Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:23 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,144,346 times

Advertisements

Some Christians pick and choose what parts of the bible they will decide to take literally and what parts they will not. Are only parts of the Bible inspired?

When the creation account in Genesis describes the Moon being a light source of its own and not "reflecting light" as the world teaches.

Would it be so hard for God to inspire the writer to write " the lesser light reflects the greater light"

In Genesis people are living to be almost 1000 years old.

Book of Joshua describing the Sun and the Moon standing still. (not the earth, if earth that we are told is rotating 1000 miles per hour was to suddenly stop, what would happen to the earth?)

Would it be so hard for God to inspire the writer to say the earth stood still ?

The creation of the life on earth being about 6000 years ago and more...etc.

If we as Christians believe that Satan is real and has deceived the whole world and is in control of this planet, why would it be so hard to believe that he is not controlling all of the important information that is put out to the masses, especially information that would cause people to doubt the Bible?

By what authority do Christians have the right to choose not to believe some parts and believe others?

If someone says, I do not believe in a literal creation account nor Adam and eve, or perhaps some of the other above issue I mentioned, but then say I believe that Jesus is the Son of God and he did many miracles and was raised from the dead. By what reason? Because with that logic, a Christian can chose to just believe what ever he or she wants from the bible and no other Christian can say anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 02:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
I believe in the inerrant Word of God.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:59 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Some Christians pick and choose what parts of the bible they will decide to take literally and what parts they will not. Are only parts of the Bible inspired?

When the creation account in Genesis describes the Moon being a light source of its own and not "reflecting light" as the world teaches.

Would it be so hard for God to inspire the writer to write " the lesser light reflects the greater light"

Book of Joshua describing the Sun and the Moon standing still. (not the earth, if earth that we are told is rotating 1000 miles per hour was to suddenly stop, what would happen to the earth?)

Would it be so hard for God to inspire the writer to say the earth stood still ?

If we as Christians believe that Satan is real and has deceived the whole world and is in control of this planet, why would it be so hard to believe that he is not controlling all of the important information that is put out to the masses, especially information that would cause people to doubt the Bible?

By what authority do Christians have the right to choose not to believe some parts and believe others?

If someone says, I do not believe in a literal creation account nor Adam and eve, or perhaps some of the other above issue I mentioned, but then say I believe that Jesus is the Son of God and he did many miracles and was raised from the dead. By what reason? Because with that logic, a Christian can chose to just believe what ever he or she wants from the bible and no other Christian can say anything about it.
This strawman again?? Inspirations in the Bible does NOT require inerrancy or infallibility because humans are fallible and they interpreted the inspirations using their knowledge and understanding of the world (which was primitive and barbaric). To pretend that this, therefore, removes any and all truth from the Bible is just silly. We are quite capable of reason and logic and have significantly more knowledge accumulated over the 2000+ years since the Bible was recorded. As Christians, we can extract the truth about God that Jesus revealed and use it to test the truth of anything in the Bible. We do not have to rely on whatever we want to believe.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:04 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,984 times
I know the truth of Jesus. He loved women and children. He never said a thing against LGBTQ. He never expected women to submit.

He died a tortured, screaming death, crucified by Rome, aided and abetted by the Temple priests: who were hand picked by Rome. I believe Jesus was very charismatic man who changed the world, and his death has little to do with it.

Paul's arrogance, misogyny, anger and rage are very clear. None of Paul represents God. Paul represents Paul.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:05 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
For God I believe that He prefer that people do not have a fight over the history of God interaction with man , as If is best that people are in peace , Also that Jesus is more concerned that people believe the parts that get people saved to Jesus, where being the greater critic of Jesus will be a grave error .... He also prefer that His children have faith in Jesus promises of His Word, so this will bring stabilities and blessing which will benefit the soul ...... Then satan and his fallen angels and demons are a threat which many do not see and these spirit will blind people from seeing the truth of God .........Then Adam and Eve are Gods plan to have man as His family , so dwelling of the seven solar day creation will miss this important part , that Adam was something of Jesus but Adam failed and Jesus did not

Old 02-08-2016, 03:13 PM

741 posts, read 444,902 times
Quote:

Well, they have the right to not believe because they have freewill, but just because they don't believe doesn't give them the right to say something in the Bible is not true. I believe every word in the Bible is exactly what it supposed to be. If something seems wrong in the Bible then we humans are at fault and not God's Word. We shouldn't think of ourselves as mightier than the author of the Bible. Much like we all must comply with the laws of physics in our universe, the Bible's laws and commandments carry the same weight. We risk serious consequences if we don't respect those laws.

Belief doesn't equal truth. I can believe the there is no gravity. The truth will reveal itself if I were to attempt to jump off a cliff. Thus I don't think it's a good idea to put God to the test when God tells us to do something in the Bible.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This strawman again?? Inspirations in the Bible does NOT require inerrancy or infallibility because humans are fallible and they interpreted the inspirations using their knowledge and understanding of the world (which was primitive and barbaric). To pretend that this, therefore, removes any and all truth from the Bible is just silly. We are quite capable of reason and logic and have significantly more knowledge accumulated over the 2000+ years since the Bible was recorded. As Christians, we can extract the truth about God that Jesus revealed and use it to test the truth of anything in the Bible. We do not have to rely on whatever we want to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
Well, they have the right to not believe because they have freewill, but just because they don't believe doesn't give them the right to say something in the Bible is not true. I believe every word in the Bible is exactly what it supposed to be. If something seems wrong in the Bible then we humans are at fault and not God's Word. We shouldn't think of ourselves as mightier than the author of the Bible. Much like we are all must comply with the laws of physics in our universe, the Bible's laws and commandments carry the same weight. We risk serious consequences if we don't respect those laws.
Belief doesn't equal truth. I can believe the there is no gravity. The truth will reveal itself if I attempt to jump off a cliff.
Your unwarranted faith in the Bible is misplaced. It should be faith in Christ as the Word of God, NOT the Bible. God is NOT the author of the Bible, men are and men are fallible and flawed. When you elevate the work of men to the status of God you blaspheme God.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:25 PM

741 posts, read 444,902 times
Quote:
Your unwarranted faith in the Bible is misplaced. It should be faith in Christ as the Word of God, NOT the Bible. God is NOT the author of the Bible, men are and men are fallible and flawed. When you elevate the work of men to the status of God you blaspheme God.
That is a belief and just because you believe that doesn't make it true. That is why we have a 3rd voice...the Bible to set matters straight.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
That is a belief and just because you believe that doesn't make it true. That is why we have a 3rd voice...the Bible to set matters straight.
No, the Bible is not how we know the truth. Jesus is and He abides with us as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" NOT "written in ink" in the Bible. Jesus is the Truth, the Life and the Way, NOT the Bible.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:18 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:

Saan, yes the entire Bible is inspired. However, just to address one thing that you said, the Bible does not say that the moon is its own light source. Genesis 1:16 merely says with reference to the moon, that it is the lesser light to govern the night. There is no need to take that as meaning that the moon is its own light source or that it creates its own light.

If the moon created its own light there would be no phases of the moon, including a new moon when the moon is not visible from the surface of the earth at all. When the moon moves into a position in its orbit around the earth in which the light of the sun cannot reflect off the face of the moon (the side of the moon which always faces the earth; the same side of the moon always faces the earth), the moon is not visible.

The following diagram shows the various positions of the moon in its orbit around the earth and the resulting phases of the moon as seen from earth.

diagram of a new moon - Bing images

The reason that the 'world' teaches that the moon reflects the light of the sun is because it does.

Last edited by Michael Way; 02-08-2016 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity