Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:12 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And maybe the "barbaric" image is false as well, but allows some to push their own erroneous beliefs?
If you cannot discern what is and is not barbaric, you have little chance of knowing or understanding God! Anyone who thinks killing innocent creatures or humans as blood sacrifices to appease God is NOT barbaric has no clue. Anyone who claims to love such a God is a liar, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Could be....what do YOU think of the concept of whipping boys, boys assigned to take the punishment of princes who could not be spanked?
I fear it is hopeless, nate. If they can accept the blood sacrifice narrative anything is acceptable to them. They have no clue what the term barbaric even means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 07:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you cannot discern what is and is not barbaric, you have little chance of knowing or understanding God! Anyone who thinks killing innocent creatures or humans as blood sacrifices to appease God is NOT barbaric has no clue. Anyone who claims to love such a God is a liar, IMO.
I fear it is hopeless, nate. If they can accept the blood sacrifice narrative anything is acceptable to them. They have no clue what the term barbaric even means.
I believe one of two things. Either (1) they are lying. Or (2) they are barbaric and have created their god in their own image.

Either of those must be true. That is certain.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I believe one of two things. Either (1) they are lying. Or (2) they are barbaric and have created their god in their own image.

Clinging desperately to the doctrines they have been taught as their only foundation, would you classify that as lying?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:20 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
I've got to disagree that that is true of ALL such people. I think some people are really, exceptionally adept at compartmentalizing. God who is love is in a compartment which is easily accessible to them. Angry God is in a separate one, and never gets let out (unless it is to be unleashed on those who do not believe in Angry God).

Old 06-28-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I am of a similar opinion.
Quote:
Clinging desperately to the doctrines they have been taught as their only foundation, would you classify that as lying?
Good point that does mitigate my opinion somewhat, nate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I've got to disagree that that is true of ALL such people. I think some people are really, exceptionally adept at compartmentalizing. God who is love is in a compartment which is easily accessible to them. Angry God is in a separate one, and never gets let out (unless it is to be unleashed on those who do not believe in Angry God).
As usual my perceptive and insightful Pleroo has found a flaw in my thinking, along with nate. I guess it is such an incomprehensible concept (blood sacrifice for appeasement) that it simply doesn't register in my psyche as remotely acceptable to ANY thinking being. Chalk it up to my lack of indoctrination in religious nonsense.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:41 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
As long as they love a barbaric god, that is proof of what is inside of them. It might be hidden, compartmentalized, or suppressed. But it is real.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:47 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
As long as they love a barbaric god, that is proof of what is inside of them. It might be hidden, compartmentalized, or suppressed. But it is real.
I agree whole-heartedly. I believed it for 40 years, and it was a darkness within me, for sure.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I agree whole-heartedly. I believed it for 40 years, and it was a darkness within me, for sure.
Now I feel a little better, though I can sympathize with those still trapped, Pleroo. Thank you for reminding me of them. We all have our stumbling blocks and crosses to bear.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:40 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Now I feel a little better, though I can sympathize with those still trapped, Pleroo. Thank you for reminding me of them. We all have our stumbling blocks and crosses to bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity