Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 03:28 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,928,011 times

Advertisements

Still not understanding this whole "religious authority" thing.

Why do some people put other people on a pedestal? (Not meaning that in a mean way, just a curious one.)
What I'm saying is, why do some folks think he has any authority?
Like he speaks for God or something?

Sure, the pope seems like a nice guy.
But he is no closer to God than I am.

I just have a hard time understanding religious systems, or whatever you want to call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 03:46 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Still not understanding this whole "religious authority" thing.
Why do some people put other people on a pedestal? (Not meaning that in a mean way, just a curious one.)
What I'm saying is, why do some folks think he has any authority?
Like he speaks for God or something?
Sure, the pope seems like a nice guy.
I just have a hard time understanding religious systems, or whatever you want to call it.
Jesus specifically denied ANY hierarchy among His followers, but true to human perversity and desire for power and importance, men instituted them. The RCC hierarchy has been the most evil and corrupt of the bunch throughout history, with only occasional Christ-like Popes, like John the 23rd and Francis.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
This position which Francis holds allows him to bring a message of love,hope, tolerance and charity to the world. Everything Christ stood for.

Maybe God really does work in mysterious ways as so much of Christianity believes.. But then I am a firm believer that God uses whom he chooses without regard of where that person "goes to church" or what position he holds there.

God sees, reads and knows hearts, not the religious doctrines of the world.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:14 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
This position which Francis holds allows him to bring a message of love,hope, tolerance and charity to the world. Everything Christ stood for.
Maybe God really does work in mysterious ways as so much of Christianity believes.. But then I am a firm believer that God uses whom he chooses without regard of where that person "goes to church" or what position he holds there.
Well said, Miss Blue! Pope Francis is a positive loving man. Many people have been brought to Christ and love even by swindlers and televangelist con men. God can indeed even draw straight lines with a crooked stick.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
On Friday, the Vatican’s press office reiterated that the meeting with Davis was not meant to be interpreted as an endorsement of her views, but rather a simple exchange of pleasantries between the Pope and a group of admirers, one of whom happened to be Davis. The Vatican also emphasized that the only one-on-one meeting that Pope Francis had during his time in Washington, D.C. was with Yayo Grassi, a gay man and former student of the Pope’s. But the Vatican appears to go one step further to make it clear that the Holy See in no way endorses Kim Davis’ bigotry.

Francis is MAD
When will you stop with the bigotry? Your anti-religious bigotry is getting old. Honestly. It gets old being told that we can't have a though-out response to an immoral behavior based on religious conscience.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:00 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

The voice of reason.
Thanks Miss Blue.
You put my thoughts back on the right track.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
When will you stop with the bigotry? Your anti-religious bigotry is getting old. Honestly. It gets old being told that we can't have a though-out response to an immoral behavior based on religious conscience.
What's bigoted about truth?

Your over-the-top, hysterical response has no relation to what you quoted.

Try to get more sleep, Pastor.

Maybe your conscience is beginning to nag...?

I think you're too intelligent to remain a fundamentalist. But you may be more stubborn than smart.

If you're young enough - based on posts you've made I picture you late 30s, early 40s, which is - I hope you're granted enough time to explore those nags and learn to discard that which is false. As you do so, you'll inevitably be closer to the truth.

And you may find there's plenty of room for belief in a God, even a Christian one.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I have an idea this Pope would tell you the same thing.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
The reports said he told her she must stand by her principals. When you think about this it means just that. Stand by them. It in no way has to indicate that there is no cost to doing that. Francis was sowing a message of sharing and tolerance, and she certainly wasn't. But she stood by her beliefs. The problem is its the national law that her beliefs are discrimitory, and while its true that she can believe whatever she wants, she does her job. If she doesn't choose to, then she can resign or find some other means to both fufill her belief and the law.

There is no way this meeting was going to be anything but political and as she made it public, making it a gottcha, won my point moment, it appears that someone else likely had the need to make one. The Archbishop couldn't have expected her to keep her mouth shut or he's a poor judge of people.

Just in case anyone thinks Francis isn't in charge of his own and what it said, I think he's made it quite clear. Good for him.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Traditionally religious bigotry is something like, "You can't join this club because you're a Jew." I had no idea the definition had been expanded to include Z-Man making posts with pictures depicting a loving Jesus or reiterating that Ms Davis is NOT endorsed by the Pope.

Wait! It hasn't! You just have ......unique....ideas about religious bigotry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity