Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:37 PM

6,799 posts, read 2,921,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Hate the sin, love the sinner. Just another baseless Christian cliché.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx
Many cliché, including this one have a kernel of truth.
Perhaps. But this one does not. According to the Bible everyone is a 'sinner'. Simply having human traits and not worshiping God appears to be 'a sin'. Who then has the authority to sit atop a pedestal of piety where they can actually 'hate the sins' of others? To label someone a “sinner” reveals an “us vs. them” mentality, where you are the “righteous” person looking down your nose at the poor, wretched, ignorant “sinners” down below who just cannot get their act together. If only they would listen to what you tell them to do . . .!

Quote:
Moreover, God does not condemn homosexuality. If anyone does condemn homosexuality, it's the human authors of the Bible. And, I don't believe they do either when we understand the context of those so-called "clobber texts".
Quote:
The Bible, which was ALL inspired by God, does condemn homosexual acts, not homosexuals.
Are we to take your word that ALL the Bible was inspired by God? You don't know this, you've been taught this by others who also don't know. Or, does the Bible itself state that it is "God-inspired" as in circular reasoning? I don't know. Perhaps the Bible IS God-inspired. But you don't know this. You simply believe that it is.

That said, it seems we're back to the 'hate the sin, love the sinner' cliché. Moreover, before you can state that "God" condemns homosexual acts per se we first need to determine where any such texts are found in scripture that do not allude to practices affiliated with idolatry and temple prostitution.

Quote:
If you don't believe what I just said, that is not my problem. I am not here to convince anyone. I am here to discuss what I believe and why I believe it.
Let me tell you up front that I generally don't accept what someone tells me unless I have actual proof to back it up. What you might tell me is rather immaterial. You're here saying that the Bible says this and that about homosexuality and I'm saying that it does not. And yes, I have read the Bible and have actually spent a great deal of time studying and discussing those very same Bible texts that you claim condemns homosexuality. I say that they do not.

Quote:
You have no evidence that the authors of the Bible were humans. You believe it because what it says, goes against your personal theology.
You don't believe that the authors of the Bible were actually humans? Okay.

Quote:
Well, what word would you prefer for someone who waves a religious book around condemning someone else simply for being who they are?
Quote:
They are not following what God says we should do---love you neighbor. What word would you prefer for someone spouting their ignorance about God and the Bible, showing their bigotry?
Who is spouting their ignorance about God and the Bible? On the contrary, I'm pretty well read on the Bible and I'm always willing to discuss God and the Bible when it comes to this particular topic.

Quote:
I'm calling you out on this. Where in the 'Holy Book' do we find the text, "homosexuality is a sin" . . .? In fact, where in the 'Holy Book' do we even find the term "homosexual" . . .?

Good luck with your answers.
Quote:
I can easily show you but you will not believe it, so what purpose would it serve? Tell me you will believe what the Bible says, and I will gladly post the references, there is more than one.
I'm always open to discussion. Tell me, where does "God" ever state, "homosexuality is a sin" and where is the actual term "homosexuality" even found in the Bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That would be correct - a true Godfather offer.
Amen, Dew! Like God we are supposed to love everyone, even those we think are our enemies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Read it again. I did not say God want man to love Him. I said God want.s man to love. Of course God wants man to love Him also. God wants man to love everybody. If he did, there would be no more war, murder, stealing, rape, etc. Wouldn't that be a nice place to live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I never thought about that distinction before. I like it. Peace
That is because you are focused on laws and obedience and missed the central message of Christ - agape love for everyone.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,389,384 times
Quote:
How could you not, think about it?
It should be first and foremost.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:20 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,053,304 times
Quote:
That is because you are focused on laws and obedience and missed the central message of Christ - agape love for everyone.
Nah, I just obey the Spirit AND the word, the two witnesses. Peace

Old 08-30-2016, 09:50 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
And your obedience has turned you into someone twisted and false.

I think the spirit you heed hisses when he whispers.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:21 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,053,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And your obedience has turned you into someone twisted and false.

I think the spirit you heed hisses when he whispers.

Nah, but the rod I carry will consume the rod of the Egyptians every time. SLURP!....next? Peace

Old 08-30-2016, 03:19 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,997,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I believe gays, like fundamentalists, are much-loved children of God.
They are loved as much as others, If they are not Christians,s they are not children of God.

>>I object to their being demeaned, degraded, dehumanized and being called sinners by Christians carrying bags of rocks.<<

All who demeans, etc homosexuals are not Christians, but you seem to want to limit all to Christians.

Quote:
If you want to object to that...knock yourself out.
If I objected to it, I would tell you

Old 08-30-2016, 03:23 PM

[quote=Richard1965;45290024]
Quote:

The problem is that you cannot understand the Bible either...
That is amusing, since you can't understand the Bible, how do you know I can't?

Old 08-30-2016, 03:29 PM

[quote=TroutDude;45302759]
Quote:

What I posted is true. But your denial was quite predictable.
It was also predictable that you would claim it was true. It is even more predictable that you would not provide any evidence proving it true.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:39 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
How could you not, think about it?
It should be first and foremost.
He does not KNOW the Spirit, Jer. Remember, he can't even describe the Spirit he follows.
Quote:
You cannot obey a Spirit you do not KNOW. To borrow from Trout Dude, "The Spirit you heed probably hisses when he speaks."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity