Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 04:07 PM

3,061 posts, read 925,954 times

Advertisements

Whoops! My bad, that will teach me to edit my posts better before sending them off.

My apologises to you Meerkat2, and to Richard 1965, who first pointed out 'MY TYPO.' Now you must excuse me, while I crawl away and hide for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 12:04 PM

35 posts, read 10,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The similarities just seem too striking. Brahma's wife was Saraswati; Abraham's wife was Sara. A tributary of the Sarasvati River is the Ghaggar tributary (Haggar, servant-tributary of Sara/Saraswati.

This is more than just coincidence. The Abraham legend has to derive from the legend of Brahma/Saraswati/Ghaggar.
This is well recognised and you are right to assert it as when terms are borrowed from any language so are any traditional uses. There are numerous examples if one wishes to learn about the similarity between languages. Even though one may argue that the Jewish version of Abraham was recorded first is not proof that Brahma or Brahman were not already terms used by Indians.

Sanskritam is supposed to be one of the direct descendants of the first language formalised as we know many classical languages to be. Taking into consideration that there is no trace of this mother language, the popular Indian belief that Sanskritam is the precursor of all languages has significant weight, especially if you have studied some amount of Sanskritam and looked at the movement of ideas from North India/Central Asia to both eastern and western languages.

In Truth nobody knows but you definitely have good reason to believe.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:14 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,881,263 times
Quote:
The similarities just seem too striking. Brahma's wife was Saraswati; Abraham's wife was Sara. A tributary of the Sarasvati River is the Ghaggar tributary (Haggar, servant-tributary of Sara/Saraswati.

This is more than just coincidence. The Abraham legend has to derive from the legend of Brahma/Saraswati/Ghaggar.
You must be cracking some kind of joke; because that is hilariously funny!

At least it would be, if it weren't the case that some people might actually believe what you are saying.

That particular fact makes it sad rather than funny.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:59 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,193,785 times
Quote:

Aryans lived there : Europe, came to India, Imo they or who were before them received knowledge that spread, all peoples there receive similar knowledge adjusted to their time and culture.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:42 PM

23,313 posts, read 10,614,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
You must be cracking some kind of joke; because that is hilariously funny!

At least it would be, if it weren't the case that some people might actually believe what you are saying.

That particular fact makes it sad rather than funny.
There is alot more to it than you think, so much so that there can be no doubt that one borrowed from the other, and it's my opinion that all people came from the same region, from the same truth, the same concepts you find in so many pagan religions but the Hindu much more so.

Many of their writings are word for word in the bible, and there are just too many links to ever deny a that they came from the same origins.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:26 PM

11,972 posts, read 3,798,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
There is alot more to it than you think, so much so that there can be no doubt that one borrowed from the other, and it's my opinion that all people came from the same region, from the same truth, the same concepts you find in so many pagan religions but the Hindu much more so.

Many of their writings are word for word in the bible, and there are just too many links to ever deny a that they came from the same origins.
Yep

I have been reading some of Clement of Alexandria and he has this to say in the Stromata, Book 1

Clement of Alexandria: Stromata, Book 1

CHAPTER XIII -- ALL SECTS OF PHILOSOPHY CONTAIN A GERM OF TRUTH.

Since, therefore, truth is one (for falsehood has ten thousand by-paths); just as the Bacchantes tore asunder the limbs of Pentheus, so the sects both of barbarian and Hellenic philosophy have done with truth, and each vaunts as the whole truth the portion which has fallen to its lot. But all, in my opinion, are illuminated by the dawn of Light. Let all, therefore, both Greeks and barbarians, who have aspired after the truth, -- both those who possess not a little, and those who have any portion, -- produce whatever they have of the word of truth.

Eternity, for instance, presents in an instant the future and the present, also the past of time. But truth, much more powerful than limitless duration, can collect its proper germs, though they have fallen on foreign soil. For we shall find that very many of the dogmas that are held by such sects as have not become utterly senseless, and are not cut out from the order of nature (by cutting off Christ, as the women of the fable dismembered the man), though appearing unlike one another, correspond in their origin and with the truth as a whole. For they coincide in one, either as a part, or a species, or a genus. For instance, though the highest note is different from the lowest note, yet both compose one harmony. And in numbers an even number differs from an odd number; but both suit in arithmetic; as also is the case with figure, the circle, and the triangle, and the square, and whatever figures differ from one another. Also, in the whole universe, all the parts, though differing one from another, preserve their relation to the whole. So, then, the barbarian and Hellenic philosophy has torn off a fragment of eternal truth not from the mythology of Dionysus, but from the theology of the ever-living Word. And He who brings again together the separate fragments, and makes them one, will without peril, be assured, contemplate the perfect Word, the truth. Therefore it is written in Ecclesiastes: "And I added wisdom above all who were before me in Jerusalem; and my heart saw many things; and besides, I knew wisdom and knowledge, parables and understanding. And this also is the choice of the spirit, because in abundance of wisdom is abundance of knowledge." He who is conversant with all kinds of wisdom, will be pre-eminently a gnostic.

Now it is written, "Abundance of the knowledge of wisdom will give life to him who is of it." And again, what is said is confirmed more clearly by this saying, "All things are in the sight of those who understand" -- all things, both Hellenic and barbarian; but the one or the other is not all. "They are right to those who wish to receive understanding. Choose instruction, and not silver, and knowledge above tested gold," and prefer also sense to pure gold; "for wisdom is better than precious stones, and no precious thing is worth it."

Old 07-15-2021, 02:01 AM

23,313 posts, read 10,614,943 times
Thanks Meerkat, I never read that, so much to read, so much to read, dang.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:39 AM

64,111 posts, read 40,411,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Yep
I have been reading some of Clement of Alexandria and he has this to say in the Stromata, Book 1

Clement of Alexandria: Stromata, Book 1

CHAPTER XIII -- ALL SECTS OF PHILOSOPHY CONTAIN A GERM OF TRUTH.

Since, therefore, truth is one (for falsehood has ten thousand by-paths); just as the Bacchantes tore asunder the limbs of Pentheus, so the sects both of barbarian and Hellenic philosophy have done with truth, and each vaunts as the whole truth the portion which has fallen to its lot. But all, in my opinion, are illuminated by the dawn of Light. Let all, therefore, both Greeks and barbarians, who have aspired after the truth, -- both those who possess not a little, and those who have any portion, -- produce whatever they have of the word of truth.

Eternity, for instance, presents in an instant the future and the present, also the past of time. But truth, much more powerful than limitless duration, can collect its proper germs, though they have fallen on foreign soil. For we shall find that very many of the dogmas that are held by such sects as have not become utterly senseless, and are not cut out from the order of nature (by cutting off Christ, as the women of the fable dismembered the man), though appearing unlike one another, correspond in their origin and with the truth as a whole. For they coincide in one, either as a part, or a species, or a genus. For instance, though the highest note is different from the lowest note, yet both compose one harmony. And in numbers an even number differs from an odd number; but both suit in arithmetic; as also is the case with figure, the circle, and the triangle, and the square, and whatever figures differ from one another. Also, in the whole universe, all the parts, though differing one from another, preserve their relation to the whole. So, then, the barbarian and Hellenic philosophy has torn off a fragment of eternal truth not from the mythology of Dionysus, but from the theology of the ever-living Word. And He who brings again together the separate fragments, and makes them one, will without peril, be assured, contemplate the perfect Word, the truth. Therefore it is written in Ecclesiastes: "And I added wisdom above all who were before me in Jerusalem; and my heart saw many things; and besides, I knew wisdom and knowledge, parables and understanding. And this also is the choice of the spirit, because in abundance of wisdom is abundance of knowledge." He who is conversant with all kinds of wisdom, will be pre-eminently a gnostic.

Now it is written, "Abundance of the knowledge of wisdom will give life to him who is of it." And again, what is said is confirmed more clearly by this saying, "All things are in the sight of those who understand" -- all things, both Hellenic and barbarian; but the one or the other is not all. "They are right to those who wish to receive understanding. Choose instruction, and not silver, and knowledge above tested gold," and prefer also sense to pure gold; "for wisdom is better than precious stones, and no precious thing is worth it."
The JBF's and Charlie's of the world are not ready to engage at this level, Meerkat. They still resonate with the kinds of things that our ancient savage ancestors responded to. Their minds for some reason do not resonate with the states of mind of the Holy Spirit of agape love. They consider it "wimpy" or "hippie."

They resonate with the states of mind associated with power, wrath, vengeance, and the like, not love and forgiveness. They would probably kick "hippie" Jesus out of their house if He actually appeared to them.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:23 PM

11,972 posts, read 3,798,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Thanks Meerkat, I never read that, so much to read, so much to read, dang.
I know what you mean Lol

But Relax! What I do is follow where the reading points, .... either the concept that interests me at the time or the writers they quote - I don’t hold onto one perspective, belief, side, etc

I also find that there are levels to the writings themselves where there is huge redundancy in the writings and I let my attention be led rather than forcing myself, sifting for the gems of information, symbolism that are embedded in them and leaving the rest for later - because I do go back later

In the long run it doesn’t really matter what I read because it is about understanding/comprehending what I have read, but learning is done in stages and layers, and why it has been written is the important thing for me

The writings to me have a network so to speak and I cycle through them and different things come to the surface at different times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity