Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:55 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times

Advertisements

I've not been faithful about tithing, sorry to say, over the past few years. I did really well for a while and reaped the rewards. I did better last year, but not really what I should have done.

So last week I went to get my taxes done. The lady doing them compared my return from 2014 to my 2015. She did a double take and thought she'd done something wrong when she noticed the difference in my charitable contributions. I told her it was way less than it should have been.

She tried to say it's very difficult and giving of my time...yadda yadda.... I did mention that it was the only thing in the Bible God says to test him on and I've gotten many blessings from being faithful in the past.

But here's what I wanted to share: She said she prepares 250 returns a year and only ONCE has she seen anyone tithe like the Bible commands. And that was a minister.

That surprised me! I think in the South people must be more faithful about giving. AND if you belong to a solid church, you know exactly where your tithes go. The budget should be published and available to all members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 03:35 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I've not been faithful about tithing, sorry to say, over the past few years. I did really well for a while and reaped the rewards. I did better last year, but not really what I should have done.

So last week I went to get my taxes done. The lady doing them compared my return from 2014 to my 2015. She did a double take and thought she'd done something wrong when she noticed the difference in my charitable contributions. I told her it was way less than it should have been.

She tried to say it's very difficult and giving of my time...yadda yadda.... I did mention that it was the only thing in the Bible God says to test him on and I've gotten many blessings from being faithful in the past.

But here's what I wanted to share: She said she prepares 250 returns a year and only ONCE has she seen anyone tithe like the Bible commands. And that was a minister.

That surprised me! I think in the South people must be more faithful about giving. AND if you belong to a solid church, you know exactly where your tithes go. The budget should be published and available to all members.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no where anywhere in the bible that says you are supposed to tithe 10% of you income since tithe is and has always been food.

That is why we give offerings. The bible says we cant change any command of God and to say the biblical tithe is now money instead of food is changing a command of God. They only tithed on food (livestock and crops); they had money back then (i.e. "income"), but the tithes did not apply to that... When they tithed back then, The food went to the Levites, Priests, and needy people - none of whom had land of their own by which they could feed themselves. Tithes were not required of everyone - only those who raised livestock or grew crops. For example, carpenters weren't required to tithe, nor were the Priests and needy people

Best way to put it is, there is no where in the New Testament that says we must tithe 10% of our income , but if you want to give and are not sure, 10% is a good starting point. If you barely have enough to live on it is not the same as someone who has all their needs met and can easily give. So do not become overwhelmed with guilt by men who bring fear of judgment to you. You are only robbing God when you can give and choose to give nothing at all and there are many believers who give next to nothing.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:48 PM

EXACTLY!
(except the whole bad news thing and guilt of men thing - not really getting that)

Old 02-08-2016, 04:07 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
She obviously doesn't live in Utah.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
We know exactly where our donations go, our budget is published monthly in the bulletin that is available at every mass to all members who choose to take a bulletin, we do not live in the South and never have, it was inappropriate for the tax woman to talk about anyone else even if she was not specific with names, address, etc and we never deduct our donations off of our taxes because we feel it is not a donation if we get credit for it on our taxes..........

*Our tax person has no idea if we donate or not let alone how much since it is an actual donation*

Old 02-08-2016, 05:12 PM

I can sort of see your point but I will take any deduction I can. I don't tithe for the deduction. I do tithe on gross. And now I'm thinking about "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's. Give to God what is God's." So I tithe on gross but... oh well. Not going to feel bad about paying less taxes.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:49 PM

86 posts, read 56,379 times
Not only was tithing not money (EVER), it was never for everyone. Today it is for no one and it was never for the Gentiles so if you are a Christian and you think you can tithe you are wasting your time and money. Or more than likely you are being lied to and scammed out of your money.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:51 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
I can sort of see your point but I will take any deduction I can. I don't tithe for the deduction. I do tithe on gross. And now I'm thinking about "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's. Give to God what is God's." So I tithe on gross but... oh well. Not going to feel bad about paying less taxes.
"Give to Ceasar what is Caesar's"

Was it actually Caesar's...?

What point was he trying to make?

Not debating.
Just putting that out there.
Not everything is as it seems at first glance.
And this is something that I wonder about.

Some things may seem righteous on the outside, but the inside is filthy.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:06 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Congrats on your decision. I lot of people will disagree with it, but I have had the same results by paying a full tithe, too.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:54 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,873 times
OP, and anyone else for that matter, I would highly recommend reading the following. It liberated me over the whole tithing issue.

http://www.tithingdebate.com/eatings...wsdownload.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity