Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 09:52 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,386,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What is your interpretation?
A true son of the soil plows the field of his own mind and heart. And the weeds are those corrupted thoughts, which are removed. It’s a delicate process, lest you also remove the good with the bad. Unfortunately, the majority have become fearful, so they let them grow up together, until the harvest!

I, for one, do not hold to a fearful expectation of falling into the hands of an angry or wrathful God?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 10:42 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,722,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Your venom for the truth and to those who repeat all of what God's Word teaches is not surprising nor unexpected .... those who hated Jesus also essentially said and held the same attitude toward him and we're told to expect such.

We do feel so sorry for you.
I revere Jesus, but you have many times on various threads stated how "sinful" the very kind of people He mingled with are. That is a characteristic that looks amazingly like triple sixes.

Your dissatisfied heart is never content with itself, God, nor other people.

P.S. I am a sinner--more so than you. That's why I am able to find gracious acceptance of everyone (except bible thumping Pharisees)---because He accepts me, and other sinners like me. It's the self-righteous bible-thumpers who are the only ones Jesus every spoke to harshly.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:46 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,722,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
A true son of the soil plows the field of his own mind and heart. And the weeds are those corrupted thoughts, which are removed. It’s a delicate process, lest you also remove the good with the bad. Unfortunately, the majority have become fearful, so they let them grow up together, until the harvest!

I, for one, do not hold to a fearful expectation of falling into the hands of an angry or wrathful God?

Amen!! (too soon etc., but )

A favorite sermon for fundamentalists is Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. For those who have found Christ in their hearts instead of stuck in the bible, it is Grace is the Difference.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:53 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,935,673 times
I have a great deal of reverence for the things God directed through out scriptures ,particularly those things Jesus is recorded to have spoken in the new testament .
Men's contributions do not circumvent God's word, and should not be included with the same weight. Especially that of modern men for that matter.
Jesus said men love darkness rather then light, because their deeds are evil. Even Peter vacillated where his influence came from .
Men choose distractions from their behavior because they are yet in rebellion, religious or not.
Some one expressing one aspect and ignoring the whole picture is no different than Satan's twist to the scriptures as well.
The ambiguity of "love alone" does not express the total responsibility of obedience, in a relationship with God though actually loving God is the point 'obedience to God in a relationship' is the expression of love, God is looking for..
Out side the tutelage of the Holy Spirit, one cannot know God's will. and you are picking texts God spoke to other men directly for your religion, you have no relationship.
In the Holy Spirit Jesus provided something the scriptures cannot provide , a promise made long before; Jeramiah 31;31,32,33, And the evidence fallowed long after Jesus left 1John 2;20, and even until today , the Holy Spirit teaches those things Jesus taught, and more.
Jesus said the world cannot receive the spirit ,it is exclusive with in Jesus believers only.
So to attempt to reason with a dead man is futile.
It would be simpler to explain physics to a hamster .
What takes faith and humility to begin the walk, is something those that love their sin are willing to give in to .
Though they will use excuses for the bad behavior of men misrepresenting God, men that have found the lord with out the assistance of others, are not looking for excuses, and God sees the honest heart, and rewards them.
And they have a relationship many of you are afraid of.
I say afraid, because many of you are not willing to find this obedience, and would rather hide behind philosophy and scriptures of men's guidance that please you.
If you believe in God why are you afraid of Him ?
God will test my faith ,but he has never taken me into something with out preparing the way . I know He loves me.
I believe I understand Jesus walk better now than ever , He being God had nothing to be afraid of but confidence in what He was doing every step of the way.
Let me illustrate.
As an observer one can look at the game of foot ball and shutter in fear, for the impact they observe during the game.
One of the hurtles in actually playing foot ball, is gaining confidence in the padding and equipment, so that one can run with some what reckless abandoned and not get hurt badly.
( Of course it happens but it would be far worse with out the padding . the draw back to safety gear is over confidence).
But once you learn what you are capable of with a margin of protection, the fear is some what diminished .
God knows what I am capable of, an where I will fail, but in that failure choose to improve.
I take no pleasure in failure, because the value of success is important to others, even if they are unaware of my part .
Though I do not manipulate God, I cooperate with Him, my confidence grows as well, and unusual directives are not such a challenge any more.
The word cannot fathom this confidence and never will ,and even though some Christians admire it, they remain afraid of stepping out on the water, as it were.
But God does not ask that right off the bat.
But it starts with choosing to need His intervention, an direction and realizing ones need for this relationship.
Truly repenting of self govern, and choosing after God's govern .
It infilling of the Holy Spirit and the signs fallowing are a start.
Not a one time thing, but an every day thing, till it becomes as natural as breathing. "Praying always" Letting Jesus Lordship be realized in your life.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,247,510 times
But Jesus said "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:16 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,807,765 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstand this passage. Jesus said the tares (evil ones) will be pulled up (in the last days), and tossed into the fire.

37 Jesus answered, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man. 38 The field is the world, and the good seed is the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are angels. 40 Just as the weeds are gathered and burned with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and rall law-breakers, 42 and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun vin the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.
Hmmm... Let's see how Jesus' words (in color) compare to yours. It seems we have a disagreement as to who/what are the weeds/tares.

Quote:

Old 12-12-2015, 05:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,386,975 times
Quote:
It seems we have a disagreement as to who/what are the weeds/tares.
Apparently, you do not have the ears to hear.
Or, the eye of understanding?

Old 12-12-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Apparently, you do not have the ears to hear.
Or, the eye of understanding?

Haha! Apparently, you are denying the obvious. Everyone who reads that passage knows what Jesus was referring to. You know too. You just won't admit it.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:23 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,407,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Those who think God is the vengeful, wrathful being portrayed in much of the OT need to feel saved from that supposed aspect of God. If you think that God required a blood sacrifice in order to be able to forgive you, then it will be comforting for you to believe that Jesus died as a sacrifice to save you from God's wrath.

If that's what it takes for someone to experience the notion that God loves them, then in some regards, I'd be tempted to let it go. However, one would hope that at some point they would have experienced LOVE to the degree that they would grow beyond those beliefs which so obviously stand in contradiction to it. Many do not, sadly, and those same people insist on spreading their fear of God to everyone else, assuring them that God cannot forgive them apart from buying into their own fearful "penal substitution" beliefs.
Quote:
What is your basis for dismissing Christ's blood sacrifice?
Jimmie, I reiterate ... the idea that a God who is love required a blood sacrifice in order to be able to forgive stands in direct contradiction to what love IS. That is my basis for dismissing such a perverse doctrine.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Jimmie, I reiterate ... the idea that a God who is love required a blood sacrifice in order to be able to forgive stands in direct contradiction to what love IS. That is my basis for dismissing such a perverse doctrine.
Do you think this matches what Jesus said?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity