Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:34 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Are there varying grades of 'morality'?

Let's say we have two men, one doesn't covet his neighbor's wife because he believes to do so would be morally wrong, the other doesn't covet his neighbor's wife because she's simply not his type.

Would religious leaders consider the first somehow morally superior to the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Neither one has done anything wrong.

The second guy would be more tempted to sin when someone his type comes along.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Neither one has done anything wrong.

The second guy would be more tempted to sin when someone his type comes along.
I agree, neither did anything wrong. Without limiting it to adultery I guess my question really is does the reason (could be fear of getting caught, belief, any number of things) for someone following the 'accepted' moral path (and should it) affect how that person is judged?

Old 02-27-2017, 01:22 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I agree, neither did anything wrong. Without limiting it to adultery I guess my question really is does the reason (could be fear of getting caught, belief, any number of things) for someone following the 'accepted' moral path (and should it) affect how that person is judged?
I think you could say that it is the case. There are cases where the law has been broken - but because it was out of love, it was OK. Example - one was not supposed to work on the Sabbath, but if an animal got stuck - you would indeed work to get it unstuck. One lady lied to protect the lives of some men of Israel - but the reason she lied was based on what God did earlier, and her lie protected her family from harm down the road

Ultimately the deeds we do (or don't do) are not what gets us into heaven. But our deeds will be judged pending each one's eternal location.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:

Let's say we have two men, one doesn't covet his neighbor's wife because he believes to do so would be morally wrong, the other doesn't covet his neighbor's wife because she's simply not his type.

Would religious leaders consider the first somehow morally superior to the other?
The simple answer is that the second person has not faced a moral dilemma.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:54 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
The morality wrong were with God ethics is God gave a rule and a follower obeys the rule , and resist braking the rule , .... Then there another follower who obeys the rule and then would judge others of they could obey the rule and then looks down in pride against people who do not follow the same rule ...... where the person in pride would have the rules as an idol

Old 02-27-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The simple answer is that the second person has not faced a moral dilemma.

But is facing a moral dilemma a necessity for living a moral life? It's difficult as you age to know what we were taught vs. what we innately know but I'm of the opinion we would know murder is wrong without being taught that it is.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:16 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
But is facing a moral dilemma a necessity for living a moral life? It's difficult as you age to know what we were taught vs. what we innately know but I'm of the opinion we would know murder is wrong without being taught that it is.
No, but it is a condition for having "morality" applied, otherwise a person is just acting according to his nature.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, but it is a condition for having "morality" applied, otherwise a person is just acting according to his nature.

But if their nature is to be moral, why should facing a dilemma be necessary for 'morality' to apply. I've heard the argument that a belief in God is necessary for a person to live a 'moral' life, an argument I disagree with.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
Quote:

there is basically three levels of the moral.. rev 21 ? 22? basicly give 4 levels.. but I simplified it even more.. rev says it says Rev 22:11
He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

so I boiled these down to these three ....

1. the unsaved .. the immoral and unrepentant NOT now working with His spirit to renew their minds and hearts. they are filthy and or unjust is how you recognize their fruits.

so the next two are
2. the righteous these are those who are right-eous/ right with God and keep their accounts short and submitted to his Lord ship . and they working with his spirit and are in his word to understand him and his kingdom better , and trying with all that is in them to allow him to renew their minds and hearts.
3. then there is" the holy" and I don't know what the difference is because I don't know they would think of themselves as" the holy" but only God does think of them as the HOLY because He has separated ( holy means separated ) them for himself . but I doubt they know they are the holy. They are just running toward him with all they got.

the saved are all to be his disciples/learning from him and that will never stop through all eternity.

Now the unrighteous and unrepentant are running from him with all they got.

so if your examples are unsaved one day they will find someone they will screw with and both will be in the exact same sin. it just takes time or money.
so on ward and up ward.. or in the books of the Chronicles of Narnia as they say " further up and further in.."

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 02-27-2017 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity