Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 04:21 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You have first things SECOND. Loving people is FIRST--and it is the ONLY way to keep the first greatest commandment. Period. Without exception. Undiluted by religiosity or churchianity.
Thanks for sharing your personal opinion on matter. Unfortunately your view is legalistic, it is the view of the Pharisee who seeked to earn Gods favor by their own works.

Again, did the thief on the cross earn God's favor by "mastering" something of his own? No, he did not.

Love God, and everything else follows. It gives birth to natural desire to love your neighbor.

Feel free to disagree.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-03-2016 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 04:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks for sharing your personal opinion on matter. Unfortunately your view is legalistic, it is the view of the Pharisee who seeked to earn Gods favor by their own works.

Love God, and everything else follows. It gives birth to natural desire to love your neighbor.

Feel free to disagree.
When you naturally love someone or something, everything else follows.
And you do not have to force it by reading your Bible, or going to Church.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:50 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To refresh your memory, Finn. (BTW ALL the references to love use the word AGAPE)

1 John 3:11 (King James Version)
11For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

Colossians 3:12-14New International Version (NIV)
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Matthew 22:37-40 King James Version (KJV)
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Hebrews 10:24 (King James Version)
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)
7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

John 17:3 (King James Version)
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

1 John 4:11-12 (King James V
[/b]ersion)
11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12No man hath seen God at any time. [b]If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1 John 4:16-21 (King James Version)
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
19 We love him, because he first loved us.
20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

John 13:34 (King James Version)
34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 15:9-10 (King James Version)
9As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:12 (King James Version)
12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15:17 (King James Version)
17These things I command you, that ye love one another.

1 John 3:23 (King James Version)
23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Romans 13:8-10King James Version (KJV)
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Quote:
I see it is convenient to quote the Bible again, as opposed to claiming it is nothing but ravings of savage idiots.
You are the one who keeps saying I think the Bible is NOTHING BUT the "ravings of savage idiots." You refuse to test anything in the Bible against the ONLY Spirit that matters -- God -- who IS agape love. I wouldn't quote it if I thought it was NOTHING BUT the savage ravings. What is savage and barbaric is the CONTEXT under which you interpret the Bible, Finn. The context of a wrathful God who needed to be appeased by blood sacrifice is PRIMITIVE AND BARBARIC nonsense. It is completely contradictory to a God who IS agape love, But you ignore such contradictions.
Quote:
No one said you should not love your neighbor. Loving you neighbor is the 2nd of the two great commandments, but none of your quotes say there is something more important than putting God first.
What you don't seem to get is that you are NOT putting God first if you EVER violate the second commandment.

8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Quote:
So, you disagree with my view which says "Love God, and everything else follows". Is that it?
Of course not! You just do NOT know how to put God first. You do it by producing the state of mind that is called the Spirit of agape love toward everyone. When you produce that state of mind, you literally are "born of God" and know God.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:

Again, did the thief on the cross earn God's favor by "mastering" something of his own? No, he did not.

Feel free to disagree.
The bible DISAGREES with you...

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

----------------------------1 John 4:20

oh wait, YOU do not believe that BROTHER/SISTER are the same as NEIGHBOR?

Yet Jesus said NEIGHBOR in place of BROTHER / SISTER didn't he.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:

Feel free to disagree.
I do.

(Quelle surprise!)

Warden is correct.

You - as nearly always so far as I have seen - continue to be in error and require reproving and correcting.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:03 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,958,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
From the Gospel according to our dear brother Mark:

29. Jesus answered, The first is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God, the Lord is one: 30. and thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength. 31. The second is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
Under the Constitution of the Mosaic Law was to love God and neighbor as self.
Jesus gave his followers a NEW commandment superior to the Mosaic Law recorded at John 13:34-35
His followers were to have self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus did.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
When you naturally love someone or something, everything else follows.
And you do not have to force it by reading your Bible, or going to Church.
No one said anything about bible and church. The only thing which was mentioned was the 1st great commandment of Jesus Christ.

‘“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.

2nd commandment is to love your neighbor. He mentioned both, because both are important, and he mentioned them in that order, because that is how he prioritized them. Love for God brings the natural desire to love your neighbor.

I see an effort here to play God out of the picture, which is consistent with other comments made by the same posters.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-03-2016 at 06:42 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The bible DISAGREES with you...

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

----------------------------1 John 4:20.
No, the Bible does not disagree with me. Like I have repeated here several times, both commandments are important. You seem to think that if you love God, then that somehow means you can't love your neighbor. I said if you love God, everything else follows. The two go hand in hand.

Jesus called loving God "the great and first commandment".

Why do you insist otherwise?

Quote:
oh wait, YOU do not believe that BROTHER/SISTER are the same as NEIGHBOR?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-03-2016 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 06:34 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
You are the one who keeps saying I think the Bible is NOTHING BUT the "ravings of savage idiots." You refuse to test anything in the Bible against the ONLY Spirit that matters -- God -- who IS agape love. I wouldn't quote it if I thought it was NOTHING BUT the savage ravings. What is savage and barbaric is the CONTEXT under which you interpret the Bible, Finn. The context of a wrathful God who needed to be appeased by blood sacrifice is PRIMITIVE AND BARBARIC nonsense. It is completely contradictory to a God who IS agape love, But you ignore such contradictions.
What you don't seem to get is that you are NOT putting God first if you EVER violate the second commandment.

Of course not! You just do NOT know how to put God first. You do it by producing the state of mind that is called the Spirit of agape love toward everyone. When you produce that state of mind, you literally are "born of God" and know God.

Quote:
No one said anything about bible and church. The only thing which was mentioned was the 1st great commandment of Jesus Christ.
‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment".
2nd commandment is to love your neighbor. He mentioned both, because both are important, and he mentioned them in that order, because that is how he prioritized them.
I see an effort here to play God out of the picture, which is consistent with other comments made by the same posters.
No, Finn. It is what you THINK putting God first means that is the problem. You THINK that whatever is in the Bible (without testing its Spirit) is what you have to follow to love God even if it discriminates against, or harms or hurts or disadvantages others who do not see things the way that you do. But there is NO TIME when God wants you to discriminate against, or harm, or hurt or otherwise disadvantage ANYONE ELSE in His name!!!! THAT is why that kind of blind following of words "written in ink" is NOT putting God first. It is an epic fail!!!

Old 01-03-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
No, Finn. It is what you THINK putting God first means that is the problem. You THINK that whatever is in the Bible (without testing its Spirit) is what you have to follow to love God even if it discriminates against, or harms or hurts or disadvantages others who do not see things the way that you do. But there is NO TIME when God wants you to discriminate against, or harm, or hurt or otherwise disadvantage ANYONE ELSE in His name!!!! THAT is why that kind of blind following of words "written in ink" is NOT putting God first. It is an epic fail!!!
LOL

Here we go again. Mystic trying to declare what other posters believe

Tomorrow he will revert back to insisting he has no idea what I believe

I am not the topic. Why do you always make everything about other posters, and why do you always misrepresent their views?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity