Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 07:44 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,001 times

Advertisements

As a former Catholic I have lost contact after 35 years with Catholics and Lutherns I still consider my
christian brothers and sisters. They believe as I do in the Son of Man ,His grace by faith ,but that's where the relationship dewindles via dogmas and religousity I found short circuited. I have gotten wondered if they watch and listen to Sid Roth and Jonathan Bernis messianics) or whether they have a clue what a messianic is? Do they follow Jonathan Cahn, William Forstchen, Joel Richardson, Carl Gallops, William Koenig, Jim Bakker, Beth Moore, Joel Olsteen, CTN ,TBN and Daystar . When I reflect on what priests ,nuns and ministers miss it saddens me . I see them wallowing in religion with a limited scope both scripturally and even growth. In fairness I watch EWTN as it provides good food as well. Are Catholics ,Lutherns and Methodists left out in religousity la la land? answer: to some degree yes and it's tragic and just odd.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 06:13 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,830 times
Not too many Catholics watch the people that you mentioned because they are Protestants.
If they watch religious TV programming, it will most likely be EWTN.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:20 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
As a former Catholic I have lost contact after 35 years with Catholics and Lutherns I still consider my
christian brothers and sisters. They believe as I do in the Son of Man ,His grace by faith ,but that's where the relationship dewindles via dogmas and religousity I found short circuited. I have gotten wondered if they watch and listen to Sid Roth and Jonathan Bernis messianics) or whether they have a clue what a messianic is? Do they follow Jonathan Cahn, William Forstchen, Joel Richardson, Carl Gallops, William Koenig, Jim Bakker, Beth Moore, Joel Olsteen, CTN ,TBN and Daystar . When I reflect on what priests ,nuns and ministers miss it saddens me . I see them wallowing in religion with a limited scope both scripturally and even growth. In fairness I watch EWTN as it provides good food as well. Are Catholics ,Lutherns and Methodists left out in religousity la la land? answer: to some degree yes and it's tragic and just odd.
As a young Catholic man in my teens I had a terrible mistrust of any preacher I saw on tv. My Lutheran in-laws though, used to be quite enamored with Benny Hinn.

Having said that, I don't know that they'd gain anything but watching any of the characters you listed. A few of them I'm not familiar with, but most of them are shysters.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:27 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Not too many Catholics watch the people that you mentioned because they are Protestants.
If they watch religious TV programming, it will most likely be EWTN.

I watch some of them, sometimes; I don't 'categorize' pastors on television like that. Whoever speaks to me is gratefully received.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:46 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Haven't heard of many of them. I saw Baker some but won't listen to him anymore. I have seen Olsteen but consider him more of a motivational speaker then a minister. I've watched TBN but if that is Pat Robertson I don't watch him anymore since he is always talking about end times.

I would have to ask you if you watch EWTN, listen to Catholic radio and go to Catholic Answers Or watch any of it on youtube?

Of course, I don't agree with you on feeling sorry. I feel sorry for you since you stopped going to the Church that has the fullness of truth. Go to "Coming Home" program on EWTN and listen to all the Protestant ministers who came to that conclusion and converted to the Catholic Church.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 PM

Good feedback from fellow Christians whether -denominational or not ...God Bless and thanks for great responses!!! As an evangelical with messianic ties I never even knew I was Protestant lol . What a lame
brain!!! Just never knew evangelical Christians were Protestant...So weird. My wife and I must be odd as we not only watch these folks ( and its only a partial list, we record the shows or watch them over via
archives on you tube. They are a major part of our christian walk. Many are focused on prophecy and
end-times not really a point of emphasis from the pulpit as many ministries are not versed nor have that in their presentation. We are metro prepper which has influenced our walk. At any rate we find it to be a common response from most religions that TV evangelism is unattractive to them and that's what freedom allows praise God. Seek whatever food you find acceptable we found ours. As an alternative seek group bible studies as the two areas TV /study are similar in outcome ( knowledge).

Last edited by openmike; 03-25-2016 at 10:39 PM..

Old 03-26-2016, 12:47 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Good feedback from fellow Christians whether -denominational or not ...God Bless and thanks for great responses!!! As an evangelical with messianic ties I never even knew I was Protestant lol . What a lame
brain!!! Just never knew evangelical Christians were Protestant...So weird. My wife and I must be odd as we not only watch these folks ( and its only a partial list, we record the shows or watch them over via
archives on you tube. They are a major part of our christian walk. Many are focused on prophecy and
end-times not really a point of emphasis from the pulpit as many ministries are not versed nor have that in their presentation. We are metro prepper which has influenced our walk. At any rate we find it to be a common response from most religions that TV evangelism is unattractive to them and that's what freedom allows praise God. Seek whatever food you find acceptable we found ours. As an alternative seek group bible studies as the two areas TV /study are similar in outcome ( knowledge).
May I ask what a metro prepper is? I have never heard the term.

Correction on the program I recommended, it's called "The Journey Home" and it has people on who either came back to the Church or converted to it from either atheism or other faiths.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:49 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,390 times
Mike, just in case you're still checking on this. yes, some Catholics will listen to various evangelists and no doubt at times they will find something edifying there for their lives as Christians----even as you will apparently sometimes listen to ETWN and hopefully find something there to nourish you.

believe it or not, Catholics are no different from other Christians---outside formal worship on the weekend where they are nourished by God's word and sacraments, throughout the rest of the week they try to grow in their faith in a variety of ways: prayer, meditation, bible reading (yes, we even do that, LOL), fellowship with other believers, and (most especially) "works" of charity and mercy to our brothers and sisters whoever they are and wherever they are--trying with God's help "to do all things for the glory of God". whatever knowledge and grace they may receive through the ministry and sacraments of the Church, they are charged to take out into the world and in such ways as they can use them for their own salvation (always being aware of their constant need for God's mercy and forgiveness for their faults) and the salvation of the world in Christ through the Holy Spirit.

IOW, you might say Catholics in their most often humble and fumbling ways try to be "evangelists" or as Paul puts it in 2 Corinthians 5:20, "ambassadors for Christ"---just like any other Christian.

pretty much just like I imagine you are also doing in your own not that different ways and for the very same reasons.

may God bless you and me (and all who try to live the Christian faith and life in their various ways) and keep us always "brothers and sisters in Christ".

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-26-2016 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-26-2016, 04:43 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
speaking for myself and many that I know of: non of the listed.

The one that I do know of is Pastor Mark Jeske \ Time of Grace.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:06 PM

My take is there is a reason why Baptists, Catholics,Lutherns and most organized religious faiths are left out of the loop of end-times ,but since I cannot wrp my mind or fathom their mindsets I'm resigning it all up to Holy Spirit enlightenment as these faiths as segregated as they are have potential. They simple need to challenge their mentors ( too many philosophically opposed to prophecy due to fear ,attendance, tithe pressure and ignorance). God has His reasons for allowing blinders ( that will change with the coming signs and pangs). God bless my fellow Christians it's all good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity