far more respect for the Colorado baker who has chosen to not bake wedding cakes rather than do something against his conscience. It hit him in the pocketbook since cakes were 40% of his income. But he is a witness for his belief rather than a millstone around the neck of both county and state like Ms. Davis.

Again it goes back to how Jesus taught us to handle what we consider onerous government laws.

If a man compel thee to go with him one mile, go with him twain.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
I guess this means the pope and Catholics can be added to the long list of "hateful, bigoted book worshipping Christian fundies".
No, it adds the Pope to the list of people who make bad decisions because of bigotry. Anyone can be a bigot on a particular position or subject. The teachings of the Cathlic Church on this subject have always been bigotted.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:32 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, it adds the Pope to the list of people who make bad decisions because of bigotry. Anyone can be a bigot on a particular position or subject. The teachings of the Cathlic Church on this subject have always been bigotted.
What teachings are you speaking of? Homosexuality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity