Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:27 PM

18,525 posts, read 9,212,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Certainly, that's what scoffers conclude when wantonly hardened to what is meant by what little elmer stated.
Little Elmer said that we are partially responsible for salvation. Which is against Luther and Calvin. And against you.

So, which is it? Are people partially responsible for their salvation or not?

Assuming that God is 100% responsible (your view) then it's God's fault that I'm "wantonly hardened." God is 100% responsible for creating faith in me, but he has not done so for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 01:31 PM

45,763 posts, read 27,388,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Do you believe that some people, upon death, will be sent to a fiery hell?
Yes - at some point... but I have never feared that, just like you don't fear that.

I came to Christ listening to a sermon called Three Cheers for Christ. Nothing in it about hell. I didn't know what happened, but I knew something was different inside of me. My girlfriend (now wife) explained to me what had happened.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,272,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yes - at some point... but I have never feared that, just like you don't fear that.

I came to Christ listening to a sermon called Three Cheers for Christ. Nothing in it about hell. I didn't know what happened, but I knew something was different inside of me. My girlfriend (now wife) explained to me what had happened.
You don't fear it because you bought into the program and think you have earned your get-out-of-hell-free card.

Fear of eternal torment is the bedrock of fundamentalism and its main stick for keeping the sheeple toeing the line and coughing up tithes.

Dangling the prospect of heaven is the carrot, since fear doesn't always do the job.

It's worked for centuries but more and more people are educating themselves and seeing through the BS.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You don't fear it because you bought into the program and think you have earned your get-out-of-hell-free card.

Fear of eternal torment is the bedrock of fundamentalism and its main stick for keeping the sheeple toeing the line and coughing up tithes.

Dangling the prospect of heaven is the carrot, since fear doesn't always do the job.

It's worked for centuries but more and more people are educating themselves and seeing through the BS.
Like I said... I didn't fear it BEFORE I came to Christ.

You continue with the mantra, I guess because that's what makes sense to you.

I am telling you plainly - there has never been a fear of hell before or after. Before - I wasn't concerned with it... After Christ - I am glad I am not going. There is an awareness now in me that unbelievers may end up there, but ultimately it is not up to me. If fear helps them make a decision for Christ - great. If fear has nothing to do with it someone making a decision for Christ - great. I just want more people to experience Christ for who He is.

There is absolutely no fear of hell regarding me obeying Christ and paying tithes. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

You want to keep promoting that idea - fine. It is not true - at least in my case.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:18 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,525,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ok, so God is 100% responsible? Is that what you are saying?

I make no boasts. I'm no professional theologian.
God in the Holy Bible teaches two independent truths:
  • 100% credit for faith in the true God belongs to God.
  • Unbelief is 100% fault of the unbeliever.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:24 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,295,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Like I said... I didn't fear it BEFORE I came to Christ.

You continue with the mantra, I guess because that's what makes sense to you.

I am telling you plainly - there has never been a fear of hell before or after. Before - I wasn't concerned with it... After Christ - I am glad I am not going. There is an awareness now in me that unbelievers may end up there, but ultimately it is not up to me. If fear helps them make a decision for Christ - great. If fear has nothing to do with it someone making a decision for Christ - great. I just want more people to experience Christ for who He is.

There is absolutely no fear of hell regarding me obeying Christ and paying tithes. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

You want to keep promoting that idea - fine. It is not true - at least in my case.

It is true for many if not most . In the last Protestant church I went to the favorite challenge of the youth minister was

" If you got ran over by a Dr Pepper truck tonight, would you spend an eternity in Hell or in Heaven?".

The sermons that get people walking the aisle are the ones detailing out how they will go to Hell if they don't believe . The sermon at that church that resulted in a 30 minute " invitation" period for people to come accept Christ, because they kept streaming down , was one in which a substitute preacher detailed out exactly how o accept Christ and exactly the ramifications of not doing so according to their doctrine . The people flooded the aisle to make sure they were on the inside .

Billy Graham made a career out of it .

Old 04-22-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
God in the Holy Bible teaches two independent truths:
Simple logic dictates that if NONE of the credit for believing is due to the believers actions, then the result of not believing cannot be his fault either .

Old 04-22-2016, 05:29 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,525,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Simple logic dictates that if NONE of the credit for believing is due to the believers actions, then the result of not believing cannot be his fault either .
And who says for God to be right, he must conform to human logic?
I bet God even says as much:
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
So to repeat what God in the Holy Bible teaches
p.s. That is where many of the false translations derive from, btw.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
And who says for God to be right, he must conform to human logic?
I bet God even says as much:
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
So to repeat what God in the Holy Bible teaches
p.s. That is where many of the false translations derive from, btw.

That you can try to make yourself belief in two contradictory things because " the Bible says so" shows how religion robs followers of common sense and reason.

So to repeat what simple logic dictates, if all the credit for believing is due to God, the blame for being one of the ones God doesn't cause to believe isn't the non believers.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
It is true for many if not most . In the last Protestant church I went to the favorite challenge of the youth minister was

" If you got ran over by a Dr Pepper truck tonight, would you spend an eternity in Hell or in Heaven?".

The sermons that get people walking the aisle are the ones detailing out how they will go to Hell if they don't believe . The sermon at that church that resulted in a 30 minute " invitation" period for people to come accept Christ, because they kept streaming down , was one in which a substitute preacher detailed out exactly how o accept Christ and exactly the ramifications of not doing so according to their doctrine . The people flooded the aisle to make sure they were on the inside .

Billy Graham made a career out of it .
No it's not the norm. Your experience is obviously limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity