Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 03:45 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Sounds about right. Christians now a days see people as heretics who try to live by Torah, even though the only differences are Sabbath, Feast Days, Dietary Laws, and Hebrew Names vs English ones. So you believe in 90% of the same thing, but are crazy when you do the things Christ did.
Exactly....the traditions of men have been having the upper hand for nearly 2000 years. Just think of how strong the gen curses have been built up in all that time. Takes Yeshua and a 20 ton earthmover to get through 'em. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 09:31 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Sounds about right. Christians now a days see people as heretics who try to live by Torah, even though the only differences are Sabbath, Feast Days, Dietary Laws, and Hebrew Names vs English ones. So you believe in 90% of the same thing, but are crazy when you do the things Christ did.

I have fallen into legalism.

The crazy part of this is the fact that my family are the most legalistic people you would ever run across, only they choose what laws or sins to accuse people with. And I am the least legalistic person I know.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:58 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I have fallen into legalism.

The crazy part of this is the fact that my family are the most legalistic people you would ever run across, only they choose what laws or sins to accuse people with. And I am the least legalistic person I know.

Yeah, me too. What they don't understand is, when Paul (speaking under the anointing) said, all things are lawful but not all things are expedient, it meant we had the choice not to obey the laws or not and because of grace revealed, a lightning bolt was not going to come down and strike us. This is the difference between an OT believer and a NT believer, because Christ has been revealed. HOWEVER, it is not profitable spiritually/expedient if you do not.

The OT came to deal with idolatry, man had forgotten who G-d was. The NT came to deal with hate, and upon the fulfillment of these TWO being dealt with in man, the whole of the law hangs. But just like you can't have one without the other and be "acquitted", so too you can't have the Father without the Son, nor the Son without the Father.

This loss will be painfully evident to all in the next eon, as I keep saying. Peace

Old 06-02-2016, 03:58 AM

525 posts, read 348,310 times
Mike555,

re: "Each Sunday should be a reminder of Jesus' resurrection. "

Any thoughts on why scripture is totally silent with regard to anyone observing the first day of the week as a reminder of the resurrection?

Old 06-02-2016, 08:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Christians periododically plaqued by historic errors of religion ( not scripture) will actually be celebrating Jesus rising from the
dead almost a full month before the anniversary of His crucifiction. So following traditions from man again short circuited our
Hebrew roots tossed out around 325 ad by the churhes good buddy Constantine ( who mandated Sun Day or the worship of the sun god!!!) what a guy!! Anyway, he also took the early church off the calendar . Be careful who you choose to follow as he remained a pagan in spite of opening doors for christians ( politically motivated)..
In Leviticus 23: 5 it says Passover should be on the14th day of the first month. Not January or March but Nisan ( in the biblical calendar ) This year Passover is on Nisan 14 at sundown April 22 .
Who cares? I mean, seriously, who cares?

I mean, what bearing does this fussy bit of pedantry have on the story of Christ's passion and mission on earth?

Old 06-02-2016, 08:50 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Christians periododically plaqued by historic errors of religion ( not scripture) will actually be celebrating Jesus rising from the
dead almost a full month before the anniversary of His crucifiction. So following traditions from man again short circuited our
Hebrew roots tossed out around 325 ad by the churhes good buddy Constantine ( who mandated Sun Day or the worship of the sun god!!!) what a guy!! Anyway, he also took the early church off the calendar . Be careful who you choose to follow as he remained a pagan in spite of opening doors for christians ( politically motivated)..
In Leviticus 23: 5 it says Passover should be on the14th day of the first month. Not January or March but Nisan ( in the biblical calendar ) This year Passover is on Nisan 14 at sundown April 22 .
You're historically ignorant.
The quartodeciman controversy was rectified in the 1st century,
and Christians always celebrated the Resurrection of the Lord
on Sunday (the first day of the week) from the very beginning.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Who cares? I mean, seriously, who cares?

I mean, what bearing does this fussy bit of pedantry have on the story of Christ's passion and mission on earth?
Thats kinda the issue with Christianity now, too many people have a dont care attitude which leads to no standard of truth, which then leads to 38,000 different determinations since everyone has their own belief instead of a common standard of truth.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:43 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Thats kinda the issue with Christianity now, too many people have a dont care attitude which leads to no standard of truth, which then leads to 38,000 different determinations since everyone has their own belief instead of a common standard of truth.
The ONLY truth is Jesus, NOT whatever some group of human beings THINKS they should believe ABOUT Him.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:58 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
Mike555,

re: "Each Sunday should be a reminder of Jesus' resurrection. "

Any thoughts on why scripture is totally silent with regard to anyone observing the first day of the week as a reminder of the resurrection?
While there is no recorded command in the New Testament scriptures for the church to worship on Sunday for the purpose of remembering the resurrection, scripture does state that Sunday worship was practiced by the early church. Acts 20:7 tells us of a church gathering on the first day of the week to break bread and to listen to Paul's message. Paul also directed that on the first day of the week money was to be set aside as each person may prosper (I Corinthians 16:2; see also Acts 11:29), And as seen from Justin Martyr, the breaking of bread, as well as monetary collections was a part of Sunday worship. As well, he states the reason why they gathered on Sunday.

JUSTIN MARTYR -- THE FIRST APOLOGY OF JUSTIN (A.D. 150-160).
CHAPTER LXVII -- WEEKLY WORSHIP OF THE CHRIS- TIANS.

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. [Bolding mine]

Saint Justin Martyr: First Apology (Roberts-Donaldson)
Sunday worship was practiced very early in the history of the church. The book of Acts covers the first 30 years or so of the church. There is no requirement however for the church to restrict worship to any particular day of the week.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:13 PM

525 posts, read 348,310 times
Mike555,

re: "...scripture does state that Sunday worship was practiced by the early church."

Actually, as far as scripture is concerned, there are only two times mentioned with regard to anybody getting together on the first (day) of the week - John 20:19 and Acts 20:7. There is never any mention of them ever again being together on the first. The John reference has them together in a closed room after the crucifixion because they were afraid of their fellow Jews. And they couldn't have been celebrating the resurrection because at that point they didn't believe that the Messiah had risen. The Acts reference has them together very likely in part because Paul was in town and he probably wanted to talk to them before he had to leave again. The breaking of bread mentioned (even if it were referring to the Lord's Supper) had nothing to do with placing a special emphasis on the first (day) because Acts 2:46 says that they broke bread every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity