Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times

Advertisements

I personally feel not blessed at all...to put it mildly. I feel cursed, and have for much of my life. Furthermore, there is awful death and destruction in the world that undeserving people have to spend a lifetime suffering through.

Prayer doesn't help. Or, does it?! God doesn't help or care. Or, does He?!

Last edited by EclecticEars; 04-06-2016 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 10:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Well, damn!

You deleted most of your post and thus made my reply confusing, at best.

So, I'll follow suit.

Last edited by TroutDude; 04-06-2016 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: See above.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:28 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Well, damn!

You deleted most of your post and thus made my reply confusing, at best.

So, I'll follow suit.
Well, I was really rambling and I realize that ain't nobody got time for a novel. So, that's why I deleted it.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:43 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Well, I was really rambling and I realize that ain't nobody got time for a novel. So, that's why I deleted it.
Are y'all one o' them hillbillies from the Ozarks ...?

As for prayer and as to whether or not God is listening and responding, I like to think that a power higher than us just might be able to help out when nothing else in our human world can. I pray at times, just lately for this higher power to help heal my 11 year-old kitty cat buddy who developed a spinal injury back in November. While it may not work it does help to at least hope for some form of divine intervention.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:16 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
As for prayer and as to whether or not God is listening and responding, I like to think that a power higher than us just might be able to help out when nothing else in our human world can. I pray at times, just lately for this higher power to help heal my 11 year-old kitty cat buddy who developed a spinal injury back in November. While it may not work it does help to at least hope for some form of divine intervention.
As an aside, please locate and try an acupuncturist for your cat. My daughter's Doberman had a spinal injury and the medicines did not help so she went to an acupuncturist and the results were instant and miraculous. She did have to repeat sessions periodically, though. Just a thought.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Prayer doesn't help. Or, does it?!
Of course it doesn't...well not in the way that it persuades an omnimax deity to intercede on your behalf. It often helps in as much as it can convince the person that is praying that they WILL be cured and give them some kind of help toward self-healing through 'positive thinking' but you could pray to a flower vase if you really believed that the vase will do the job and get the same results.

Odd too isn't it that we never see people regrowing amputated limbs...but I'm sure that so many of those amputees have prayed diligently for their limbs back.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:01 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
I personally feel not blessed at all...to put it mildly. I feel cursed, and have for much of my life. Furthermore, there is awful death and destruction in the world that undeserving people have to spend a lifetime suffering through.

Prayer doesn't help. Or, does it?! God doesn't help or care. Or, does He?!
My son's mother prayed for for my son as she had done countless times before. Some eighteen hours later they found him dead in his car with the engine still running and a hose from the exhaust through the back window. Does God answer prayers? Or care? You tell me.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As an aside, please locate and try an acupuncturist for your cat. My daughter's Doberman had a spinal injury and the medicines did not help so she went to an acupuncturist and the results were instant and miraculous. She did have to repeat sessions periodically, though. Just a thought.
Did you think for one moment when you submitted that response to my previous post that YOU might be an answer to my prayer?? They say that God works in mysterious ways!

Anyway, thanks. I WILL look around and see if there is an acupuncturist in my area. Scamp was already on daily Meloxicam for arthritis prior to sustaining the spinal injury. The medication remains the same for both.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
My son's mother prayed for for my son as she had done countless times before. Some eighteen hours later they found him dead in his car with the engine still running and a hose from the exhaust through the back window. Does God answer prayers? Or care? You tell me.
What does one say? That is so very, very tragic.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:01 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
I think a person has to be a little selfish and self-centered to believe in a religious god. As long as he and his friends are saved, then nothing else matters.

Whatever prayer is, it does work in some cases. Perhaps the things that don't turn out are proof that prayer cannot be answered in all cases. Personally, I think that people know subconsciously exactly what can and cannot be effective with prayer. But many religious people will still pray for things that they know inside cannot be helped. Because they would prefer to lie to themselves than to acknowledge the truth. To me, that would be separating themselves from that power, and choosing to believe a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity