Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 03:33 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The only ones who approve of a capitalistic society are those who have more to begin with. Or who have some advantage over others, racially, sexually, etc.
I would love to answer this post and prove how absurd it is, but the thread would be turning it into politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 05:43 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
The only ones who approve of a capitalistic society are those who have more to begin with. Or who have some advantage over others, racially, sexually, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I would love to answer this post and prove how absurd it is, but the thread would be turning it into politics.
Allow me to tread there....

Generally speaking this is true..However, in Amerikkka, we have been programmed to believe that capitalism motivates others tt do better--just like the lie that competition is good-- unless it treads on another capitalist who has more power / wealth.

Let's admit that possessions drive humanity, particularly in the so called industrialized countries. The system is self-sustaining based on the idea that we can all be rich one day so they tell us that taxing the rich or holding them accountable is not in out best interest because when we are rich, we will not want those rules and expectations place on us because it is only the wealthy that are job creators..LOL

No one is willing to tell the emperor they have no clothes for fear of being left out of the economic hamster wheel..

Old 01-20-2017, 07:25 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
"Do you own a computer?"

These kinds of questions are attempts to avoid my original question. A computer is job related these days. I use mine for job related activities. Without my computer I wouldn't even have obtained the job that allows me to work.

I'm talking about expensive things. Maybe a second car. Maybe a fancy car. I need reliable transportation to get to work.

But many Christians desire more than that. And some have to nerve to get them. These people are not true Christians in my opinion. They cannot know God and follow Jesus in any real way if they own things that would allow them to help so many hurting and needy people.

Selling an affordable computer that has depreciated to practically nothing in value would just make things worse for everyone.

That question is ridiculous.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
"Do you own a computer?"

These kinds of questions are attempts to avoid my original question. A computer is job related these days. I use mine for job related activities. Without my computer I wouldn't even have obtained the job that allows me to work.

I'm talking about expensive things. Maybe a second car. Maybe a fancy car. I need reliable transportation to get to work.

But many Christians desire more than that. And some have to nerve to get them. These people are not true Christians in my opinion. They cannot know God and follow Jesus in any real way if they own things that would allow them to help so many hurting and needy people.

Selling an affordable computer that has depreciated to practically nothing in value would just make things worse for everyone.

The question is DO WE OWN (POSSESS) ANYTHING THAT WE COULD NOT GIVE UP EASILY OR LIVE WITHOUT (provided it is not a necessity) that in some way controls our thinking.

We all own stuff, but what would it take for us to separate ourselves from it? Not give it away. If we own a car, most people would sell it for the right price and availability of a replacement.

But do we have stuff that we deem TOO VALUABLE to sell? or that we hang on to hoping it increases in value 100 fold before we would sell it?

Anything we possess, that we could or would not sell because we are hoping for a windfall, that might fit the bill..

Old 01-20-2017, 07:37 AM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
"Do you own a computer?"

Actually, a wealthy person can keep on helping the poor over and over and over with his wealth, whereas someone who is himself poor can do little for others in a monetary sense who are in his same condition. A poor person can donate his time in volunteer activities, but he cannot give money that he doesn't have.

Your opinion that a person who has more than the bare necessities is not a true Christian is nonsense.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Actually, a wealthy person can keep on helping the poor over and over and over with his wealth, whereas someone who is himself poor can do little for others in a monetary sense who are in his same condition. A poor person can donate his time in volunteer activities, but he cannot give money that he doesn't have.

Your opinion that a person who has more than the bare necessities is not a true Christian is nonsense.
A person who keeps enough wealth to live in comfort, means that other people are doing ALL of his work. He is contributing nothing. Even Paul says that a person should "work with his hands."

Everyone is striving to obtain a well-paying job that allows them to NOT really work. I think the people who actually work with their hands should be paid as much as those who sit during their jobs.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:46 AM

Polishing a leather cushion with your trousers does not qualify as "work" in my opinion.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:33 AM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
A person who keeps enough wealth to live in comfort, means that other people are doing ALL of his work. He is contributing nothing. Even Paul says that a person should "work with his hands."

Everyone is striving to obtain a well-paying job that allows them to NOT really work. I think the people who actually work with their hands should be paid as much as those who sit during their jobs.
I suspect that your attitude is nothing more than sour grapes resentment toward those who have more than you do. A wealthy person who chooses to do so can contribute more to society, and to the poor than you ever could. There's nothing wrong with being able to live in comfort. The degree of comfort in which a person lives is not a barometer of how much he contributes to society.

Many people are wealthy because they own successful businesses which provide jobs for other people. That is a valuable contribution. Many people got wealthy because they were successful stock investors. The stock market contributes to the nations economy.

Work comes in many forms and encompasses far more than working with your hands. Someone started that construction company, or manufacturing company, or janitorial company, etc. which employs people who work with their hands. If the business owner is wealthy as a result of having a successful company then more power to him.

Your attitude and opinion is that of a whining loser who resents those who are better off than you are. And quite frankly, your opinion is of importance only to yourself.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I suspect that your attitude is nothing more than sour grapes resentment toward those who have more than you do. A wealthy person who chooses to do so can contribute more to society, and to the poor than you ever could. There's nothing wrong with being able to live in comfort. The degree of comfort in which a person lives is not a barometer of how much he contributes to society.

Many people are wealthy because they own successful businesses which provide jobs for other people. That is a valuable contribution. Many people got wealthy because they were successful stock investors. The stock market contributes to the nations economy.

Work comes in many forms and encompasses far more than working with your hands. Someone started that construction company, or manufacturing company, or janitorial company, etc. which employs people who work with their hands. If the business owner is wealthy as a result of having a successful company then more power to him.

Your attitude and opinion is that of a whining loser who resents those who are better off than you are. And quite frankly, your opinion is of importance only to yourself.
Actually, I would be happy to make my current salary in a job that allowed me to work physically more.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Assuming MONEY is the ONLY means of helping another..perhaps in a capitalistic system money is the end all be all.

It then rests on HOW much is given..the widow gave the mite and that was more than ANY person of wealth had given...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity