Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 04:07 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,570,316 times

Advertisements

I find it funny that a lot of folks who will not believe 2,000 year old documents about people and events 2,000 years ago have no problem believing as fact mentioned by a person in 2010 that something magically grew out of the mud 100 million years ago, because, science. That itself is a religion requiring faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 04:10 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
I find it funny that a lot of folks who will not believe 2,000 year old documents about people and events 2,000 years ago have no problem believing as fact mentioned by a person in 2010 that something magically grew out of the mud 100 million years ago, because, science. That itself is a religion requiring faith.
Great post.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
What grew out of the mud? I think you should expand on that one because I've never heard ANYONE claim something (which you avoid naming) magically grew out of the mud. Was a wand involved? Alacazam!! Like that??

Maybe Vizio, who thinks that's a great post, can tell us more.

The people who claim man came from a dirt-product is.... wait for it..... the Bible believers. It's been a long time since I sat in a science class but even my hippie, leftist, intellectual professors, the people the fundies love to hate, never told me something magically grew out of the mud......so I'm anxious to hear more about this magic mud.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-28-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 04:30 PM

339 posts, read 195,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bo Pepys View Post
Which is my point (or one of them anyway). I truly do not believe that ANYONE with a functioning brain really believes this. I think it was Mark Twain who said something like "Faith is pretending to believe what you know ain't true." When it comes to YECs, I believe this shoe fits. Somehow the YECs have convinced themselves it is "faith" to pretend to believe what is OVERWHELMINGLY, BEYOND ANY SHADOW OF A DOUBT, not true. Rather than faith, it is a mockery of God's creation: God created a deceptive universe ("planting" phony red shifts and whatnot) and endowed us with eyes and brains we can't trust. Yeeesh. Not my idea of faith.
Not sure why you wouldn't address my response directly, unless you're worried about repercussions, but just because Mark Twain didn't understand faith, doesn't make his comments, if they indeed are his, any more credible than any atheist who refuses to accept Christian faith as valid. Your straw man is just far more combustible than others.
Your blind faith acceptance of so-called scientific facts, is even more untenable than you make out my Christian faith to be. That YOU or ANYONE do not have the faculties to understand creation doesn't make it untrue, just unfathomable, and to purport that anyone who has faith in a God that powerful cannot have an IQ over 100 is nothing more than atheistic snobbery, and something this particular sub forum sees a lot of. As God doesn't have to nor does He EXPLAIN His creation, man decides he will figure it out and has the audacity to presume he knows better than the Creator. This type of presumptuous and supercilious attitude is common in people who do not possess faith, despite the fact that they act in faith by accepting assertions that they have no inkling as to how they came about. Atheists who accept so-called scientific fact over the reality of God and His creation do indeed grasp at straws and makeup straw men fallacies. All straw will be burned up by God's refining fire.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The literal reading does not support YEC.

I guess that depends on what you understand literal to be, but IMO literal is 6 days just like the days we have TODAY.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bo Pepys View Post
You description of the alternatives is not correct. I accept, at least to a very large degree, the literal creation story in Genesis 1. You, like all YECs, insist on a particular interpretation of the literal creation story in Genesis 1, an interpretation that is not mandated by the text and is utterly at odds with everything God's creation tells us. The phrase "unproven scientific theory" might describe multiverses or even macroevolution, but it certainly does not describe the ages of the universe and the earth. The latter is no more an unproven scientific theory than my "theory" that my Ford is sitting in my garage. Literally every form of inquiry known to man indicates that the universe and the earth are billions of years old; there may be some margin for error, but 6,000 or 10,000 or even 1,000,000,000 years is not within that margin of error. Far from honoring God, the YEC position mocks Him.

and yet God Himself tells us in His written Word that He created IN THE BEGINING, and it took 6 literal days. Not quite sure how you get over your cognitive dissonance, in arguing against that?

The only mocking I see is the ones that call God's word lies or fabrication.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What grew out of the mud? I think you should expand on that one because I've never heard ANYONE claim something (which you avoid naming) magically grew out of the mud. Was a wand involved? Alacazam!! Like that??

Maybe Vizio, who thinks that's a great post, can tell us more.

The people who claim man came from a dirt-product is.... wait for it..... the Bible believers. It's been a long time since I sat in a science class but even my hippie, leftist, intellectual professors, the people the fundies love to hate, never told me something magically grew out of the mud......so I'm anxious to hear more about this magic mud.
Actually out of the dirty water is the basis for Macro Evolution. Water than onto land. You need to read the foundation of Evolutionary "progress" if you are not aware of that. ALL speculation too. Evolution has a vast number of fundies who ... well take someones word for the belief with absolutely no hard evidence at all.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJP View Post
I guess that depends on what you understand literal to be, but IMO literal is 6 days just like the days we have TODAY.
Literal is based on the words used. However the word "day" in Hebrew covers time from less than 24 hours to thousands of years if not more.

Next Genesis o1, if taken literally as to hours, gives a day only 12 hours. check Genesis 1 and see for example the second day's extent. Then realize that a Biblical day started at sundown and ended at sundown. Today's "day", midnight to midnight, is not the day in Genesis at all. Which of course is a second problem with a 24 hour day. It would encompass less than a Biblical day and parts of a modern day, so which is it, or is it like "In my father's 'day' ", which is not a fixed period of time at all, and a similar thought is in Genesis 2.

So literally a day could be 12 hours or a thousand years or more. In Genesis, it isn't 24 hours according to ... context. Thus the idea of literal eliminates a 24 hour day.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Actually out of the dirty water is the basis for Macro Evolution.
And the magic happens where? There was a claim magic was involved. Should be easy enough to back up a claim of ....something.... coming from mud which was....somewhere....doing.... something.... because of PRESTO! Magic!!

Dirty water and mud are two different things. Was it dirty water or mud? I'm thinking someone's story isn't straight. I'm going to be real disappointed if we find out magic wasn't involved. As I said.... my hippie, leftist professors didn't mention magic. I'd have noticed. Trust me on that one. Is that a fundie thing?

Old 10-28-2015, 05:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And the magic happens where? There was a claim magic was involved. Should be easy enough to back up a claim of ....something.... coming from mud which was....somewhere....doing.... something.... because of PRESTO! Magic!!

Dirty water and mud are two different things. Was it dirty water or mud? I'm thinking someone's story isn't straight. I'm going to be real disappointed if we find out magic wasn't involved. As I said.... my hippie, leftist professors didn't mention magic. I'd have noticed. Trust me on that one. Is that a fundie thing?
You do understand the concept of hyperbole, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity