Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 12:37 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You are right. Those who put the voice within and not the Bible as critical are listening to the wrong voice. Jesus we know had God's spirit and yet he used the Bible not his own inner voice to teach and aid people. A good example and not followed by many. Those who delegate it to a lower position generally are not following many things in it, don't want to and look for a way to say it isn't necessary or real.OH and self exaltation, "Look at me God talks to me".
Yep, and by extension are saying God did not speak to those who wrote the scriptures down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 12:41 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Absolutely! The Bible and the Spirit come from the same source, the Father. They will not disagree.

2 Tim. 3:15

From childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
What this verse is saying is, what i have been saying all along, the sacred writings tell you how and where to seek God and find him. Is that really so difficult to comprehend?.

I tell you that something greater than the temple/bible is here

Old 05-05-2017, 03:18 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What this verse is saying is, what i have been saying all along, the sacred writings tell you how and where to seek God and find him. Is that really so difficult to comprehend?.

I tell you that something greater than the temple/bible is here
I'm glad you finally agree with me.

Scripture according to pcamps.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you finally agree with me.

Scripture according to pcamps.
You still don't get it, you are settling for the bible, when your bible says its him you can seek and know. Not know him through the bible but know him BY the Spirit. Jesus never once said seek me through the bible, he used the scriptures to show those who thought they knew them, that they not only testified of him, but that they should believe what he taught about God.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:34 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,049,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Context, he is God's son and did receive direct communication. However when teaching he said:

Jesus words when teaching:

ASV Mark 12:10 Have ye not read even this scripture: The stone which the builders rejected, The same was made the head of the corner;

ESV Luke 4:21 And he began to say to them, "Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.

NRS John 7:38 and let the one who believes in me drink. As(1 )the scripture has said, 'Out of the believer's heart(2 )shall flow rivers of living water.'"

This is an example for us as we are not Jesus.

His followers got it.

"KJV John 2:22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

BBE Acts 8:35 So Philip, starting from this writing, gave him the good news about Jesus.

DBY Acts 17:11 And these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, receiving the word with all readiness of mind, daily searching the scriptures if these things were so.

Paul:

GNV 1 Timothy 5:18 For the Scripture sayeth, Thou shalt not mousell the mouth of the oxe that treadeth out the corne: and, The labourer is worthie of his wages.

NIV 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

James:

NAS James 2:8 If, however, you (a)are fulfilling the (1)royal law, according to the Scripture, (b)"You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well.

Peter:

NJB 1 Peter 2:6 As scripture says: Now I am laying a stone in Zion, a chosen, precious cornerstone and no one who relies on this will be brought to disgrace.

Following these examples is what a true believer does. Those who do not ......................... focus on themselves by claiming spirit direction with no evidence of it, as it must match Scripture as Jesus' words did.

God's spirit is needed to understand scripture. It takes both not just one or the other.

AMEN, yes it does. Peace

Old 05-05-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Yep, and by extension are saying God did not speak to those who wrote the scriptures down.

Exactly. As IF. Peace

Old 05-06-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Exactly. As IF. Peace
God speaks to man where he is, that is blatantly obvioius from reading the bible,or to put it a different way we only see and understand God by the light we have.

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Tell me Rbb,i does your understanding of God end with the bible(it sure seems like it) or does it begin with the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ?. The unhealthy adherence and place of importance you fundamentalists place on everything contained within the pages of the bible is withour doubt preventing you from seeing the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. Now you would have to stretch every bible verse you come up with to put the bible on level pegging with the one it testifies of. Namaste

Old 05-06-2017, 03:03 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,632 times
Quote:
God speaks to man where he is, that is blatantly obvioius from reading the bible,or to put it a different way we only see and understand God by the light we have.

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
Amen! ...This witnesses to my spirit.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:37 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Obviously God did NOT speak to those who wrote the bible..given the errors and inconsistencies, either they were not listening or God was testing them..either way MAN FAILED...

Old 05-06-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Tell me Rbb,i does your understanding of God end with the bible(it sure seems like it) or does it begin with the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ?. The unhealthy adherence and place of importance you fundamentalists place on everything contained within the pages of the bible is withour doubt preventing you from seeing the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. Now you would have to stretch every bible verse you come up with to put the bible on level pegging with the one it testifies of. Namaste

Would I really, now?

1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; COMPARING SPIRITUAL THINGS WITH SPIRITUAL.

Rom 7:14
For we know that THE LAW IS SPIRITUAL: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

John 17:17 SANCTIFY THEM THROUGH THY WORD, THY WORD IS TRUTH.

Psalm 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness AND FOR THY TRUTH: FOR THOU HAS MAGNIFIED THY WORD ABOVE ALL THY NAME.

Col 1:5 For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in THE WORD OF THE TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL;

Psalm 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and ALL HIS WORKS ARE DONE IN TRUTH.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard THE WORD OF TRUTH, THE GOSTPEL OF YOUR SALVATION: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

1Jo 3:18 My little children, LET US NOT LOVE IN WORD, NEITHER IN TONGUE; but in deed AND IN TRUTH.

Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and THE SWORD OF THE SPIRIT, WHICH IS THE WORD OF G-D:

Heb 4:12 For THE WORD OF G-D is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Again, it takes BOTH the Word of TRUTH, and the Spirit, the level and the plumb line, for unless the Lord builds the house (with HIS "materials") they labor in vain. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity