Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 09:01 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,994,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Amen, to soon to give you a rep so I'll give you a
Thanks. I need all the help I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
But how can we claim to love God, whom we have not seen, if we CANNOT (will not) love our neighbors who we SEE everyday?
If we don't love our neighbor, we don't love God. If we love God we will ldo what He says---not only over our neighbor, love them like we love ourself.

We therefore MUST LOVE our NEIGHBORS before it is possible to LOVE GOD.

Quote:
I think you know the chapter and verse reference, right?
If you know the reference, it gives the order---love God, love you neighbor.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:06 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Then they are not Christ-like.

[url="http://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamined/2013/03/10-reasons-the-crucifixion-story-makes-no-sense-2/"]

1 reason that statement makes no sense: But a natural man doesnot accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him and he CANNOT understand them...(I Cor 2:14).

Thank you for validating one example of the accuracy of God's inspired word.
it makes no sense the way some people teach it. One reason, the problem is when taken literally it goes against observations that are shown to you by your god so that you can learn more about him. I don't even believe in your omni dude and I see that.

You "have to" believe in your omni dude to support your notions about him. That also goes against the "free will" observation that some christians give us as a trait of him too. on and on we can go about mistaken and incomplete observations supporting a strong emotional belief.

on and on? maybe I should say 'round and 'round. 1/2 truths tossed at 1/2 truths.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
But loving neighbor must precede loving God or else it cannot be done--COMPREHENSION

It is not the ORDER it is written, it is the PRIORITY given to the act of loving our neighbor.

By saying GO TO THE STORE AND BUY FOOD, but you cannot go to the store without transportation.

The priority is TRANSPORTATION, otherwise one will never get to the store--despite going to the store being FIRST in the list...

Good analogy but wrongly applied---Loving God is the transportation to loving others.

Remember the old song "Love and Marriage?"

Here is an appropriate line from it: Love and marriage, love and marriage, it is like a horse and carriage. This I tell you brother, you can't have one without the other.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
it makes no sense the way some people teach it. One reason, the problem is when taken literally it goes against observations that are shown to you by your god so that you can learn more about him. I don't even believe in your omni dude and I see that.
So what? Have I ask you to?

Quote:
You "have to" believe in your omni dude to support your notions about him.
Of course. You have to believe in your non-belief to supooort your theology.

Quote:
That also goes against the "free will" observation that some christians give us as a trait of him too. on and on we can go about mistaken and incomplete observations supporting a strong emotional belief.
The Christian's, which should be capitalized even by non-believers, and I know it your rude way of trying to insult us, is no more emotional than your even more emotional belief in your skepticism.

Quote:
on and on? maybe I should say 'round and 'round. 1/2 truths tossed at 1/2 truths.
Maybe you are considering they are 1/2 truths because you lack understanding.

how about an example of a half truth we use.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Good analogy but wrongly applied---Loving God is the transportation to loving others.

Remember the old song "Love and Marriage?"

Here is an appropriate line from it: Love and marriage, love and marriage, it is like a horse and carriage. This I tell you brother, you can't have one without the other.
You may well be right about this, however the point still remains that you manifestly do NOT love God if you demonstrate that you don't love people.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:32 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
How do you know he is?

Maybe it is you who is the poor, deluded soul and I doubt if you even believe in a soul. Hopefully I am wrong about that, but it is usually a bit of secular theology.
You know, until Jesus decides to stop playing hide and seek and actually steps out and says "You're right, you're wrong" this will just continue to be a he said/she said situation in which nobody gets to the truth. Everybody relies on faith which is just belief with no evidence. Christians can't prove there was a Jesus, atheists can't prove there wasn't and the only one who can answer the question is curiously AWOL. Frankly that tilts the odds in favor of the "There was no Jesus" crowd. Certainly Jesus said "IF you have a lamp that's lit you don't hide it under a basket but that's exactly what Jesus is doing. He has a lit lamp (his presence which would prove he exists), but he hides it under a basket (keeps himself well hid from view of everybody) so Jesus is effectively breaking his own commands. That alone rules him out as any sort of Messiah.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:32 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
The thief on the cross never had a chance to show any love for his neighbors, but he loved God/Jesus, and Jesus told him they would be together in paradise.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:50 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The thief on the cross never had a chance to show any love for his neighbors, but he loved God/Jesus, and Jesus told him they would be together in paradise.
So some say.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:55 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You know, until Jesus decides to stop playing hide and seek and actually steps out and says "You're right, you're wrong" this will just continue to be a he said/she said situation in which nobody gets to the truth. Everybody relies on faith which is just belief with no evidence. Christians can't prove there was a Jesus, atheists can't prove there wasn't and the only one who can answer the question is curiously AWOL. Frankly that tilts the odds in favor of the "There was no Jesus" crowd. Certainly Jesus said "IF you have a lamp that's lit you don't hide it under a basket but that's exactly what Jesus is doing. He has a lit lamp (his presence which would prove he exists), but he hides it under a basket (keeps himself well hid from view of everybody) so Jesus is effectively breaking his own commands. That alone rules him out as any sort of Messiah.
And so the only thing we can do is find what works for us and judge that by how it shows in our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity