Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 05:01 PM

64,091 posts, read 40,390,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
He has mocked them. He's made posts that draw on old stereotypes of gay men. He's made fun of them by stereotyping gays as lisping boa-wearers. (I have gay friends who are cops and Marines and doctors and play on community baseball teams. None lisp. None wear boas. All consider it an insult when someone like Viz comes along and posts that garbage.) Viz has mocked the use of the use of the letters LGBTQ to identify members of the lesbian, gay, bi, trans, questioning community. He has made numerous caustic posts expressing his displeasure that a gay American has the right to marry another gay American. An attitude that relegates gay Americans to second-class citizenship. Which is insulting to the gay community, its supporters and every American who believes NO group should be treated as second-class citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 05:03 PM

64,091 posts, read 40,390,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boanerges View Post
If threatening eternal torment with no purpose but torment for all eternity, that the mainstream churchianity teaches, doesn't fit this description of the meaning of this word, i don't know what would.
coercion:
the act of coercing; use of force or intimidation to obtain compliance.
Yes it is 'force', if it is "love and believe in me" or burn forever in a pit of fire that serves no purpose, like maybe correctional punishment, that serves a purpose.
Indeed! It is the Vito Corleone Godfather kind of offer!

Old 08-27-2016, 03:45 PM

4,765 posts, read 2,005,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And why does G-d allow it?...
To show He has given us free will. Robots can't love. God want man to love Him. Not that God needs our love. It is good for man to love.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:30 PM

[quote=maat55;45268842]I mock those that believe the bible is evidence of a loving supernatural being with zero evidence.[quote]

Even if that is true, and it isn't, mocking what people believe is a sign of a lack of civility, which is a sign of immaturity, and there are many far more intelligent than you are, who are Christian fundamentalist. You condemn us for believing what we cant prove, but you believe in evolution that also has zero evidence to support their claims. I can't prove God created the heavens and the earth and you can't prove He did not. When neither side can prove heir point, then we must use logic. All the matter in the universe, and we have no idea how much there is, could not have created itself out of nothing, and it is scientifically impossible for lifeless elements to produce life.Also God tells us that life form ALWAYS produce "after their kind." This what we see every day and can repeat. It cannot be falsified. Since that is a fact, it seems logical to believe the rest of the creation account is also true.

[quote] What I can prove is that your God sanctions slavery, murder, rape and genocide. [quote]

Actually you can't prove God sanctioned any of the things you mentioned. Have you not heard God commanded us not to murder? God made rape a capitol offense. He did send Israel to destroy civilizations that were trying to destroy Israel, but He did not have any of them completely destroyed. One of the things that bothers me the most is that God did not say "you shall not have slaves. but He did not sanction it. He knew it was going to happen so he made rules for it. IMO, it serve 2 purposes. When an Israelite could not support himself or his family, the would become, not a slave, but a servant. He could leave anytime he wanted to. When his time was up the owner had to give the servant enough goods to then provide for his family.

When Israel defeated one of their enemies, some, not all, did become slaves. Being a slave is better than being killed. Also, God knew that eventually slavery would be against the law.

Quote:
Unless, Satan wrote the bible. You debate like a child.
Since you cannot understand the Bible, it is you who debates like a child.

Quote:
The burden of proof is on you to prove Satan/God exists. You can't do this, so like a child, you demand proof they don't. What is clear is that reality is firmly on my side and that your claim is ridiculous.
So are you DEMANDING I prove what I believe, or it just me who is demanding. FYI, asking is not demanding. You see not using the same standard for both of us is childish. The demand for proof is on you as well if you say God does not exist. I am sure you have said God doe snot exists long before I joined the forum I have admitted I can't prove God exists. Will you admit you can't prove He does not?

What is clear is that logic is on my side and logic is better than reality, which we will disagree on what reality really is.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:37 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,449,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
You are half right which is more than usual. God does allow Satan to lie, but he only deceives his children, not God's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And why does G-d allow it?...
Quote:
To show He has given us free will. Robots can't love. God want man to love Him. Not that God needs our love. It is good for man to love.

Any chance you can explain why you think that allowing "satan" to lie and deceive "satan's children" would achieve God's supposed purpose of showing us that God has given us free will?

Old 08-27-2016, 04:42 PM

[quote=maat55;45270821]Jesus has told me nothing.

All teh fundies agree with that statement.

Quote:
It is not reasonable to accept the bible as this message. It is clearly flawed and does not reflect the inspiration of the being you assert.

What is clear is that since you are unable to understand the Bible, your OPINIONS are not valid. Instead of bearing false witness, acussing the Bible of being CLEARLY flawed, why not go to your favorite atheist website and pose the 2 or 3 you think are flawed. You problem is that they can't understand the Bible either.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
He has mocked them. He's made posts that draw on old stereotypes of gay men. He's made fun of them by stereotyping gays as lisping boa-wearers. (I have gay friends who are cops and Marines and doctors and play on community baseball teams. None lisp. None wear boas. All consider it an insult when someone like Viz comes along and posts that garbage.) Viz has mocked the use of the use of the letters LGBTQ to identify members of the lesbian, gay, bi, trans, questioning community. He has made numerous caustic posts expressing his displeasure that a gay American has the right to marry another gay American. An attitude that relegates gay Americans to second-class citizenship. Which is insulting to the gay community, its supporters and every American who believes NO group should be treated as second-class citizens.
If he said those things and he probably did, then he is not exhibiting the love for others God requires of His children. There are some who think that if condemns something, and He does condemn homosexuality, that we need to hate them. Christians are to judged those inside the church, not those outside he church. Those God will judge(I Cor 5:12-13). As someone once said, we are to hate the sin, but love the sinner.

I do object to being called a homophobe. The term is not being used properly and calling Christians that is just a bad as that person calling homosexuals names.

I also object to calling homosexuals, gay. IMO, that lessens the sin and make it SEEM more acceptable.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

Any chance you can explain why you think that allowing "satan" to lie and deceive "satan's children" would achieve God's supposed purpose of showing us that God has given us free will?
Good question and I only have a mediocre answer.

God has given us the way to know when Satan is lying. Sadly non-believers ridicule the Bible. If I knew 100% of all of God's purposes, I would have a better answer. I can tell you this, the Bible says it is not God's will that any should perish2 Pet 3:9 & I Tim 2:4). So there is a way man can repent and come to God. He has not left man without a solution. That goes against the teachings of my denomination. but I have decided God is right all the time and man is only right part of the time.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,307,385 times
Quote:
Good question and I only have a mediocre answer.

God has given us the way to know when Satan is lying. Sadly non-believers ridicule the Bible. If I knew 100% of all of God's purposes, I would have a better answer. I can tell you this, the Bible says it is not God's will that any should perish2 Pet 3:9 & I Tim 2:4). So there is a way man can repent and come to God. He has not left man without a solution. That goes against the teachings of my denomination. but I have decided God is right all the time and man is only right part of the time.
Omega, I understand you are nearing the end of your path and seek solace of mind and spirit before encountering it.

Please believe me when I say the words, "I understand." I have looked death squarely in the eye once and danced in its shadow several times.

But false solace is no solace at all. I'm am NOT saying your belief in a God, or even that the Jesus you picture in your mind IS that God, is wrong.

I don't know that.

What I DO know, is your holy book doesn't have nearly all the answers. It is best suited for fostering questions that may lead to real truth.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,179,164 times
Quote:
So, God wants man to love him of by god they will burn in hell. Nice guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity