Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:59 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times

Advertisements

As Cass sees it, one of the “basic biblical qualifications” for those seeking office is that they must be Christian. Since a candidate’s faith “will profoundly shape his leadership,” our leaders must be people who are “alive spiritually and will lead in the fear of God.” He recalled a quote from John Jay–one frequently used by the religious right.

Religious Right Leader: Only Christian Men Are Qualified For Office (WITH VIDEO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:22 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
I can remember when an atheist president would be out of the question, even Jimmy Carter was born again. I would much rather have a "Christian nut job" as president than a crook, womanizer or ******* SJW.

Phil Robertson endorses Ted Cruz.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:18 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I can remember when an atheist president would be out of the question, even Jimmy Carter was born again. I would much rather have a "Christian nut job" as president than a crook, womanizer or ******* SJW.

"*******"? My that sounds so classy. And so Christian! Insult people who have disabilities at the same time as you insult people who believe differential from you.

We were founded as a nation that escaped the tyranny of institutionalized religion. Are you aware of the concept of "Separation of Church and State"?

Or does that not matter to you?

Pres. Carter, came from a Southern Baptist background. He has since left the SBC because of their stance on women in the clergy. I am sure there were many other reasons. He is an admirable human being and a devout Christian.

If you are looking for crooks, look no further than Pres. Nixon, or Reagan who dealt in arms.
I won't even begin to discuss the war that should have never happened - George Bush's lie concerning "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq. That crook is responsible for thousands of deaths.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:21 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
You cannot make men forsake Jesus to take an office for an elected office , separation of church and state or not , and it would be criminal to make people reject God or that ...... See Jesus spirit abides of His people and He will not go unless people fall into sin ... So if man are forced to forsake Jesus spirit that it would a sin to take the elected office

Old 01-25-2016, 03:24 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post

YEAH...

Josh Duggar is getting some support from a Duck Dynasty star who recently shared his own sexual molestation story. However, Jep Robertson wasn’t in the same position as Josh — he was the young child being sexually abused, not the teen boy doing the abusing.

Read more at Josh Duggar Gets Advice From Sexually Molested ‘Duck Dynasty’ Star: Jep Robertson Shares His Story

A video has surfaced of Phil giving a speech in Georgia back in 2009 at the Sportsmen’s Ministry. In the video Phil states, “Look, you wait ‘til they get to be twenty years-old and the only picking that’s going to take place is your pocket. You got to marry these girls when they’re about fifteen or sixteen and they’ll pick your ducks.”

And teh fundies are in an up roar over a few teenage Muslim brides?

Old 01-25-2016, 03:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
As Cass sees it, one of the “basic biblical qualifications” for those seeking office is that they must be Christian. Since a candidate’s faith “will profoundly shape his leadership,” our leaders must be people who are “alive spiritually and will lead in the fear of God.” He recalled a quote from John Jay–one frequently used by the religious right.

Religious Right Leader: Only Christian Men Are Qualified For Office (WITH VIDEO)
Who cares about "biblical requirements"? The constitution is perfectly plain - no religious test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust. (Article VI)

This nut job can offer whatever nonsense he pleases. It's just so much hot air. A person who swallows this is, IMO, deeply un-American.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:55 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,972,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
When the people wanted to have Jesus in political office ( king ) Jesus' declined - John 6:15
Jesus and his 1st-century followers remained neutral in the political affairs of the world. - John 17: 14-16
They did Not even get involved in the issues of the day between the Jews and the Romans.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Who cares about "biblical requirements"? The constitution is perfectly plain - no religious test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust. (Article VI)

This nut job can offer whatever nonsense he pleases. It's just so much hot air. A person who swallows this is, IMO, deeply un-American.
I'm amazed that people don't read the Constitution. You'd think they'd retain some of it from 8th grade civics.

But here's the larger point I'd like to make. Christianity is, at its core, a subversive faith. It stands for all the values that are kind of alien to a secular society. Denial of consumerism and materialism. Non-violence. Love instead of revenge. And a host of other traits that are at odds at society in either Augustan Rome or in the modern-day United States.

So I tend to become very suspicious when people want more Christianity in government. Which branch of Christianity? What theological points come to the forefront? What strictures have the force of law? I mean, 90 years ago, Fundamentalist loons completely ignored a large number of passages of scripture about the positive enjoyment of wine and gave Prohibition the force of law. Didn't we learn anything from that episode of American history?

After all, most of the countries of Europe still have official state religions. In countries such as Germany, Finland, Sweden, Italy, Spain, et al, the government collects a church tax from registered members of those faiths. Yet their cathedrals are empty.

What I'm arguing then is that when Christianity becomes the establishment faith, Christianity suffers in the process. Perhaps we shouldn't be too reliant on the corrupting power of government to build Christ's kingdom on earth.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:25 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,972,615 times
Only Jesus - Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:11,15 - can build Christ's kingdom on earth - 1st Cor. 15:24
The words from Jesus' mouth will execute the wicked, thus leaving Jesus to usher in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:54 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Only Christians who have read the Bible cover-to-cover. That automatically excludes about 99.9% of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity